The Damnation Game

Beelzebub

Mar 22, 2003
New York City
As in the 1983 book by Clive Barker. It's been mentioned a few times before on this forum, and a couple of people I know gave it rave reviews but they're also huge fans of black metal and grind so I took their opinions with a grain of salt. :tickled:

Irrelevant and lame jokes aside, it's actually a pretty good book. I've never been into the genre of horror, but it was an easy read (it took me 3 days) and I was familiar with Barker's writing style since I read two of his books in the past. I've been re-reading the lyrics to the song, looking at the album cover, and trying to associate them with the story but I can't really think of anything good that doesn't seem far-fetched. It's about a man on parole who gets a job as a bodyguard for a wealthy man who is expecting to be killed by the person who is responsible for giving him his riches. More eloquent summaries plus the first two pages of the book can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3373901-0103228?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

In the introduction, Barker says that it's his own version of Faust. He also says he likes the version by Christopher Marlowe better than Goethe's. Perhaps the lyrics to Damnation Game relate better to either of those stories than the book I just read. Has anyone read either? If not, I'll read both and report back to you guys later :).