Bloody Behringer.. (BMW)

Seizure. said:
oohhhhh, a live mixer in here...

dude, what do you useally boost/cut on kick drum/snare and Bass? and now where at it guitar?

Actually I do things very similar to in the studio, but it depends very much on the PA. The thing I usually find annoying in concerts is high mid, so I usually try to cut back a little extra there.

Bass is ever as tricky as in the studio I must say, but my experience tells me that a live situation is more forgiving with the bass. I normally just take care of some resonant frequencies (specific to the room of course) and that's enough.

Kick drum, cutting a lot of low mid. If the PA can provide it, I also add low rumble. Nothing beats that good old pant movement, hehe... Snare, cutting some low mid and add bite, wherever the snare sounds best.
I usually bring an Alesis D4 and use it for snare and bass drum and it's really a life saver. Especially if the PA is crap. I've picked out some samples that I usually don't have to EQ much at all, it's very convenient.

I have to point out though that I don't have THAT much experience with live sound, but I've gotten very good reviews of my sound after the shows, so I must be doing something right, haha.

Gomez said:
Me and my band once played in Bristol (UK) at a venue called "the bierkeller". The ENTIRE system at the venue is beringher: Desk, outboard, speakers... everything, everywhere.

Sounded BAD. all the bands that night sounded shit....

The face of Decapitated's engineer as he walked into the venue, was priceless though.

Saw porcupine tree there, the sound was mega awesome. :loco:

Where She Wept said:
:worship:
so what's wrong with the eurodesk? i used one for live sound at a club i used to work for. I ripped the thing apart to clean it and it was built really tough. only an idiot would think that a $120 tube preamp cold compete with one in the 4 digit range. come on:loco: if you could afford a Neve 1073 would you buy an ultragain? And so what if the tube is running starved, I bet you guys are true bypass freaks as well. Don't forget tubes are completly inefficient compared to a transistor, yet you put a tube in front of a solid state circuit that converts it to digital, and eveyone starts jackin' off. a neve 1073 is completly transistorized, so does that mean it sucks too?

God, if you guys whine this much. i'll start a figgin Star Wars debate

Defeat you, james will.

tgs said:
Actually I do things very similar to in the studio, but it depends very much on the PA. The thing I usually find annoying in concerts is high mid, so I usually try to cut back a little extra there.

Bass is ever as tricky as in the studio I must say, but my experience tells me that a live situation is more forgiving with the bass. I normally just take care of some resonant frequencies (specific to the room of course) and that's enough.

Kick drum, cutting a lot of low mid. If the PA can provide it, I also add low rumble. Nothing beats that good old pant movement, hehe... Snare, cutting some low mid and add bite, wherever the snare sounds best.
I usually bring an Alesis D4 and use it for snare and bass drum and it's really a life saver. Especially if the PA is crap. I've picked out some samples that I usually don't have to EQ much at all, it's very convenient.

I have to point out though that I don't have THAT much experience with live sound, but I've gotten very good reviews of my sound after the shows, so I must be doing something right, haha.

thanks man!! as you maybe read.. i´m just at it!! so any advise is helpfull!:headbang:
allthough the thing that realy helped the band i mixed out was ADDING lower mids:p realy made the balans between their crazy riffs and chords much better!! but hell it was only a pinch.

btw, with cutting out mids in the kick.. do you mean doing a sweep searching out that bad ass frequency and then taking it out with a pretty wide bandwith? (since its in the 400/600 sometims lower area most of the time anyway right?...)

Where She Wept said:
:worship:
so what's wrong with the eurodesk? i used one for live sound at a club i used to work for. I ripped the thing apart to clean it and it was built really tough. only an idiot would think that a $120 tube preamp cold compete with one in the 4 digit range. come on:loco: if you could afford a Neve 1073 would you buy an ultragain? And so what if the tube is running starved, I bet you guys are true bypass freaks as well. Don't forget tubes are completly inefficient compared to a transistor, yet you put a tube in front of a solid state circuit that converts it to digital, and eveyone starts jackin' off. a neve 1073 is completly transistorized, so does that mean it sucks too?

God, if you guys whine this much. i'll start a figgin Star Wars debate

JP ... come out come out whereever you are !!!!!

Seizure. said:
thanks man!! as you maybe read.. i´m just at it!! so any advise is helpfull!:headbang:
allthough the thing that realy helped the band i mixed out was ADDING lower mids:p realy made the balans between their crazy riffs and chords much better!! but hell it was only a pinch.

btw, with cutting out mids in the kick.. do you mean doing a sweep searching out that bad ass frequency and then taking it out with a pretty wide bandwith? (since its in the 400/600 sometims lower area most of the time anyway right?...)

Adding lower mids, yeah if it's required. I mean, I may be out on a limb here, but it's easier to give advise like this for studio work since you basically know where it's gonna end up (in people's stereo speakers/headphones). When you work in a live enviroment, you work on different systems every night. Different situations calls for different solutions!

I work in a very similar way to what I do in the studio. I listen, figure out what sounds wrong, if something in the high mid sounds wrong I boost it and sweep to find the problem, then cut (or run up on stage to move the mic). If something's lacking, I try to find what's lacking. Most of the time, if you look at the EQ after I've done a live session and compare it to one from my studio work, they will look kind of similar. Sometimes I do things very differently though. If the situation calls for it.

With the bands I've worked with, I've assisted them with everything. Tuning their drums, helping them set up the amps, etc. This way, I have a very good foundation for setting the PA sound! Especially when it comes to the guitars, there are so many guitar players who crank up the highs just because they have a straight cab and knee level! Roll of the highs, give them some monitoring and problem solved.

Working with live sound is STRESS as you have to attend to EVERYTHING at the SAME time. But in the end, I find it very rewarding. That's why I sometimes even do it for free. :Spin:

What!? now i'm being compared to that JP dork? Why? Is this board turning into another click of internet nerds who rip on everyone that doesn't do things their way, or feel the same way about their favorite little trick?

man, with my own two eye's i've seen people make a Dual Rectifier sound like shit. but does that mean Mesa makes a bad amp? fuck no!

I'm sorry i don't have all the gear you guys have, you're all so smart at this stuff i'm so unworthy :worship:

Please forgive me and stop ridiculeing me in the Andy Sneap forum, please, or my life will never be the same again! :cry: :cry: :cry: ,l,,

Where She Wept said:
What!? now i'm being compared to that JP dork? Why? Is this board turning into another click of internet nerds who rip on everyone that doesn't do things their way, or feel the same way about their favorite little trick?
well, no one said anything about doing anything in any way, or any trick. we were "ripping" on a company.

Where She Wept said:
man, with my own two eye's i've seen people make a Dual Rectifier sound like shit. but does that mean Mesa makes a bad amp? fuck no!
you know you're right... and this PROVES that Behringer is quality in my book. :Smug:

Where She Wept said:
I'm sorry i don't have all the gear you guys have, you're all so smart at this stuff i'm so unworthy :worship:

Please forgive me and stop ridiculeing me in the Andy Sneap forum, please, or my life will never be the same again! :cry: :cry: :cry: ,l,,
awww, don't be a girl about it. wait..... "Where SHE WEPT"... it all becomes clear...

lol.. j/k man.... it's all good. \m/:p,l,,

Unfortunately, I use Behringer shit because I'm not as fortunate to have as many ducats to throw around as the rest of you seem to be able to do. I actually got a shitload of stuff off a friend for *cheap* after he had to close down his "studio" for the sake of going out and getting a real job. I think the only non-Behringer pieces of equipment he had were Nady power amps (ucky), a POD Pro, and a Digitech Vocal Processor. Now...I don't run around calling myself a producer/mixer/engineer/etc like he did....he was all into the talking up of himself to make himself get more business...he even referred to me as his "I.T. Department" since I fixed his computer.

Until I can afford anything other than what I got, I'll be stuck with the Behringer shit I got and my 2 M-Audio Delta 66 cards. I get decent results with what I got, but I'd like to be able to make it sound better. Better mic's & real pre's and shit will get me better results: I know that.

Executioner213 said:
he even referred to me as his "I.T. Department" since I fixed his computer.

LMAO!! That's like a guy in the pub I used to frequent who would go to the bar, order a round and realise he was a bit short then say to the barman "I'll just ask my accountant" at which point he'd turn to his wife and ask for some more money. :tickled:

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
I'll quote Daniel Bergstrand here, "With a shitty eurodesk and a lot of patience, you could make a great album."

I'll have to agree with that, I've heard good things done on Eurodesks....I'm doing OK things on one, and I'm far more impressed than I ever was with my Tascam 4 track, and even so over the shitty Peavey 8 channel mixer head I was using to go into my computer....so as long as I feel like I've gone a step ahead and am happy with my results (sorta), then I guess I'm making progress.

yes, yes... i don't think anyone here meant to say that it's IMPOSSIBLE to get good results from crappy equipment.... but it is a lot harder to achieve, and if you can get good results from crap gear then imagine what you could do with something that actually sounds great in and of itself. to me his words are not only true, but very telling on another level; he used the word "shitty" to precede the word "Eurodesk" for a reason.

James Murphy said:
...and if you can get good results from crap gear then imagine what you could do with somthing that actually sounds great in and of itself.
My thoughts exactly...:)