Blues

panzerfaust666

German Asshole
Feb 24, 2007
Kelowna,B.C. Canada
Thread where you talk about Blues, Blues/rock,Blues/Country etc etc. groups that you enjoy and are dont.

Currently Im digging:
-Jimi Hendrix-Learning Little wing currently, on the guitar. Harder than it might seem.
-Joe Bonamassa-Fuck ,this guy, is fucking insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me the most genuine blues is still the old Mississipi/Delta blues played by actual blues men like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson. That stuff just has an atmosphere and genuine emotion behind it that I find is just missing in the modern day blues players. (which is not to say that they are bad, but it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way)

To me the most genuine blues is still the old Mississipi/Delta blues played by actual blues men like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson. That stuff just has an atmosphere and genuine emotion behind it that I find is just missing in the modern day blues players. (which is not to say that they are bad, but it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way)

+1 Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Freddie King, Albert Collins, Albert King, Son House, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy etc.... Chicago and Delta Blues... my 2 faves...

I agree with this.

The feeling is awesome. I've heard it said, "The Blues is nothing, but a good man feeling down." And the traditionalists expressed that better than anyone. However, what some of these "young guns" are laying down(Bonamassa,Derek Trucks, Kenny Wayne Sheperd etc etc is fuckin' incredible. Excellent thread idea!!:worship: For country/blues try Townes Van Zandt.

I listen to a bit of Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters, the blues is a genre I definitely need to explore more.

John Lee Hooker is fuckin' legendary. Check out the disc-"Live at the Cafe a Go Go." Muddy Waters playing guitar along with John Lee. Otis Spann was on piano. New York City from 1964. The production is raw and gritty, but so is this style of blues. This contains a gig played at a prison in California from 1972 with John's son on guitar. One of the best cd's I own.

I love the rough guys Son House and Robert Johnson, but I also like most electric guys like Joe Bonamassa, Robin Trower, Peter Green, Lance Lopez. Also got a pretty sweet cd by Big Jack Johnson called The Memphis Babeque Sessions... actually a random teacher I didn't have gave it to me one day at lunch in highschool.

I feel the opposite, I think old blues is weak, thin and missing the feeling, I perfer the blues of the past 4 decades

Check out this Jimi Hendrix cover band i saw few weeks ago. Stan Skibby and his Band of Gypsys is name of them. Close your eyes you'd think Jimi is in the room w/ you. Unbelievable.

Pretty good, not completely the same but sounds great. I hung out with a dude when I was in Boston that could sit there and play Little Wing, Wind Crys Mary and it was equivalent to Hendrix, long slappy fingers, the groove, the voice everything. It was a great experience, he was also the one that turned me on to fusion. I witnessed him through a process of writing this song that completely blew me away it was kinda fusion but more grounded like rock, very deep, very intence. I swore up and down within 5 years everyone would know his name but I have never even found him as a studio musician. A real waste of natural talent, he knew little of written music and didnt spend all his time copying others, he just knew the fretboard and could play what he felt, or what he heard, on the spot. I waited in line a few guys behind him for the improv eval and we watched him, he walked in, plug in and no matter what they threw at him he just kept that guitar singing, it was awesome. Didnt help my nerves much though... lol. The instructors were intimidated as well and it showed because even though he had this natural gift and astonishing ability for on the spot improv and rhythms they used the "you know nothing about 'music'" vise. He claimed to have know the Isley Brothers and had jamed with them a few times, he said Earnest played "bullshit". In away I believed him because when I asked if he had also met Hendrix he said no but when he was young he had seen him around when he(Hendrix) hung out with the Isley Brothers. So if he was all talk I figured the stories would have been bigger, if you know what I mean. He was actually very down to earth, deep, somewhat ecentric and similiar to Hendrix he was humble about his playing, not an egotist, he had strong feeling about music though and said most rock bands played "bullshit", they didnt try hard enough to explore new territory and had no rhythmic groove. Just a great experience I felt I should share.

Belligerent, thanx man for the video. Even looks like Hendrix, and the bass player looks like Billy Cox. Good cover, talk about "hero" worshipping!

No problem.
Yeah his facial expressions, mannerisms and everything were spot on. His guitar playing was impeckable, and his tone:worship:. Really was a suprise to see such a good opener. I was going to see "Prezence" which is a touring Zeppelin cover band and he opened up.

Here's another vid:

No, from a bar in Frankfort,IL called CD&Me. Good place to see live shows in a beer garden in summertime. But he did play bluesfest. If you check out his other vid's on youtube there are a few from him playing in Poland. I talked to his manager and he said they were playing in Lithuania this month.

Yea I love that tone. I think he also brings his own element, naturally, all of his phrasing is not the same as Jimi's. I'd go see this guy if he came around, they probably will too, so this is what Im supposed to look for "Stan Skibby and his Band of Gypsys" ? Or does the show go by some other title ?

I checked for local concerts and the only thing I found was a Zep show, I forget now, named after some Zep song, but it wasnt the same as your "Prezense" and no Stan Skibby or Hendrix tribute bands what so ever. You got me itchin to hear some Hendrix live.... I could just cry, or scream, always felt that way. At least I got to see SRV once...... twas AWESOME too ! Mahogany Rush once, great show but so long ago I forget much, only that I was very satisfied. Never Trower though, bummer!