Books

Finished Fury last night, ran out and bought more Salman Rushdie tonight (The Moor's Last Sigh), so I guess I liked it. :)

Bah, the book was contrived. I'm sure Conrad used to sit around telling everyone what a great writer he was. :)

I would hardly consider myself a casual reader, but I suppose you are right that I shouldn't judge the book too much since I never finished it, and probably never will. ;)

Dolphins are about to win, hurray!

YOU! RISE!

I just started reading the second Harry Potter book last night, it's amazing how vivid her writing is, given that the style is aimed at such a young audience.

After that it's onto more Salman Rushdie, The Moor's Last Sigh is on tap.

A buddy of mine got me a book for Christmas...

Tim Burton - The Melancholy Death of Oysterboy & Other Stories

James

james_1.gif

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that
he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year

:loco:

I'm currently reading Michael Crichton's Prey. Then it's onto The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla, motherfucker!!!!

Bump for spaffe although I can't answer the question. :loco: http://www.bn.com has quite a handful of reviews for Greg Bear books though, and that Darwin's Children book sounds intriguing.

Finally finished The Name of the Rose tonight, a book that I was supposed to read 8 years ago for Composition I and II in high school (I rented the movie instead, haha). On to more Kerouac next, then hopefully Tolkien's Unfinished Tales.

I love Catcher In The Rye By J D Salinger...its one of my favourite books
Also had read this book a long time back called 'Stab in the Dark'...dont remember the author, real nice book...

NAD said:
Bump for spaffe although I can't answer the question. :loco: http://www.bn.com has quite a handful of reviews for Greg Bear books though, and that Darwin's Children book sounds intriguing.

Finally finished The Name of the Rose tonight, a book that I was supposed to read 8 years ago for Composition I and II in high school (I rented the movie instead, haha). On to more Kerouac next, then hopefully Tolkien's Unfinished Tales.

thanks i'll check out that site. i saw him on a documentary on discovery channel and he had apparently been hired by nasa to come up with some form of plan on how to act when we make contact... or something like that, can't rembember exactly :) anyway with such a cool job he has to be really imaginative and smart, which should make for some good books.

oh yes the unfinished tales, that reminds me, i have to order a copy of tolkien's other works, been meaning to do so for quite some time.

Book update from me:

Finished Michael Crichton's Prey last night. Not bad at all, but Sphere, Eaters of the Dead, and Timeline are still his best.

Will now continue along the Path of the Beam with Roland and his merry band of Gunslingers in The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla starting tonight.

Sphere ruled, I haven't read those other Crichton boosk though. Haven't read his stuff for many years actually, the Lost World has been awaiting me for awhile though.

I never read Jurassic Park or The Lost World. I think the movies ruined those stories for me. Luckily, I read Sphere before I saw the horrible crapfest that the movie was. Eaters of the Dead and The 13th Warrior are both excellent, and you gotta love the tie-in to Beowulf. Timeline, the book, was great, but I heard the movie was nothing more than a vehicle for pretty faces.

I read Jurassic Park just before the movie came out. The book was outstanding, the movie was fucking terrible. Didn't go into half the story and changed all the important crap.

I think I have Eaters of the Dead somewhere, should read that someday.

My favourite books are definitely Terry Pratchett´s Discworld novels, with Death, his granddaughter and the three witches being my favourite characters!:worship:

I also liked Alan Dean Foster´s Spellsinger cycle very much and enjoyed his trilogy Carnivores of Light and Darkness/Into the Thinking Kingdoms/A Triumph of Souls.

My favourite book of those we read at school was without doubt "Le Petit Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. (We read the original French version in our French lesson - that was way back in 1985, but I still think it´s one of the best books I´ve read so far:) .)