How do you rank The Damnation Game in their catalog?

To me,it comes just after DWOT, I remember having it on tape listening in my
car for the first time songs like "Dressed to kill" (they played it at twilight tour),
Whispers, but among them "In a winter's dream" shocked my more. Wonderful album,then comes V, Twilight,Odissey,Paradise lost.
I know is not a Sx matter,but Gary Moore passed away.To me it was and still remains the best guitar player in the world.RIP Gary

I'm with the majority here, my order is:

1. The Odyssey
2. V
3. Twilight in Olympus
4. Paradise Lost
5. Divine Wings of Tragedy
6. Damnation Game
7. Symphony X (I've never listened to this album in full because, without Russell, I'm not interested)

My list
1. Divine Wings of Tragedy
2. The Odyssey
3. Damnation Game
4. V
5. Twilight in Olympus
6. Paradise Lost
7. Symphony X

It's a decent album with some gems. I don't know a more mystical SX song than A Winter's Dream I; it's perfect to listen to while walking in the night.
Part II is great as well. The other gem is The Edge of Forever. It has so many good parts; the acoustic intro, the bass line from 0:45 - 1:22, followed by the beautiful piano and "pictures of what used to be..", again followed by a lovely polyrhtymic phase, with Pinnella playing the piano line in 6/8 over the 5/4 of the guitar,drums and bass. The mellow verse, starting at 3:44, evolving into the "love is flowing thorugh my fingertips" part about a minute later. A true classic, and the best song of the album.

The other songs are all listenable, and I like how the whole album has this dark, mellow feel to it.
The least good song would have to be Savage Curtain.

My album ratings:

1: V
2: The Odyssey
3: The Divine Wings of Tragedy
4: Twilight in Olympus
5: Damnation Game
6: Paradise Lost
7: Self-titled

Pretty close to the bottom. Except for "The Edge Of Forever" and "Savage Curtain" (a guilty pleasure for me due to the cool pre-chorus bass riff), I hardly ever listen to anything off of it. There's too much shallow, balladesque stuff on there and Russell isn't as confident as he is on later albums. I kind of prefer the debut album to TDG, don't really know why.

As for the other albums, I'd rank them something like this...
1. The Odyssey
2. Paradise Lost
3. TDWOT
4. Twilight In Olympus
5. V
6. s/t
7. TDG

As a rule, I'm more into the metal Symphony X than the neoclassical ones.

The Damnation Game is a very good CD on it's own but next to their other CDs it pales in comparison. Michael Romeo hadn't found the killer tone that is displayed in all future releases. Russell Allen seems like he is holding back on many tracks. He doesn't sound confident and commanding like he does now. Maybe because he was new to the band. I think that he has the best voice of anyone alive. I know I'll catch hell for that from some of you. The songs that I really like are Dressed To Kill, The Edge Of Forever, and A Winters Dream Pt. 1 & 2.

My Symphony X CD rankings:

1. V
2. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
3. The Odyssey
4. Twilight In Olympus
5. Live
6. Paradise Lost
7. The Damnation Game
8. Symphony X

The Damnation Game is a very good CD on it's own but next to their other CDs it pales in comparison. Michael Romeo hadn't found the killer tone that is displayed in all future releases. Russell Allen seems like he is holding back on many tracks. He doesn't sound confident and commanding like he does now. Maybe because he was new to the band. I think that he has the best voice of anyone alive. I know I'll catch hell for that from some of you. The songs that I really like are Dressed To Kill, The Edge Of Forever, and A Winters Dream Pt. 1 & 2.

My Symphony X CD rankings:

1. V
2. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
3. The Odyssey
4. Twilight In Olympus
5. Live
6. Paradise Lost
7. The Damnation Game
8. Symphony X

Fair enough, you're probably right :). But, you know... that nostalgia!