books

v01c354nd51gn5

Awakenings
Dec 18, 2003
DE:-\
besides symphony x liner notes what else do you guys read? me, im not that much of a reader. i'd rather be writing/playing music. but im gonna get more into reading. i got off to a slow start this summer ... only read the prologue of The Da Vinci Code, but that counts as something. Has anyone read that book? i wanna know if its worth reading it. i hear a lotta good things about it. any other worthy books out there?

I'm going to admit it. I'm a geek. I'm an avid reader. I enjoy different genres of literature, but my favorite types of books are the ones that make me think. Since starting school, it sucks not having as much time as I'd like to read, but it's ok. I just started The Three Musketeers. A brief list of books and plays I like:

Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Animal Farm, 1984 - George Orwell
La Casa de Bernarda Alba (the house of...) - Lorca
Wise Blood - Flannery O'Connor
Mist - Miguel de Unamuno (it's better when you read it in Spanish)
Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
Our Town - Thornton Wilder
Stuff by Shakespeare (don't make fun, his works are good)
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
etc.

I also like reading short stories, often moreso than novels since, well... they're shorter. Among my favorite short story authors are:

Franz Kafka
Anton Chekhov
Flannery O'Connor
Shirley Jackson
James Joyce
etc.

And I think I'll shut up now

My favorite would have to be 1984 - Orwell's the man. Dante's Divine Comedy comes in at a close second. Animal Farm also rocked.

I've read a lot of the classic stuff thanks to one kickass English teacher for 3 years. Scarlet Letter and all that kinda stuff.

Has anyone ever read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis? AWESOME book, totally made me think of metal because it's about hell and such, and it also kinda makes you look at yourself and why you do what you do.

Beelzebub said:
Stuff by Shakespeare (don't make fun, his works are good)
I forgot Shakespeare. Last year I finally read some Shakespeare, and his command over language blew my mind. Awesome stuff.

I mostly read military history books, mainly about the Zulu war and Rev war.

Oh, and anything to do with Ufo's.

I highly recomend 'the genesis race" by Will Hart

It charts are origin of our species, and will make you take a step back, and think, Holy Christ!!!!....do we really know how we came too be????

And no one has put down the most influential book in all of fiction

Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein"

Couple other classics are

"1984" by Orwell
"Fahrenheit 451" by Bradbury

Short Stories
Kafka's "The Metamorphosis"
E.M. Forster's "The Machine Stops"

Of course there is poetry

John Keats
John Milton's "Paradise Lost"

Tons of other books as well.

If you haven't read Frankenstein...why haven't you?

LT said:
Right now I'm on the second book of Stephen Kings, "The Dark Tower"

what do you think of those book so far? im about to start the third one. i think they are very good. not too many books can keep my interest like those. they are very weird, but i guess thats why i like them. The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King is also very good as well.

No, Fahrenheit is quite a different book from 1984. Yes there are similarities, but the concept is different. Maybe you missed a couple of the key themes in the novella.

No, it was just an overall heap of suckage.

Bradbury was all upset when Fahrenheit 9/11 came out because he said the movie title stole the idea from his book. Orwell should've been pissed off because Fahrenheit 451 was a rip off of 1984.

I hate that book To Kill a Mockingbird, too.

I loved Farenheit! Same basic concept as 1984... which is why it kicks ass.

I liked To Kill a Mockingbird, but it was a little over-the-top and in your face. A bit of subtlety would've went a long way with that book.

No no no.

Similarities between the Fahrenheit and 1984:
Character Awakens (like in so many other novels)
Censorship of Media

Differences:
Government imposed censorship of media in 1984
The people in Bradbury's world CHOSE to live like that - they censored themselves by abridging (sp?) literary work and not wanting to offend anyone anymore - eventually the government just enacted on the general consensus of the people.
1984 gives a negative prospect towards the future - the government defeats Winston
Fahrenheit proposes hope with all the "book people"

I agree that To Kill A Mockingbird stinks.

So there. :D

I don't read as much as I should, since its essential for writing, so maybe that's why I suck at writing. Anyway, when I do read, I seem to lean towards mysteries, short stories, or just whatever the hell looks good to me. I don't often choose by author, I choose by story. Except for the Cat Who..mysteries (yes, I'm a cat nerd). Also the book A Short History of a Small Place by T.R. Pearson is freakin hilarious.

Oh and stop bashing To Kill a Mockingbird. Granted, I didn't much like the subject matter, but as a piece of literature, it has a lot of meaning and truly is a classic.