Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Blut Aus Nord - Mort
Candlelight Records – CDL157 – 10/03/2006
By Nathan Pearce

mort_cover.jpg

I’ll start by saying that I think Blut Aus Nord is EASILY one of the most talented metal bands on the planet. Their evolution from progressive pagan metal to ultra-progressive black hole metal has been a gradual undertaking that has been nothing short of astonishing. This band approaches each album on its own terms, and Mort is no exception.

Mort is technically a single composition split up into eight parts. Unlike Meshuggah’s amazing Catch 33, Mort is definitely meant to be heard as one song. It would have actually been better if the band/label wouldn’t have split the song into 8 parts. Mort is a focused experiment in total deprivation. By this I mean the listener is deprived of everything they want to hear. Guitars are constantly detuing (sort of Blut Aus Nord’s signature sound), vocals come at the listener from different angles, and the music just swirls to no end. Listeners never get the satisfaction of hearing a riff or vocal line that they can catch on to. Listeners can’t even get the satisfaction of feeling like the sound is coming out of their speakers correctly. But this is what Mort is supposed to sound like. Never before has a metal album been so successful in achieving both physical and mental unbalance in the listener. If you were to take the slightly ambient or “psychedelic” parts from The Work Which Transforms God and magnify them, perfect them, and make them even darker, you would basically have Mort.

This album creates nothing short of the feeling of falling endlessly down a deep, dark hole. Mort will unsettle you and it will probably piss you off a little, but it will never be a cliché. If you’re in the need for something unique and frightening, this is your album. I can’t wait to see where Blut Aus Nord goes from here.

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Blut Aus Nord’s Official Website
Candle Light’s Official Website

Reactions: Skaldir
I was disappointed by it. Sure, it's queasy, weird and off-kilter, but all 8 "parts" sound like minor variations of one theme. "The Work Which Transforms God" was not only heavier, but the songs were more diverse and distinct. Still, I'll say these guys can create an uneasy mood like no one else...

after several listenings MORT is their darkest album
but i'm not shure it'a still "metal"

i won't say that MORT is their weakest album but TWWTG or TMBOR seems so "happy" in comparison.
it's a matter of taste but for me no one has done such a dark album for a very longtime peole that says that's it's the same track and the same riffs should buy new ears or learn guitar...

if it's too dark you're too weak

seems like this one is like "Mystical Beast" judging from what you are saying (in general)... one big brooding, dark cluster of sound, and not afraid of each song using the same key and using that as a variation or pivot point.