Remaining Central America tour dates cancelled

May 28, 2004
Tokyo
DEICIDE: Remaining Central American Tour Dates Cancelled - Nov. 24, 2008
Vocalist/bassist Glen Benton of the veteran Florida-based death metal band DEICIDE has released the following statement regarding the group's Central American tour dates:
"This morning [Sunday, November 23] we went to the airport in Honduras and the fine folks at [the airline] gave our tickets away to other people, and when we tried to change the tickets and make the remaining shows, there were no other flights available to get us to El Salvador, and the promoter expected us to drive across countries, through document and border checks and with no guarantee of safe return. And, because our agent didn't give us any contact info or contracts for the promoters down there, or answer his phone (we called 100 times with no answer), we were forced to come back to the States, completely because of the way this Central American run was mishandled by the promoter in Central America and the agent. We had no choice but to come back or get stuck there without flights.
"We are in touch with our evil attorney and I can assure you someone will pay for the fucking we got and the fans got, with my and DEICIDE's sincerest apologies, but it was completely out of our handsÅcthank the unprofessional job of the agents involved and [the airline], especially the supervisor of [the airline] in the Honduras airportÅc and to the local promoter in Honduras who fucked us last night, the fans there can thank you for DEICIDE never playing your country again...unless your so-called 'concert promoters' get their heads out of their asses in a big way.
"I want to make clear that not only did we get screwed by shoddy planning, but the real losers here are our fans who were looking forward to seeing us play as much as we were looking forward to doing the shows Å\ we know how crazed Central and South American fans are for a brutal DEICIDE show, and the fans got fucked. We try very hard to keep all our commitments, and you know we take care of our fans.
"I wish this had turned out differently, but the matter was unfortunately out of our hands."
DEICIDE and VITAL REMAINS will team up for a package tour in early 2009. The two bands will bring their infamous live performances to major markets across the United States in February. Support on all dates will come from ORDER OF ENNEAD Å\ the Florida extreme metal band featuring Steve Asheim (drums; DEICIDE), Scott Patrick (bass; RESURRECTION), Kevin Quirion (guitar, vocals; COUNCIL OF THE FALLEN) and John Li (guitar) Å\ and ADRIFT, the Tampa-based heavy rock band featuring Jack Owen of DEICIDE/CANNIBAL CORPSE fame.
DEICIDE recently tapped Kevin Quirion from ORDER OF ENNEAD as its new touring guitarist. Quiron made his live debut with DEICIDE on September 13 in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Fan-filmed footage of that performance can be viewed below.
On August 25 in Europe and September 2 in the U.S., Earache Records reissued "Scars Of The Crucifix", the classic 2004 album from DEICIDE, as part of the Earache Classic Series. "Scars Of The Crucifix" was reissued with a bonus DVD, featuring a never-before-seen live show filmed in Nottingham, UK in 2003. "Scars Of The Crucifix" was the last DEICIDE album with guitarists Brian and Eric Hoffman, and this exclusive DVD will be the first and only official DVD release to feature the brothers!
DEICIDE's latest album, "Till Death Do Us Part", sold 2,900 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It is the follow-up to "The Stench of Redemption", which registered a first-week tally of 4,000 back in 2006.

To report any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, please send an e-mail to bmouth@bellatlantic.net with pertinent details. Anyone posting such material will be immediately and permanently banned. IP addresses are recorded to aid us in enforcing these conditions.
COMMENT | ..........
posted by : Totalp26
11/24/2008 9:40:03 AM

Hey Glen,
Maybe you should call up Satan and get him involved in this. Just for you, I bet he would put a smack down on them.
COMMENT |
posted by : bigborman
11/24/2008 9:47:04 AM

come to montreal canada..... please. i love satan and hate celine dion..... sti
COMMENT | Haha
posted by : EricFGregory
11/24/2008 9:50:49 AM

I think he should just post names and phone numbers. Let their fans sort it out.
COMMENT |
posted by : hang-the-bastard
11/24/2008 10:09:35 AM

someone will pay, and you will profit.
COMMENT |
posted by : Daisy May Tinklepants
11/24/2008 10:10:29 AM

have they ever had a tour that wasn't canceled......?
COMMENT | Totalp26's comment
posted by : 1fiend
11/24/2008 10:19:07 AM

Totalp26
...now that's funny
COMMENT | LOL
posted by : S810
11/24/2008 11:06:10 AM

I like this comment "but the real losers here are our fans". Yes, I know it's out of context but I just thought it was funny.
COMMENT |
posted by : bigborman
11/24/2008 11:45:32 AM

wow.... this is not a post about the axl rose show !!??
COMMENT | What?????
posted by : Neil Young's Cocaine Booger
11/24/2008 11:51:45 AM

Deicide cancelled some shows?????
In other news......water is wet and the sun is HOT!!!!!
COMMENT | S810...
posted by : MetalMartyr.com
11/24/2008 11:54:50 AM

my thought exactly...I had a good laugh when I read that too. I used to be a "loser" Deicide fan.
COMMENT | The point is being missed
posted by : AstlAdrift
11/24/2008 12:24:08 PM

Deicide didn't choose to miss these shows or cancel them. The way the travel plans, or LACK of plans, were made, resulted in the unfortunate necessity of being forced to cancel.
Imagine you're going to countries you've never been to before, Central American countries, hotbeds for metal fans, but third world in almost every regard. And that you're told that flight plans are handled on major airlines, with at least a presumption of safety over third world "puddle jumpers".
Now imagine you get down there, play the first show, and are told by the local promoter that the airline tickets have been "given away" (however that happens, it's much more probable that airline tickets were never purchased in an attempt to save money by the local promoter), and that everyone has to pile into a cruddy van and drive 230 miles through the jungle, past document and army checks, through borders. No guarantee of safe passage or entry into these countries. And I remind you we're not talking about nice paved US interstates. We're talking about roads through jungles and mountains, sometimes paved, sometimes not. Bandidos, Shining Path, and who knows who would love to get a hold of a high profile band like Deicide.
I ask you, would you keep travel arrangements like that, solely to keep from being blasted on Blabbermouth by some dickheads with no idea of what they're speaking? Hell no. All of you would have made the same decision. But here comes the speculation du jour about Deicide "cancelling shows." What a crock of shit. You detractors just love to flame Deicide about shit of which you have no knowledge or idea, just because they've cancelled shows in the past. Get over yourselves.
From personal experience, the touring business is filled with snakes and shysters conniving about ways to screw bands out of money, thinking that once they get to these places, they'll cave in and set aside their safety for a meager payout. Touring bands (unless you're Aerosmith or Velvet Revolver) don't make near as much money as you probably think. Safety and people keeping their words is much more valuable than that. If you've been in a band that has toured on any scale, you understand what I'm saying.
So, go ahead and make blithely ignorant comments calling Glen & Deicide out. You'd have done the same thing in the same situation. But whatever.
And yes, I'm Deicide's attorney, so I *do* have personal knowledge of this situation.
COMMENT |
posted by : rds
11/24/2008 12:29:24 PM

i remember when DEICIDE played a show up in Denver, Co. in the mid 90's @ the Mercury Cafe with a killer group from Utah, WICKED INNOCENCE. CEPHALIC CARNAGE loaned WICKED their gear, DEICIDE was flown in for this gig (so they had no gear) and were mad because they had to use other peoples gear that wasn't black (Steve, Cephalic's guitarist had painted his cabnet green, and John's drums were white)
Glen and DEICIDE refused to play, and causing a full riot (everyone was mad and tore up the place, Denver PD was called, and DEICIDE left running scared)
i should have recorded the malay (as i brought my camcorder to record the show, i did record WICKED INNOCENCE though)
that just goes to show that Glen always has to have it his way, and make the fans suffer, we all paid to get in and DEICIDE was still paid for NOT playing.
Glen is a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COMMENT | Hey Deicide Attorney...
11/24/2008 12:38:32 PM

Did you ever stop for a second and think that the reason why Glen gets shit on and made fun of all the time is because the guy has shit on his own fans many, many times since the mid 90's and overall is, well, an assbag.
COMMENT | hahahaha
posted by : Steve Guttenberg
11/24/2008 12:46:08 PM

I always said that CHINESE DEMOCRACY would come out before GLEN BENTON actually does a full tour without CANCELing shows
COMMENT | BOO HOO!!!!
posted by : bluesman85
11/24/2008 12:59:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Fuck Deicide! They're more effeminate and queer than Boy George. I hope the band gets counter sued, and ends up going bankrupt!!
COMMENT | To my fellow heavy metal brothers in Central America
posted by : Chainedown
11/24/2008 1:04:59 PM

Sorry for the news y'al. I hope you guys get something in compensation someday...:(
COMMENT | Hey Totalp26...
11/24/2008 1:34:23 PM

I posted describing what happened to this run in Central America. I do not address any issue from the past, because bluntly I have no knowledge of it - just like you don't. You feed off of rumor and hyperbole, keeping the mill churning, and hide behind your keyboard as most of the cowards here do. I speak only of what I know. You'd be much wiser to take that piece of free advice and do just that.
But you won't. You'll post a snarky reply calling me an "assclown" or "cockbag" or whatever trivial derision your walnut-sized brain can cutely come up with.
Your characterization of my client, of a person you don't know and likely have never met, unless briefly in passing, with any colorful childish jibe, is unfounded and thus ignored as baiting.
Have a great day, though.
COMMENT | AstlAdrift
posted by : Bloodcurse666
11/24/2008 1:46:21 PM

Well put!!!!
COMMENT | thats a shitty thing to happen to a band
posted by : brutalidad
11/24/2008 1:59:43 PM

but this statement: "We try very hard to keep all our commitments, and you know we take care of our fans." is so insanely incorrect its embarrassing.
COMMENT | two sides of the story
posted by : kara11
11/24/2008 2:04:51 PM

I do understand that promoters fuck up. but on the other side, Deicide does have a management company, and if I was going to Central American i would want proof of tickets, hotel etc. up front. This is not the first time a band has been screwed nor will it the last time, but wake up and get your ducks in a row before you go. And if you really wanted to do this, you should have gone with a better booking company who has done C. Amerca shows in the past and this would not happen.
maybe in general, get a new mamagement team and booking company and then you wouldn't have to cancel.
you get what you pay for!!
COMMENT | HAHAHA!
posted by : signofattack
11/24/2008 2:29:17 PM

Im glad DEICIDE got shit on.
Glen is a faggot.
He always bitches out 4 shows into a tour!
COMMENT | AstlAdrift
11/24/2008 2:37:18 PM

First of all, what do you mean "hiding behind your keyboard as most of the cowards here do"? Do you want us to post our fuckin names, addressess and phone numbers? Tell me Mr. Attorney, what would you like for me (us) to do to prove we are not cowards. It's the fucking internet.
Also, I have been to 5 Deicide shows. 3 ended about 20 minutes into the set, 1 was an entire set with Glen chiding the crowd the whole time and the other was cancelled due to "circumstances beyond they're control". When asked specially to comment on it, Glen had "no comment". AS A FAN THAT PAYS MONEY, I have every fucking right to bash him and his band when I feel the need.
Unlike you, who is PAID to stick up for Glen, I was simply a pissed off fan who was sick of getting ripped-off.
I would be willing to bet that if Glen defaulted on paying his fees for your services, you suddenly wouldn't be a supporter of his?
Same goes for his fans. We buy his music, pay to go to his shows, etc. and then get screwed-over. Therefore, I no longer support him.
And as Kara11, sounds to me like Glen and his staff need a complete overhaul and have someone in charge that actually knows what they are doing.
COMMENT |
posted by : holdfast
11/24/2008 2:52:19 PM

Apparantly the deicide camp is so busy spending their time trolling fan boards they don't have time to verify tour plans. I hope that known christian Glenn Benton is aware his lawyer is surfing the internet on work time.
If he is, for you "loser" deicide fans, I hope you are happy that the proceeds of the tshirts and albums you buy are going towards some weasel lawyer trolling your internet forums.
Glad they don't come to canada anymore due to their steroid bust up here. What is worse, cock rockers dressing up like women on stage or "death" metallers taking roids to appear more manly on stage.
No wonder bands like Kreator and Candlemass are legends and Decide are just posers.
COMMENT | here's an idea....
posted by : tripledisstilled
11/24/2008 3:11:45 PM

try advancing your tours! Thats where you or someone you pay calls all promoters, clubs, sound co.'s, etc, before you leave home! Duh, think you'd know that by now, you've only been touring since the invention of the T E L E P H O N E ! Try it sometime, it works, you might even use that call to have that special cup of blood that you like so much waiting for you when you get there, and if thats a deal breaker, thats the time to cancell the show, or sick your laywer or agent on them. Class dismissed.
COMMENT |
posted by : dnlg88
11/24/2008 3:20:20 PM

"We're talking about roads through jungles and mountains, sometimes paved, sometimes not. Bandidos, Shining Path, and who knows who would love to get a hold of a high profile band like Deicide."
Yeah booooohooooooo fear the horrible third world. Your ignorance is overwhealming I don't even know what to say to you but this, I would bet my left nut that if Deicide walks in a mall here in Caracas, if ONE person recognizes him it would be too much.
Deicide may be high profile in the metal scene, still they are fairly unknown over here and the roads over jungles and bandidos what the fuck man stop watching cartoons.
COMMENT |
posted by : dnlg88
11/24/2008 3:23:25 PM

overwhelming* english is not my first language as you can see.
COMMENT | Totalp26
11/24/2008 3:26:33 PM

I'm not PAID to stick up for Glen or for Deicide. As I plainly stated, I was responding about THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT IN CENTRAL AMERICA and clearly said not about anything in the past. I have no knowledge about your show experience with Deicide except what you've said, to which I have no comment other than that sucks, I'm sure you were disappointed. But don't be so quick to judge or jump to conclusion.

If 20 minutes into a gig a roadie or crew member told you you weren't getting paid by the venue, would you continue to play? These guys do this for a living, it's their job. Do YOU want to go work a week at your job and not get paid? Of course not. But this happens on the road more times than I can count. And it's happened to Deicide a lot.
So I'm saying, it more than likely was not Glen "burning" anyone. You are, however, entitled to your opinion.
Kevin D. Astl, Esq
Post Office Box 152325
Tampa, Florida 33684-2325
(813) 435-6757
astl@verizon.net
Adrift will be out on tour with Deicide in the US in February of 2009. I'll be glad to have this discussion with anyone in person.
Oh, and by the way, "holdfast", my time is my own, I can do and post anywhere I please. The steroid bust was on the Hoffmans, NOT on Glen & Steve. And news flash: all bands with any level of success and common damn sense have an attorney - no matter HOW they pay for one. They'd be stupid NOT to have one when record labels are as lawyered up as they are.
COMMENT | Good point AstlAdrift
posted by : jgun
11/24/2008 4:11:29 PM

I look forward to seeing Adrift. How about a Anchorage, Alaska show? There are a lot of people into metal up here.
COMMENT | hahahahahahaha
posted by : demonspawn
11/24/2008 4:29:25 PM

This attorney guy is the biggest joke!Ask any judge or lawyer in Florida that has been in the courtroom with him.He is absolutely the perfect attorney for Glen.He advertises his legal services with a picture of him drinking a beer looking like a fat troll!hahahaha!Soooo professional.Good job.Just sit in front of your computer and try to set everyone straight.You're doing great.
COMMENT | Kevin D. Astl
posted by : holdfast
11/24/2008 4:43:15 PM

"This morning [Sunday, November 23] we went to the airport in Honduras and the fine folks at [the airline] gave our tickets away to other people, and when we tried to change the tickets and make the remaining shows, there were no other flights available to get us to El Salvador"
Contradictory quote here: the airline 'gave our tickets away' and 'when we tried to change the tickets' - really implies that the giving away the tickets never happened since how can you trade them when they were given away? I guess there is no straight story with deicide.
Funny about you lawyer guy, I have never seen ANY other band's lawyers post in a forum, having to defend them. Rather hilarious actually.
By the way, does using quotes around my on screen name make you feel big and special, somehow put you in the cool club? Oh and thanks for informing me and the masses that bands have lawyers, I guess that is why you are the lawyer for Benton and his crew of 'performers' and we are not.
COMMENT | AstlAdrift
11/24/2008 4:45:41 PM

I respect your stance and your valid arguments.
Don't get me wrong, I do understand and see where you are coming from on this. I, as a fan (or former fan) of Deicide, simply laugh when I see stories such as this Central America fiasco. While I do agree with what you've stated, I simply cannot overlook the fact that Deicide has turned into an ongoing joke for quite some time now. It sucks for Glen and his band and I truly wish them the best. However, until something changes, I will continue to have negative comments and feelings toward him because something ALWAYS happens.
Thanks for the lively conversation. Take care.
COMMENT | demonspawn...
11/24/2008 4:51:36 PM

Or should I say Eric Hoffman? You could be one of the Tranquilizer guys, but I really think this is Eric. You've obviously mistaken my personal My Space page for my professional one. Oh my Satan, I drink beer! Holy shit! I must be a terrible attorney! Obsess much, Lover of LaVey?
Clearly you know fuck-all about my legal background, I have 10 years with over 85% success rate, better than 9 out of 10 lawyers, but that's ok, keep cracking wise. In any case, I can't WAIT to show your lawyers what the fuck is up, and SOON. You'll see what a "joke" I am as I put your retarded ass on the stand and work your tiny insect-like intellect into knots. I'll enjoy doing so, too. It'll be so easy I won't even break a sweat. I hope you get angry enough to jump me, too.
So keep laughing Roid Boy. You've got a reckoning coming. In a big way.
COMMENT | whoa
11/24/2008 5:08:01 PM

Calm down lawyer boy.I am NOT Eric Hoffman but thanks.My father happens to be an attorney who lives in Florida and has had the "pleasure" of working with you.Don't you think it's a little funny for a lawyer to lower himself to the level of arguing on this site?Wow.Once again...you're doing good.BTW--you sure have alot of anger for Eric Hoffman.Maybe you should talk to someone about it.hahahaha!
COMMENT | Whoa yourself
11/24/2008 5:34:07 PM

So, who is your "dad" who has had the "'pleasure' of working with me"? Somehow I doubt that scenario at all, but in any case, if your "father" WAS opposing counsel on any of my clients' matters, it's not likely he would have liked me all that much - I don't take a lot of BS on behalf of my clients and keep a relatively strong stance.
So, who is this phantom relative? Name the firm at least if you don't want to name him - for whatever reason. Maybe I have the same opinion of him and his "skills".
And who cares? I have thousands of satisfied clients and don't need the approval of every attorney who opposes me - or their scoffing children. Why does it "lower me" to post here? Am I not entitled to an opinion? I also play in Adrift, so it is certainly relevant for me to check the site regularly, and cripes! Even post! Imagine that!?!
COMMENT | Well clearly, from this...
posted by : Superbeast
11/24/2008 5:44:13 PM

"I can't WAIT to show your lawyers what the fuck is up, and SOON. You'll see what a "joke" I am as I put your retarded ass on the stand and work your tiny insect-like intellect into knots. I'll enjoy doing so, too. It'll be so easy I won't even break a sweat. I hope you get angry enough to jump me, too."
... you're extremely professional.
COMMENT | First of all
11/24/2008 5:50:45 PM

I didn't say my father opposed shit.I said he had the pleasure of working "with you".Maybe the firm is your own,genius.Figure it out.None of this matters anyway.I just wanted to see how much you care about what people think of you.I rest my case.And yes it very silly for you to check this site regularly.Most successful lawyers and musicians have busier schedules and don't have time to fuck around on blabbermouth all day long.Take Care.
COMMENT | ^^^
posted by : S1gma
11/24/2008 6:08:02 PM

So why do *you* keep coming back?
COMMENT | because
11/24/2008 6:14:51 PM

I'm not a lawyer or a musician and down here in my mom's basement--I have LOTS of time on my hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a copy of the thread from blubbermouth.
Interesting to say at least.
Well, I for my self gotta say that if Deicide are making their living of the band I can't believe that they easily cancel shows. So it must be really the last thing to do. To cancel a gig I mean.
I saw them 3 times in the early days with the Hoffmans and they always kicked ass. I even had some funny chats with Glen. I for myself can't say anything bad about Deicide from my experiences.