Books

I tend to stay away from reading that heavily requires attention span; that, and there just isn't more than 168 hours in a week. I don't have the time for that.

So my reading generally tends to lean toward stuff that's interesting but still relatively simple. For example, the last book I read (just finished) was Jim DeRogatis's bio on "The Life And Times of Lester Bangs: America's Greatest Rock Critic." Wickedly brilliant stuff too. Anyone who's seen the movie 'Almost Famous,' the character who mentors the kid in the beginning (played by Philip Seymour Hoffman) is Lester Bangs, and the kid is Cameron Crowe. It's based on a real life event that happened. Anyway, it's essential reading if you at all enjoy music and writing and the rockstar life.

Now I'm reading "Zodiac Unmasked" by Robert Graysmith, which allegedly sheds new light on the infamous Zodiac killer of the late '60s/early '70s. I have a morbid fascination with serial killers...

Bump, because I finished the Satanic Verses last night. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys the strange and unusual. Also for those who are looking for a very creative use of language.

Current reading list:
Essential Jung
Heart of Darkness
The Closing of the American Mind

Black Winter Day said:
NAD, you might find heart of darkness boring the first time you read it, but if you pay close attention and analyze what conrad is trying to say, the book unfolds like the wrapping around a wendy's spicy chicken sandwich
Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite movies, so I'll probably enjoy it. Might go to Wendy's for lunch today now... :D

It was quite entertaining, but it's obviously aimed at a younger audience. I will be reading the rest of the series though, I borrow them from my mom (she's a huge fan).

Ever read the Chronicles of Narnia? Similar stuff.

You'll like it then. :) I haven't read Narnia for eons man, I'm going to read them again soon.

My lovely girlfriend (yes, she's sitting right here) just bought me Fury by Salman Rushdie and On The Road by Kerouac, so tomorrow I'll finally read Heart of Darkness.

Read 1/3 of Heart of Darkness last night and it was all I could do to walk outside, throw it into traffic, and laugh hysterically as I watch the papers torn to pieces. THAT BOOK SUCKS ASS. I won't be finishing it.

Finished On The Road last night. I now want to quit my job and wander the country.

Stick with Heart of Darkness - the movie documentary. If you liked Apoc Now, you'll love this compendium.

By the way, did you know Tolkien and Lewis were in class together at Oxford? They use to read their stories to each other at a pub called The Lamb and Flag. That used to be my watering hole. :D

Anyway, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe is brilliant, and I won't lie when I tell you that I got choked up over Aslan's demise.

Having said that, I got pretty choked up when Mufassa died in the Lion King, so maybe I have some closet penchant for lions, heh.

Lionboy. :)

I love Apocalypse now, which is why I bought the book. Damn stupid pompous crap...

Didn't know that about Lewis and Tolkien, and now I know the first pub I'm going to when I hit the UK. There used to be a British-style pub up the freeway from me called the Pig's Ear. They had all sorts of beer on tap there and just a great atmosphere. Now it's a fucking Margaritaville, making my hatred for Jimmy Buffet run even deeper. :mad: