What do these songs talk about?

While SX may kick DT's ass, the Dream Theater website has a nice thing that gives translations and meanings to all the stuff

I'd rather figure out the meanings myself - it's more fun that way.

And about In the Dragon's Den - that seems like a decent analysis. But it seems like it's a lot more general than that - it just seems to capture the atmosphere of people in hiding from something, trying to carry on what they believe.

Actually, that's what I liked about most of the lyrics on Twilight - they were very general concept-wise, and concentrated mostly on imagery.

As for Incantations and Awakenings - read the liner notes for the CD.

I like how Rose Immortal gives a fresh insight into SyX's lyrics. It would sort of be nice if Romeo explained the meanings, but in agreeance with ofsinsandshred, its fun to put your own perceptions on them.

Eh? Isn't In The Dragon's Den about being in a dragon's den?

I can't stand symbolism ever since the English class where we had to destroy poetry by searching for the "hidden meaning" behind every word, and every line, and the meter, and the shape of the poem, and the exact date it was written on divided by 12 and square rooted.

Literal meaning > Symbolic meaning

Most of the time.

kazahana said:
I can't stand symbolism ever since the English class where we had to destroy poetry by searching for the "hidden meaning" behind every word, and every line, and the meter, and the shape of the poem, and the exact date it was written on divided by 12 and square rooted.

Literal meaning > Symbolic meaning

Most of the time.

I don't care for the kind of analysis that some people do that goes so far it just about makes a work out to be saying the opposite of what it is (unless it's sarcastic, in which case that makes sense). Often that kind of analysis has an agenda of some sort.

It's probably for the better that nobody in the band explains every little piece of every little song. Pink Floyd's Roger Waters managed to ruin a lot of stuff by doing that to the lyrics he wrote, in my opinion. They were great works, but I think he tried to take a lot of the latitude for free interpretation out, by explaining every little nitpicking detail in interviews. A work should have a personal meaning, a personal significance to the listener, and not JUST be what the artist says it is. Otherwise it becomes irrelevant.

That's why I like the way Symphony X approaches things. I can say what I think something means--but somebody can debate me and their interpretation may be just as viable, or better. And I like that. It makes for better conversation. There's no "primary source" that everyone's interpretations has to conform with. I've seen what happens in that case, and it's not pretty to look at--you start getting people who think they're the guardians of the one truth, and that's WAY too far when you're talking about a group of human beings who write music. I dunno if that makes any sense...

Rose Immortal said:
<snip>
That's why I like the way Symphony X approaches things. I can say what I think something means--but somebody can debate me and their interpretation may be just as viable, or better. And I like that. It makes for better conversation. There's no "primary source" that everyone's interpretations has to conform with. I've seen what happens in that case, and it's not pretty to look at--you start getting people who think they're the guardians of the one truth, and that's WAY too far when you're talking about a group of human beings who write music. I dunno if that makes any sense...
:guh:

Just kidding. You made sense. I prefer to derive my own meanings, as well. Though, I've stopped analyzing things so much anymore. If I agree with someone else's view on it, great; if not, great. I think I've just gotten to that stage in life where I've made concrete what I believe to be true, and it really doesn't matter what other people think. That sounds kind of arrogant, but it isn't intended.

I feel a bit pretentious when I analyze what another wrote. I have no insight to her mind, and I would only be kidding myself to think I do. I think it's a case of "the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know anything." Still, it is fun to have my private illusions. :)

The Turning seems to be about some sort of lycanthropic or vampiric (are they even words - I mean like werewolves and vampires) curse:

"Beneath an eerie moon a change comes over me"
"As midnight's curse descends on trembling hands"

suggest a werewolf transformation at midnight or however that all works.

"a face divided in the mirror, my psyche ripped by daggers of my alchemy"
"side by side with myself again"

suggest a sort of Jekyll & Hyde, split personality change.

Savage Curtain is about a vicious drapery that attacks without warning.

The Turning - Jekyll and Hyde was always what came to my mind. "Daggers of my alchemy" really supports it. The whole duality thing, instrumentally and vocally is really cool. And "vile creation" also makes me think of Jekyll and Hyde because it was about the evil things man was capable of creating (or unleashing).

I don't think I'll have any time today for these...but I'll try to get back as soon as I can. :) This is fun!

What is the Odyssey about? I've always wondered that....

I was an Odyssey once

I think we all learned a lot from that

You won't be trying that again
I'm suprised you remember, that happened... oh, well before you were born."

TotenMitMacht said:
What is the Odyssey about? I've always wondered that....

I was an Odyssey once

I think we all learned a lot from that

You won't be trying that again
I'm suprised you remember, that happened... oh, well before you were born."

first of all, HUH?!?!?!?

second of all, are you serious?

I have to wonder if somebody in Symphony X was having a Star Trek moment during the Damnation Game sessions. We have "Savage Curtain" and another song called "The Edge of Forever"..."The City on the Edge of Forever" is one of the most famous original Trek episodes, and "The Savage Curtain" is also an episode...

But anyway...on to the songs. ;) I agree with what people are saying about "The Turning", but here's my take on "Savage Curtain"...

This sounds like somebody aware that he's progressively going mad, with a particularly violent bent to his madness. It could be demons, though, and I can't help but think of Judas Iscariot, considering the need he's expressing to commit some kind of serious crime. Not to mention there seems to be a bit of remorse left in him...remorse and despair drove Judas to hang himself. While it may not be at all about Judas, that's at least the kind of person it seems to be talking about.

(Incidentally, the Star Trek episode "The Savage Curtain" dealt with a staged confrontation between various good and evil personae from the past. It asked questions about the nature of good and evil and which is destined to triumph.)