Bochum review a few days late

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Ok, this is kind of a funny story. I met up with two italian nevermore fans at the airport and hitched a ride with them (after spending an arm and a leg to rent a car) to a cool little hotel in Dortmund. We left for the show early and stopped at some park across town so they could buy some weed. We waited in the park and finally they got hooked up and we left for our car parked on the street near the entrance. As we were walking down toward our ride a police van turned the corner and proceeded to stop us and search us for drugs. I was thinking..."not this time too....I just want to see this fucking show!" I thought for sure we were spending the night in jail instead of Bochum. But, they searched us and found.....nothing. They let us go and apparently one of my friends threw the bag away when he saw the van coming. (Bravo Andrea...sei in gamba!!!) So no jail...just Nevermore.

So we got to Zeche and I met up with Narrot who posts here often. Very nice guy. I also saw my other friends from the last show that got cancelled, so it was cool.

The doors opened and I went up front between Jeff and WD and waited patiently. Show was supposed to start at 8, but 830 is when the lights finally went off. Some guitar tech was fucking around for 1/2 an hour which made me wonder....why now? They had the entire afternoon to make sure things were properly set up.

The crowd was getting fucking impatient and there was a lot of energy.

Finally Precognition started and everyone was going nuts. The band came out and busted into Final Product and it was on from there.

I wont post the setlist because it has already been posted.

As already mentioned, there were actually quite a few fuck ups during the show. I dont know if they were nervous or what, but I was kind of surprised, not that it is anything that important. The biggest blunder was Warrel making a big speech before The Heart Collector, and when they started the song, Van accidentally went into Born while everyone else played The Heart Collector. WD told me after the show that Van's setlist was folded over so THC was covered up and he couldnt see it properly. Chris's guitar fucked up during THC when they played it, too, and that was noticable. WD also missed a few lyrics and timed some things incorrectly. But nothing made the show any less enjoyable than it was. Best Nevermore show I have ever seen...the setlist was awesome although Engines of Hate and 7 Tongues would have ruled. I was also surprised they only played two songs from EOR. I was hoping maybe Ambivalent since I havent heard that one, or Tomorrow Turned into Yesterday. But, like I said beore, just an awesome show with so much energy.

Met all the guys after the show..even Van who tried to sneak away, but I caught him and talked for a few mins. WD gave me the setlist as a reward for returning to Bochum from Boston after the first show was cancelled. I would take the pic and scan it but I dont have my camera with me here in Italy. Talked with Jeff for a few mins about past gigs in Nottingham and stuff, which was fun.

Funniest quote of the night....

random fan to WD when he was signing shit post-show: "Do you like signing autographs and being famous?)

WD: (Looked around, kind of taken back)..."Uh, well...it doesn't suck...) :p

Jim said the DVD most likely wont be out until June. It will sound great when Andy gets his hands on it, I am sure. Concerning Steve, I asked, and was told what we already know...he is awaiting a doner and transplant, and that was all.

So the show kicked ass, hard. After 15,000 miles travelled, lots of money, a near arrest in Germany, I can finally die a happy man knowing I was at this great event:headbang:

Mike -I will be absolutely all over the DVD....I am sure you will be as well, Narrot, assuming there are crowd shots from the stage directed towards the audience. We were right up front.

The Heart Collector-/Born mistake wasnt on purpose.

I didnt see any problems with people getting back into the club after the show, CYBERMAX....I met the band right in the main stage area...

Hopefully the Seattle show will get a TINY bit of a DVD peice... only because Will, I, Dan, and a few others were in the front row. :D

The show was great!!! Unfortunately I can´t be at so many concerts anymore, because I don´t have time because of my job and study.....But I´m really happy that I was there. Garden of Grey and Matricide....whoooow, the goose bumps didn´t want to go away. Sorry Josh that I couldn´t make it to pick you up at the airport, but I couldn´t get away from work early enough. Great to hear that you found some people to hang out with before the show. :headbang:

First of all hallo everyone!, I’m new and this is my first time in this forum!
Hey Devy, it was a pleasure to read about your journey to Bochum, it’s nice to know that someone else had the chance and the guts to make such a long trip for Nevermore, so this is my highway odyssey!
I live in Brescia, a city near Milan, and I made twice by car the 1000 km to Bochum.
In September I organized the journey with two friends (but one left us just before leaving) and to prepare ourselves at best for the show we stayed for two days in Amsterdam….
… despite all, we came back home with a smile!
Unfortunately, my friend can’t be with me in October, so one week before the show I’ve found two other fellow travellers.
Probably you’re asking “why didn’t you catch a plane?”
Actually it wasn’t a bad idea, but with the right guys riding with you, 1000 km can be a nice adventure, besides we could save some money.
Everything seems ok, departure was set on Tuesday night (the day before the show), but… but… but during the departure’s day one by one my friends told me that they cannot come (for valid personal reasons).
Unfortunately it was too late to book a flight, so at 11.30pm I started my trip to Bochum.
Thanks to a diet based on coffees, redbulls and cigarettes everything went fine, and even if the breaks were more frequent throughout the last 150 km (I was dead beat) I arrived at 6.30pm.

This was the third time I saw the band during “this godless endeavour” tour, and even though they’re always been great, this show was really special.
A nice and “hot” place like Zeche was the ideal choice to let energy between the band and the fans explode, this night of pure and on fire metal will turn pale the big-sold-out DVD on the market.

At the end of the show, spent to fight on the front rows (and maybe even to impress my face on the DVD), I passed the 24 hours of wakefulness, and my mind surrendered, going through states of euphoria and moments of hysterical irritability…. Ridiculous, I know, but true…
my social skills and most of all my bad English left me alone!
Like few fans I waited the guys after the show, but I was only able to ask Warrel to sign the covers (even one for my first yellow-traveller); luckily other fans were more talkative, otherwise Nevermore would have thought to be surrounded by zombies!
After satisfying my childish side (wasn’t that on the instruction of the kit for a fan?) I took my car and at the first petrol station I parked and get my 8 hours of deep sleeping!
Thursday morning, after the hundredth coffee I starter my slow return, and I arrived home Friday 13th (you know, he always came back, ah ah ah ) at 2pm.

No need to say but after this experience my love for Nevermore is bigger than ever! Three days sleeping in petrol station or on the highway have their tribute to pay; now I’m home with a terrible cold, but it’s worth it.
Bye everyone!