What the hell are these songs about?

I agree that the Turning has to be a Jeckyll & Hyde.... especially when he says the stuff about alchemy.

Divine Wings of Tragedy is about Mars: The Bringer of War... it also has some Dante thrown in ("Like the river Styx, the gates of Hell- abandon hope all ye who enter here...")

Oh man, that must have been hilarious when he was singing Champion of Ithaca... hahahaha.

Symphony X said:
A Fool's paradise -- it's all about social critcs.

"Empire of the sea, lords of technollogy..." - I guess it's about the European first navigations, mainly cause of this part:
"tragedy on every shore" - 'cause some European counties explored a lot of people, ariving to the continents by boat, killing them and their culture

I've always thought that the "Empire" was just some generic nation among but above other nations. Now that I think of it, the verses "Empire of the Sea, Lords of technology bring death unto the earth" describe accurately what's going on in the Middle East. (Of course they ARE pretty vague lyrics and could fit well into a thousand other situations. I could just as well quote the Revelations here. ;)) Your point on colonial nations is a good one. At least I didn't think of it. :)

A Fool's Paradise is a very critical song aimed at a society that has wandered too far from its roots. It describes well the common despair of seeing the world go to hell in a handbasket and being unable to do anything about it. "Death by design, altering birth" and so many other modern inventions have lead the western world to a point where most of the people work in industries involved in abstract things rather than something concrete. As man looks at his past now, he no more sees open fields growing food for the family or sturdy examples of fine carpentry but a whirling flurry of digits instead. While controlled accumulation of information may be good, the present-day information overload leaves most of us without good answers to the deeper questions of existence.

Altough man has "seen" to the far reaches of space and the innermost parts of the formerly undividable particles, he still doesn't know the meaning of life. There is only the old saying: "A penguin's goal in life is to be a good penguin".

(Sorry if my writing seems a bit clunky. It's been a while since I last wrote anything in english. ;))