Books

Hahahaha that rules. I learned my lesson long ago to keep my speakers turned off, it was that thing that opened 2380284y5912485 windows and yelled YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!! until the computer crashed.

Having a little difficulty getting into Steppenwolf, but it's more my frame of mind than the book, as it is very good. Anyhow, this quote just made me laugh quite heartily:

"...it is nobler and finer to be conquered by life than to fall by one's own hand."

That is AWESOME!

just finished reading rushdie's satanic verses (after some RC recomendation actually). i was pretty sceptical at first but it turned out to be a really good read, thanks for the tip :D

NAD i rembemer reading somewhere here on RC that you haven't read the hitchhiker's guide t.t.g. yet right? if so, you really should, i re-read some of it while waiting for my latest book haul and remembered just how witty and generalley great it it :)

NAD said:
Having a little difficulty getting into Steppenwolf, but it's more my frame of mind than the book, as it is very good. Anyhow, this quote just made me laugh quite heartily:

"...it is nobler and finer to be conquered by life than to fall by one's own hand."

That is AWESOME!
The two lessons the protagonist learns about life at the end of the book will make you stagger with gay glee.

@spaffe: Glad you liked the Satanic Verses omgomgomg what an awesome book. You're right, I haven't read Hitchhiker's guide yet (I think we talked about that in the movie thread?) I'll look for it next time I go to my favorite used bookstore because I'm a broke ass right now. :erk:

@BWD: I shall prepare my purple loincloth in giddy anticipation.

am about halfway through Neither Wolf nor Dog: Travelling forgotten roads with an indian elder.

interesting book but the author is kind of too much of a grovelling wuss, passages like this (paraphrasing)
"I sat in the back seat of the car as Grover and Dan began a Lakota chant from the front. Their voices wafted back to a timeless place where their people were free and all Indians lived as one with the Earth, frolicing through fields of swaying grasses. Tears welled up in my eyes as I realized how pathetic it is to be of northern european descent..."

I like reading the points of view of the old indian guy, it's the white guy recording him who irritates me. the old guy called him a coward :)

I also started reading Generation Kill about one of the Marine recon units which spearheaded the Iraqi invasion.

and some liner notes to the Love box set. awesome to read that after the original band fragmented, the lead guitarist and bassist embarked on a Los Angeles crime spree knocking over donut shops.

lizard said:
I like reading the points of view of the old indian guy, it's the white guy recording him who irritates me. the old guy called him a coward :)
I like that.

I was so proud of myself because when I arranged my CDs this weekend I discovered that there's only a small handful that I haven't heard, but now I'm realizing I have a shitload of unread books still. DAMMIT! Damn you Final Fantasy X for taking up all my spare time! You too, Internet! FOCK JOOS!!!!!!1111111

Jeez. I bought that book for Momz, but it was only $25 and anyone can forge Slick Willy on the first page. :loco:

Heyhey, I saw you guys chatting about The Chronicles of Narnia in this thread. (Managed to read it all the way through now, Mr.A)
I wanna know something. Is it true that the stories are "christian"? I mean, that Aslan is in the role of Jesus/Lord and stuff. I heard that once from somewhere and even though it didn´t make me love those stories any less, I´d still like it to be false information. So help please.

Last book I read was Paul Reiser´s Couplehood. VERY funny in some parts :)

*gasp* She contributes to the Sacred Book Thread!!! :D

C.S. Lewis wrote many Christian books, but I'm not sure if Narnia has a direct link to Christianity. It's been so long since I read them that I don't recall much, and when I did read them I wasn't exactly looking for the deeper meaing (I think I was 9 when I finished the series).

Mhmm. I have never seeked any deeper meaning from them either, not even after hearing that claim. I´ve read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrope so many times that I know it by heart and have seen the 3 TV-series a dozen times also... I dunno. If it is that Aslan is God, there certainly doesn´t seem to be any other links to christianity. Not straightly connected to any bible stories anyway.