Which SX songs do you actually consider classical/neo-classical?

The misnomer Neoclassical is applied to rock and "prog" music that utilizes modes and arpeggios. Hardly classical, and nothing new. Not neoclassical in but a name misapplied by the masses who hope that it lends justification for their view that this kind of music is somehow more academic and more lasting.

I at least hope your key words here are not the two "more"s cause otherwise I have never heard such "misnomer"

Im sorry but I honestly believe if the classics heard some of this stuff many of these SMALL bands are doing today... providing they adjusted to distortion and wailing drums... they would be quite impressed... and I can see thier powered big hair bouncing up and down to the rhythm and I could easily see them enjoying the timing change ups, and "getting it" much more than the conventional metal head.

Reading this totally made my day, thanks!

OK sounds like your talking about contempary classical. What ever it sounds like you feel classical is the only intelligent, "complex history", artistic worthy music. I disregard classical music solely for that reason, the pompus BS that comes with it.. but wait isnt that the same reason you live to hate progressive metal ?

Man what the heck is wrong with you, I don't think no music other than classical is good or has artistic merit. Why do you think I am on an SX board, because I love the band and think they make some great music, and I already said I like prog metal, just not when it gets too wanky like most of the modern bands do in my opinion. I'm just saying the truth is that classical music has a richer history and is more complex than rock music on the whole because it traces its roots back to the middle ages and has gone through countless developments. Does that make prog rock useless or in any sense objectively "worse?" No, absolutely not! But if it's getting to the point where you confuse terms so badly that lifting a few themes or running up some arpeggios on the guitar is considered "neo-classical," well that's just past the line for me. You have to respect musical tradition - imagine if someone in complete seriousness called SX nu metal and multiply the anger you would feel from that by 10.

And likewise you can't just say that all classical music is pretentious or for the elite, since it comes in various shapes and sizes just like prog or rock in general does.

Oh, sorry it must have been someone else always posting all the negative energy toward progressive metal, your right there is something wrong with me, I hate critics.

Your gonna have to deal with the term neo-classical metal on you own, its out there, has been since ??? 84 aprox. that would be 26 years now. Tuff break I realize.

Wish you would answer the question as to how you thought such a sound should have been catagorized 26 years ago, while you admitted you wouldnt not know it if you heard it.

Progressive "rock" has gone through countless individuals too and eventually turned into progressive metal with astounding musicians raising the bar quite high. So much so it seems it can not go too much further. Im just saying that as it seems some redundancy has developed as with all music. The early years of the better bands were great being fresh and all, while less intense bands improved.

I hope you were not directly addressing me when speaking "you confuse terms so badly" as if I were the one that named neo-classical metal. I have no confusion on the subject.

wanky I am confused about, wanky and music in my head chimes of say "The Carpenters" apparently now a term used against improv, and self expression. Grunge used little of this improv and instrumental tangent stuff, might be something to look into. Myself I always like long jams which usually are far less interesting than what I hear from current more skilled bands.

You now do know about "running up arpeggios" ? and that doing so is the extent of it ? beside the "lifting of themes" that is ? I think many of them do much more than just those qualities, one of which might be draw from respect for musical tradition

Whatever all of the above has nothing to do with my opinion that some progressive metal musicians are doing todays equivilent of what "classical" did back in its day, which besides painting through music has been raise the bar, push the limits.

Those currently stuck to the standards of classical are probably doing the same as say SRV did with the blues which I totally approved of. SRV possibly one of the best blues wankers of all time, but now I have a young Jimmy Page wankin out to some blues in the background... so its a toss, but sounds reall good just the same.

Wow, song on deep tracks right now by Quicksilver Messenger Service and a violinist did a little musical piece of "wankery" that sounded just like something classical ! Awesome ! Never paid much attention to those guys.

Okay, you guys are getting way too ANALytical about the wording of the title of this thread. I asked a simple question in which you all should get what I meant by it instead of having a debate on what this and that term technically means.

I did answer that. All of them are closely based on many principles of classical music... as well as metal its from the 1990's and 2000's... after all. Further they even use topics and presentation influenced by classic literature, again in the manor of the 1990's and 2000's.

I see no challenge here.

The inherent difficulty here is that it is akin to asking "Which pop songs are prog?" or "Which drum&bass songs are country?"

There is nothing musically classical about Symphony X.

The inherent difficulty here is that it is akin to asking "Which pop songs are prog?" or "Which drum&bass songs are country?"

There is nothing musically classical about Symphony X.

Sort of right sort of wrong. The correct thing to say would be:

They have classical TENDANCIES! They are not classical they just have classical tendencies and are inspired by classical artists. :headbang:

no one said they played classical music, if they did they wouldnt be a metal band, wouldnt be on this huge forum and would be less popular than they are today.

I can think of popular songs that have progressive leanings, Stairway to Heaven for starters, some Tull, Rush, then many Pink Floyd songs and Kansas had a few hits with progressive songs.

Classical had some country rootes, just not bass and drums, they had triangles and oboes

no one said they played classical music, if they did they wouldnt be a metal band, wouldnt be on this huge forum and would be less popular than they are today.

I can think of popular songs that have progressive leanings, Stairway to Heaven for starters, some Tull, Rush, then many Pink Floyd songs and Kansas had a few hits with progressive songs.

Classical had some country rootes, just not bass and drums, they had triangles and oboes

100 % agreed. :headbang: