books

My problem with King is that he takes every novel he writes and adds about 200 pages too many. The story could be told much more concisely and he doesn't really add much to be 100% honest. And Cujo was the worst book ever.

wicked34 said:
what do you think of those book so far? im about to start the third one. i think they are very good. not too many books can keep my interest like those. they are very weird, but i guess thats why i like them.

I love Stephen King, and I find his Dark Tower series to easily be his best work. Right now, I am working on the seventh and last book of the series. These books have held my interest throughtout all of them. It's sad that it finally has to come to an end though, as I have always found myself eagerly awaiting the next installment to see what King had in store for Roland and his gang.

Seeing dorian gray post on another thread reminded me that I liked the book. I found the plot to be good, but it got a bit preachy at times, and that Wilde went out of his way to put stuff in the book that would push people's buttons, which was annoying.

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
has anyone read the DaVinci code and would like to tell me if its worth reading it?
i borrowed it from a friend, and then had to buy my own copy because its a book i will read over and over again.

i prefer to read psychological thrillers... favourite authors include jonathan kellerman, faye kellerman, james patterson, iris johansen, patricia cornwell, ellis peters, elizabeth george, tom clancy... the list goes on....

I've read heaps of Kellerman, both Jonathan and Faye.

My favourite King book I'd have to say has always been The Talisman.. which is why I was interested in getting into The Dark Tower series. The fact that its taken him about 30 years to write the Dark Tower is awesome though.

I've heard some negative things about DaVinci Code, like my mom really disliked it, and others have said the ending really sucks....probably shouldn't say that heh..

I'm currently being forced to read popular fiction for my popular fiction class (go figure) and the first unit is on women's fiction and romance o_O My teacher writes for Harlequin (or however you spell that) so it shall be an interesting semester...

I usually read non fiction and autobiographies. Just finished a book called Hell's Gate about an Irish convict sent to Tasmania in the 1800's who along with a group of other convicts escape into the bush and end up resorting to cannibalism.

Other books i have been reading recently are Peter Rabbit/Benjamin Bunny series, The Mr Men series (with the boy) and a book on Japanese joinery techniques.

Resurrecting a thread because I just had to share:

I just read "America: The Book" by the Daily Show people. Great stuff, everyone go read it nownownownownow.

Lovecraft owns. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is easily the best piece of horror literature I've ever read. I've got all 3 of ST Joshi's definitive text editions, right now I'm on the 3rd one "The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Tales." I'm almost done, and once I've finished it I'll have read 51 of his works o_O. Besides "Ward" some of my other favorites have been:

The Music of Eric Zhann
The Thing on the Doorstep
At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Call of Cthulhu
The Shadow Over Innsmouth

I've yet to read The Shadow out of Time and The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.

dargormudshark said:
Yeah After I am done with my little reading list I have going now I am going to read some Lovecraft. The books I am reading inspire my lyrics, but I am afraid if I read to much Lovecraft my lyrics will sound like Dimmu Borgir :D

I don't think they'll sound like Dimmu Borgir but they might sound like Rage (who have a shitload of songs based on Lovecraft, actually its because of their lyrics that I started reading Lovecraft).

Yngvai X said:
I don't think they'll sound like Dimmu Borgir but they might sound like Rage (who have a shitload of songs based on Lovecraft, actually its because of their lyrics that I started reading Lovecraft).

I think that is how alot of metalheads like us got started reading books. :Spin:

Symphony X got me reading Paradise Lost

I love Ayn Rand's books.

Another of my favorites is Umberto Eco (his novel "Foucault's Pendulum" was basically the original "Da Vinci Code").

I like Kafka and Melville and Nathaniel Hawthorne. For some reason, I enjoy classics.

Lately, I've been reading a lot of that boring democracy/capitalism stuff that everybody thinks is dorky, by people like Mill, Von Mises, Hayek, Locke, De Toqueville, etc.

Recently finished the fantastic Memoirs of Edward Teller, too. Great book to read if you're at all interested in WWII or the Cold War.

(See? I'm a nerd...)

Atlas is way better than Fountainhead. I read Atlas Shrugged first. It made The Fountainhead seem a lot easier. If you want to start off easy then go with The Fountainhead. If you want to take a head-first dive into her writing, then go with Atlas.

Beelzebub said:
Atlas is way better than Fountainhead. I read Atlas Shrugged first. It made The Fountainhead seem a lot easier. If you want to start off easy then go with The Fountainhead. If you want to take a head-first dive into her writing, then go with Atlas.

The only reason I wanted to read The Fountainhead first because Atlas is the sequal.

No it's not, they're two totally different books. They just deal with the same philosophy. Atlas is more in-depth. To get a good foundation you could read Fountainhead first, but it's really up to you.

I really have to recommend Kurt Vonnegut and Salman Rushdie!!
Two of the most amazing authors of all time - funny, emotive, erudite, witty and thought provoking

Check out:
Salman Rushdie - Grimus, Fury, The Satanic Verses, The Ground Beneath Her Feet and The Moor's Last Sigh

Kurt Vonnegut - Cat's Cradle, Breakfast Of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five, Timequake, Slapstick(or lonesome no more) etc.

Read them all!!

Also check out Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange, Any Old Iron, The Pianoplayers

The magazines I read:
Popular Science
National Geographic
Electronic Gaming Monthly

My favorite books:
The Illiad :worship:
The Odyssey :worship:
The Aeneid :worship:
Lord Of the Rings :worship:

I just started the first book in the History of Middle Earth; THe Book of Lost Tales.

I am a huge fan of ancient Greek and Roman mythology and history.

I just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I have to admit, no matter how many times I have read Dante's Inferno, I still do not understand it completley!

The problem with Dante's Inferno is that through the whole book he's making references and alusions to people none of us know about from ancient Italy, and it is also translated from ancient Italian so some stuff may be lost in translation.