1.The Divine Wings Of Tragedy :hotjump:
2.Of Sins And Shadows
3.A Winter's Dream (parts 1 and 2)
4.The Damnation Game
5.Smoke And Mirrors
6.The Haunting
7.Sea Of Lies

:wave: :headbang:

1.Divine Wings is about the fall of Satan I think.
2.Of Sins and Shadows is about how to kick fiftey people's asses at the same time.
3. ?
4. Ehh.... How to sound cool when you say "damn"
5. ?
6. This dudes friend is dead and he's going insane. (Has he lost his mind?)
7. ?

Basically, I only know what Divine Wings is about. These lyrics are so abstract that it's hard to say.

I know there's a book called "The Damnation Game," but I don't know if it's what the song is about. I had no idea the book existed until I saw in an interview taht Yngwie's "Razor Eater" is based on it.

Vucko said:
Please,can you tell me what these songs talk about: :worship:
1.The Divine Wings Of Tragedy :hotjump:
2.Of Sins And Shadows
3.A Winter's Dream (parts 1 and 2)
4.The Damnation Game
5.Smoke And Mirrors
6.The Haunting
7.Sea Of Lies

:wave: :headbang:

My guesses...

1. MI mentioned the fall of Satan and Luis mentioned the Archangel Gabriel. I think both might be right about it. This seems to detail the war between Heaven and Hell all the way from the fall of Satan to the final apocalypse and new creation. Some of the language reminds me of the way that some people interpret Revelation.

2. This seems like it's about people being lured by demons into sin, and starting to realize what's happening to them. It may be their last chance to break free--or the moment when they figure out they're past the point of no return (I suspect the latter).

3. At risk of sounding totally crazy, it seems like a person who's having either a highly spiritual dream or an actual out-of-body experience, guided either by an angel or the spirit of someone they knew. It may be to try and heal some kind of pain they're in, or it may even be some kind of near-death experience.

4. Sounds to me like it's about people getting in trouble for messing with evil practices (the occult? sorcery? or just everyday sinfulness? not sure). Although I also like what MI said about this one. ;)

5. This is the one I have the hardest time figuring out. It seems like somebody who feels like his life is an illusion, not quite the same way as in "Sea of Lies", but somebody who seems to feel like life is pointless because, like Luis suggests, reality itself may not be what it seems. But I'm not too sure about this one.

6. I agree that somebody's friend has died, in this one, and has never moved on. What I can't tell is who's narrating: the living friend or the dead one. I could argue it either way--that the living friend keeps coming close to the brink of suicide and deciding against it, or that the dead friend can't move on to the afterlife and feels himself pulled back to this world.

7. I think this is about somebody who has been living a life of hypocrisy, pretending to be somebody or something he's not, and now it's eating at him--he seems to have woven the lies so tight around him that it's almost impossible for him to break free of them now.

I know the book The Damnation Game is by Clive Barker, and I've seen it every now and then in bookstores. I've wanted to read it but whenever I'm ready to buy it it's never in stock. I read the back to see what it's about and I can't really make any connections with it and the album, so I'd have to read the whole thing. Once I find it, that is.

One time there was a thread about the meaning of Smoke and Mirrors where someone said they thought it was about the fact that there are forces acting in our world that we cannot perceive or comprehend, and we have to learn to accept that. That's part of their interpretation, and part of it is what I could get after listening with that in mind. *shrug* Makes sense to me.

One additional insight I'd like to add...I watched part of the interview on the special edition of The Damnation Game, and they were discussing the powerful symbolism of the masks. I can see this even when costumes and masks are not directly mentioned--it runs through Symphony X's writing in a lot of ways. Insides and outsides do not always match, and where they do not match, there's always discord, there is the disconnect between the seen and the unseen, and you see it again and again and again, all the way from "Smoke and Mirrors" to "Masquerade" to "Sea of Lies". Not all of their songs are going to be about that, of course, but given this powerful symbol they have, and clear theme that interests them, that's always something to check for.

Even in V you have artwork where the person facing the mirror and their image are differing, and all the implications that come with that notion of a twisted reflection. There are so many different perspectives you can have just on that one piece of artwork. My avatar comes from that--what was interesting was, I had not seen anybody else's avatar when I chose it, and somebody accused me of stealing their avatar. They had the figure in black, though. The interesting thing was, I couldn't understand how putting the white-robed lady was the same. To me these two are almost completely distinct in emotion, outfit, and even (to me, from what features are emphasized by their face paint) gender. But I can see now how this other person's perspective made some sense, too, even if I didn't perceive it that way in my own mind (and no, I'm not changing my avatar ;) ). There's so much about perception and image and so on in Symphony X's work that it's fascinating! :)

Thanks, although I am sure it's not the answer to everything SymX. ;)

I'll have a look at "Dressed to Kill" later, when I get a longer break.

cool!! lets anylize some more songs!!!

Incantations of the apprentice

awakenings

out of the ashes

church of the machine

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

<sarcasm> church of the machine is about a robot preacher called R2-D2 who starts his own church called Jehovas witnesses 3.1. for robots

Divine Wings is Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained, if you have read the book then read the lyrics you love the song twice as much.

I will look at dressed to kill...I have been listening to Cruelty & the Beast alot so I have been studying Bathory...she had some problems

-Incantations Of The Apprentice is story about an apprentice who travels to mysterious place in order to learn the ways of powerful necromancer.
-Awakenings is about someone who is uncertain about what the future holds,almost desperate to know
-Out Of The Ashes - ? :err:
-Church Of The Machine - sometimes I think it's about inquistion,but no...... :hotjump: :err:

OK, here we go! :D

Dressed to Kill: I'm almost wondering if this one has something to do with Greek tragedy, with the murder of Agamemnon by his wife Clytemenestra. Their son, Orestes, would ultimately end up murdering Clytemenestra, and maybe she realized this was possible and worried about it. I could be totally wrong about a connection, but that's just what came to mind.

Incantations of the Apprentice: This seems like a reference to The Master's Apprentice. You know...the symphony you all saw when you were little set to the images of Mickey Mouse and so on. Except this is a much, MUCH darker version of it where things do not work out so well in the end, and what the apprentice unleashes is completely uncontrollable and goes out to wreak havoc on a grand scale.

Awakenings: This one seems to me to be about an older man who has realized he's wasted his life, so at this late stage he's searching for direction and has a tough time even attending to the simple things in his life, because it seems empty and purposeless to him now.

Out of the Ashes: I might be way off base with this one, but this is a song I felt like I understood from the first time I ever read the lyrics. It seems to me almost like a young man who was beaten both verbally and physically by his father when he was growing up. In some ways he can feel the same evil in him (and maybe he's started to get out of control somewhat), perhaps because no one was there to show him a better way when he was young. But as a man he understands there was something wrong and he wants to learn more about what the right way is. He wants to put his life back together.

Church of the Machine: If I were to sum this up in two words--idol worship. Specifically, man worshipping things that he has created. This can range from worshipping material objects to worship of science, to man worshipping himself or even a distorted, self-serving image of what God really is. All of these different elements seem to show up here, and what ends up happening is a perversion on what religion is actually supposed to be. Several lines point to the "perversion" aspect ("twisted baptism of fire", as opposed to baptism by water, for instance). It's a dogma stripped of all of the virtue that's supposed to be its source. This doesn't seem to me like a condemnation of all religion--just human misuses and human creations passed off as religion. VERY fascinating one from a lyrical perspective.

Rose Immortal said:
OK, here we go! :D

Dressed to Kill: I'm almost wondering if this one has something to do with Greek tragedy, with the murder of Agamemnon by his wife Clytemenestra. Their son, Orestes, would ultimately end up murdering Clytemenestra, and maybe she realized this was possible and worried about it. I could be totally wrong about a connection, but that's just what came to mind.

Incantations of the Apprentice: This seems like a reference to The Master's Apprentice. You know...the symphony you all saw when you were little set to the images of Mickey Mouse and so on. Except this is a much, MUCH darker version of it where things do not work out so well in the end, and what the apprentice unleashes is completely uncontrollable and goes out to wreak havoc on a grand scale.

Awakenings: This one seems to me to be about an older man who has realized he's wasted his life, so at this late stage he's searching for direction and has a tough time even attending to the simple things in his life, because it seems empty and purposeless to him now.

Out of the Ashes: I might be way off base with this one, but this is a song I felt like I understood from the first time I ever read the lyrics. It seems to me almost like a young man who was beaten both verbally and physically by his father when he was growing up. In some ways he can feel the same evil in him (and maybe he's started to get out of control somewhat), perhaps because no one was there to show him a better way when he was young. But as a man he understands there was something wrong and he wants to learn more about what the right way is. He wants to put his life back together.

Church of the Machine: If I were to sum this up in two words--idol worship. Specifically, man worshipping things that he has created. This can range from worshipping material objects to worship of science, to man worshipping himself or even a distorted, self-serving image of what God really is. All of these different elements seem to show up here, and what ends up happening is a perversion on what religion is actually supposed to be. Several lines point to the "perversion" aspect ("twisted baptism of fire", as opposed to baptism by water, for instance). It's a dogma stripped of all of the virtue that's supposed to be its source. This doesn't seem to me like a condemnation of all religion--just human misuses and human creations passed off as religion. VERY fascinating one from a lyrical perspective.
F*ckin' Jeebus! :worship:

CoM... good explanation. You a philosophy major, by chance? :)

Rose, that is some good insight into those songs. I really like how you tied the masks into the meaning of their songs. I never thought of it that way (even though I also saw that interview from the cds) but as soon as I read it it made perfect sense.
BTW I never thought it looked like you stole that avatar idea.

Does anyone else think that "In the Dragon's Den" is about people in hiding during the holocaust? I was considering this, and it seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Ex.- "Through the nights and days, we will find a way
A way to carry on what we believe"- we won't submit to oppression, we'll carry on our ways.

"dragons calling throughout the night"- SS searches?

"The end never in sight, soaring through an endless plight"- they don't know how the war will end, they think the Nazis will triumph.

This may seem like bullshit, but I think it makes a lot of sense.
"It's actually pretty good"

Nope, I'm not a philosophy major, though it interests me.

Anyway, The Yngster and I had a little disagreement the first day I switched to this avatar. I'd just bought V that day and seen the album art for the first time and knew I wanted that pic for an avatar. Turned out he was using her evil twin for HIS avatar. ;)

But it seems that's been put behind us. :)