Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Blut Aus Nord – The Work Which Transforms God
Candlelight Records - 2004
By Nathan Pearce

blut.jpg

Originally released in 2003 on the very small and very hard-to-find label Appease Me, Blut Aus Nord’s The Work Which Transforms God has finally found worldwide distribution on Candlelight Records. Let me tell you, this is a VERY good thing. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, that enjoys amazing, forward-thinking metal, and especially black metal, should get this album NOW!

The Work Which Transforms God is essentially an adventure in atmosphere, texture, and sound. Blut Aus Nord uses black metal as their canvas, and they’ve chosen to paint with several shades of the darkest black. Their use of keyboards is on par with the music composed in the early 90’s Norwegian scene. Keyboards simply add texture and atmosphere. They DO NOT drive the song. Blut Aus Nord has chosen to use drum programming instead of a real drummer. Excellent choice! I’ve NEVER heard a more proper use of the drum machine. The resulting cold precision adds magnificently to the overall ambience of this album. Furthermore, Blut Aus Nord has managed to use a drum machine at slow tempos, without sounding like crap.

Sure, black metal has done all of the above-mentioned things, and black metal has done all of the above-mentioned things well. However, Blut Aus Nord, and more specifically, The Work Which Transforms God has somehow combined the grim, primitive style of certain early 90’s black metal bands with their own sense of extreme innovation. Songs ebb and flow between trance-like, rhythm-guided sojourns of the deepest abyss and blistering, cold blasts of ice and wind. Throughout, Blut Aus Nord never once lets themselves fall into a rut. They never allow their music to become even borderline cliché.

While The Work Which Transforms God might seem like another trip down the industrial or post black metal back alley, Blut Aus Nord has truly gone WAY above and beyond anything that’s been done before. The Work Which Transforms God is probably one of the most amazing black metal albums produced in the last several years.

10/10

Blut Aus Nord’s Official Website
Candlelight Records’ Official Website

The pack I got described Blut as "Mayhem sodomizing Neurosis with a Godflesh dildo" o_O or something to that effect. Probably about as accurate a description as one could come up with, but still far short of just how disturbing the album is.

Really, it makes most other black metal and gore metal sound infantile. This is far, far more unnerving... :OMG: