Bloodstock DVD? Yey Or Ney?

Jonoleth

Sep 3, 2003
Leeds, UK
What do all you my fellow Bloodstock devotees think to the idea of Ye Olde Bloodstock DVD? i reckon twould be a wise investment on behalf of Vince and Co. Id but me a copy? Any chance that if there was a strong pre-ordering that it would be possible? Go on, Vince, you know it makes sense! With such a good lineup it would sell worldwide... and would definately enhance the already shining name that Bloodstock doth posess!

I think it's a good idea but probably requires an uberinvestment on the part of vince + co buying rights to record each band etc. and then they will all have to get a share... it might not be profitable for a festival this size, most compilations are made by labels to reduce costs :-( though it would boost publicity and might even make a small profit. Who knows? but I can't see it happening.
I would definately buy one though.

i dont see why it wouldnt happen if pre-orderings were strong, DVD making is cheaper than you think and with the fact that you can sell them for 18ish quid profit margins are rather large... but yes i can see recording rights being a beehatch to get... but hey this is metal! our fellow brothers should pose us no problem in our quest for mettalic DVD's!

Cool idea, but can definitely see that huge investment needed to start it. However, bands might want to include their performances on their own dvd's so rights etc could be negotiated?? I would buy one, definite! :headbang:

To be fair the only cost that is that major is really the camera work and the filming itself, cos you need professional quality stuff... Maybe a CD is the way to go for now? and then develop it into a DVD when the festival has established itself a bit more...

Dream Thief said:
Yeah, it would be great for us to re-live some of those moments!! Good idea mate.

I'd buy one...

(I suppose you need a few more votes yet eh Vince!! ;) )

Are bootlegs frowned upon?

Providing they aren't sold...

i dont see why they would be cos theyre not exactly in this for the money... its all about the metal! although there are recording rights issues but i assume that your average bootlegger cares not for this beurocratic bull...

Making bootlegs isn't illegal I don't think, it's just illegal to sell and trade them so that gives security the rights to take recording equipment away, at least that's what I think.
Often the resulting quality of a bootleg isn't worth the trouble in the first place, as you often have to hide the equipment, making it muffled, then it's closer to the crowd noise more than anything else so it's always a little off. Plus you can't go wild when you're constantly checking your tape recorder to make sure it's still attached and functioning!

i think it is illegal cos you need to pay copyright to have their music and their performance... thats two lots of seperate copyright... at least thats how i remember it...

yeah - DVD manufacturing and authoring isn't as expensive as you might think. Granted the filming might be, but a couple of Sony DP170 cameras (as used by the BBC for some broadcast material) hired for the day for the live stuff, a decent editing package like Vegas/Premiere and you're away to a good start.

I agree about negotiating for the bigger bands to get songs might be difficult/costly, but certainly the smaller/unsigned bands could contribute/donate a live song (take the sound from the desk) and you're away.

The other point is that a lot of bands (MR included) are making promo videos nowadays, and a bit like the 'Bloodstock on the Road' franchise, where it's tours for bands who have played Bloodstock, I'm sure that a DVD along the same lines would go down well. Bands involved with Bloodstock past and present could either donate a live song or a promo vid. Great exposure for us lot, plus a great souvenir for people who go to the festival.

FourWayKill
Biomechanical
Illuminatus
Mercury Rain (ahem...)

All have videos out or coming out soon, and I'm sure that other bands have footage.

Doesn't have to to be Dolby DTS and all that stuff, but more 'quick and dirty' would surely be acceptable to most people... if priced accordingly... £12.99 maybe ????

Baletempest said:
Cruel Humanity too Volcane, tho' I'm not on your DVD (You can see the back of my head and my arm and thats it, curses:p)

Sorry to hear that mate - I expect you're on the cutting room floor... LOL !!

Yep - add CH to the list then. There's five bands for the DVD without thinking about it too much.

Actually, I'd rather support bands who may not get any airplay on Scuzz or Kerrang! The only way we get to see any underground stuff is to download it, and then you don't exactly get the full impact.

i'd buy it. But somethign like that they might only distribute it in a few places online. I would want to know where it would be available of course :D
YES TO BLOODSTOCK '04 DVD

well metal shops and on the bloodstock website would be the obvious places... even if its only sold in a few places im sure the vast majority of bloodstock goers would buy one as a memento of what is the best the UK has to offer...