Bogner Überschall VS Podfarm w impulses // rate please

A is podfarm and B is real.
To me A just sounds too digital and fake, cab sims and impules just don't do it for me.
I much prefer the warmth of the analog sound, the shape of the spectrum just sounds better.

man this makes me feel weird ;-)
of course tone is soo subjective, and i honsetly still prefer the real bogner as lasse knows his stuff,
i would have never gotten close to his sound with mmy shitty skills.
but i know podfarm in and out, and i just wanted to test, whether there is really something
in digital amps that turns people of (as some people say, and i believed that till today as well...).

this test once again shows me : its really alll too subjective. there is no "digital" sound . if there is, we mistake digital as clear.

[ A BOGNER ---------- B PODFARM ]

this is weird.... congrats to guitarhacks for thes great impulses, they are still some of the best available. this again shows one thing : if it sounds good, it sounds good. whether the real deal or simulations. (nice because my axe fx cost me 2100 euros hehe)

i will post more tests. also including the axe fx.

so whatdoo you guys say ?? ;-)

hmm... I say Eq can really do miracles :)
Btw
Clip A fooled us cuz of the boomy palm mutes and had too much bass.
Clip B is surely better Eq'ed (any kind of plugin in the chain before podfarm? i guess there's at least a comp)
I agree with u bout the "no digital" sound

Nice blind test. I believe that in 5 years micing amps is going to be obsolete.

I don't think so.
the modellers are getting better and better definitely, but no modelle rwill ever be able to give you all the details miking an amp does.

moving the mix 2 mm to the left ot right, angle it by 1 or 2degrees, choose a different sm57 (yep, they all sound different), move the cab about 10 cm in the room, change preamp tubes, have the mic pre a notch higher or lower...all these details (and there are thousands more) will never be modelled accurately, just too many tiny changes and subtle nuances.

do we need all those to create a good sounding record?
no
will they always give us a unique and perfect tone for a record?
yes!

even if the quality of modellers will be as good as the real deal you'll never have all the nuances miking a cab gives you

the bogners only had hp and lp added. i was advised to not eq the sound,
so i didnt. podfarm was btw.

the chain was :

PRS 7 STRING // KLOPMANN PICKUPS
podfarm w / diamond plate model
guitarhacks JJ 45 angle (i guess thats what its called)

i used a curve eq blueprint from the bogner tracks, applied them
to podfarm, to see what i had to tweak (mostly highs).
i removed curve eq after tweaking.

there was also lowpass and highpass added after guitarhacks. (but thats really only technical eq, no aesthetical eqing)

to be fair : guitarhacks is actually an eq with room added (an impulse)
maybe if i tweaked the bogners, i could get them sounding exactly the same.
but again thats not what i was going for. i was just working my way from
podfarm into the real world, trying out how close i could get.

more to come. thanks guys for helping!

even if the quality of modellers will be as good as the real deal you'll never have all the nuances miking a cab gives you

+ 1 !

but tweaking an ampsim to sound good is also still a science ;-)
i dont think its about the modellers any more,
its about the cabinet simulations.

lasse : pleease release you custom impulses !!! :headbang:

I don't think so.
the modellers are getting better and better definitely, but no modelle rwill ever be able to give you all the details miking an amp does.

moving the mix 2 mm to the left ot right, angle it by 1 or 2degrees, choose a different sm57 (yep, they all sound different), move the cab about 10 cm in the room, change preamp tubes, have the mic pre a notch higher or lower...all these details (and there are thousands more) will never be modelled accurately, just too many tiny changes and subtle nuances.

do we need all those to create a good sounding record?
no
will they always give us a unique and perfect tone for a record?
yes!

+100000
And moreover, I feel way better playing with some real amps, real mics, real cabs, real pots and also with real drums....that playing with simple plugins,impulses,etc....I mean, when I used plugins too I dream about real amps, when I used midi drums I dream about micing a real kit, etc...
I think it should be the essence of this job... the excitement of playing with a cool gear and trying to find new solution everytime.

Well, I read an article that was written circa 1989 where the digital recording pioneers said that recording to tape would get obsolete and nobody believed that back then.

so true, in this day in age I would have to be very ignorant (not saying any of you are) to say that thing B will never sound as good as thing A. especially after seeing/hearing the progression of audio technology over the past century

id love to do a comparison between

a miced recto against the modelled axe fx pre/powerampsection with an impulse taken from that sepcific session.

could be an eye opener to what has to be perfected in this whole process and what is really annoying about impulses (because we all know
no one can actually name exactly whats wrong with impulses/modellers)

I agree that the simulations will always be different from the real deal. I mean like in the way DAWs made tape recording obsolete. Sure, tapes are still used sometimes and there´s no tape simulator plugin that nailed it 100%, but there´s no denying that the sound quality and convenience of DAWs surprassed tape recording

...and I also believe that in 5 years Line6 still will be releasing the same PODxt models repackaged as new products :lol:

The point in my opinion is that there is nothing to be happy about it.
I mean, 4 plugins and you have the equivalent of 10k € of equipment, you don't have to place mics, the singer doesn't need to sing well because there is autotune.....
The next years I will expect to see some 5 buttons guitar hero instruments in a shop, and a daw that mix without a producer....only with presets.
Everybody here love to record,mix, master I suppose...and I know the technological advance is unstoppable....even for these reason I don't understand why you are so happy.
Probably in 10 year the figure of the engineer/mixer/producer will disappear, or its work will be so limited that he will earn a pittance.