Which SX songs do you actually consider classical/neo-classical?

Chairman Kaga

Jan 23, 2007
Los Angeles
personally, I would say...

Masquerade
The Damnation Game
Of Sins and Shadows
Out of the Ashes
The Witching Hour
The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Smoke and Mirrors
Sonata
Church of the Machine
The Relic
Prelude
Seven

there are probably more that I forgot.

I can think of the last solo from Dressed to Kill which comes from some Bach piece, and A Fool's Paradise for the same reason.

this reminds me of why I couldn't get into SX right away...

A long time ago, I was looking for neo-classical bands... like bands where they have albums that are completely neo-classical (kind of like malmsteen).
Some dude suggested that I try out Symphony X. And as I saw the band name, I thought for sure that it'd be a very neo-classical band. I was soon very disappointed after listening to some songs (happened to be the non-neoclassical ones). Then I didn't try listening to them again for a loooong time until someone suggested that I listen to Out Of The Ashes. Then I slowly got into them since. I learnt to enjoy the progressive side of the band soon after that.

Actually, I think that's indeed pretty much every truly neoclassical styled Symphony X song there.

I think it's funny when I hear some people call Symphony X "neoclassical powermetal" although that's obviously only a part of their sound.

Smoke and Mirrors
of Sins and Shadows
Out of The Ashes
Church of The Machine
Damnation Game
Dressed To Kill
Seven
Wicked

I think its all pretty classical in its approach, even if it doesnt comply with the Yngwie based description of "neo" which seems based on use of the harmonic minor but all classical did not concentrate on the harmonic minor. Then Neo implys new revival of something old. But thats all technical BS so by the Yngwie standard theres plenty of hints here and there throughout but more of classical in general, less cloning and far superior compositions as a whole.

My opinion of course and I already got into the arguement about classical vrs new progressive metal bands being the new classical of our time along time ago... lol

Playing part of a theme from a piece on an electric guitar does not make the song classical

As for "neo classical" form what I have seen all that means is "guitar virtuoso" and has nothing to do with classical music either

Also, SX is not power metal

new progressive metal bands being the new classical of our time along time ago... lol

God, I hope not. I always hope there will be good music around in the future, and prog metal is garbage on the whole

Playing part of a theme from a piece on an electric guitar does not make the song classical

As for "neo classical" form what I have seen all that means is "guitar virtuoso" and has nothing to do with classical music either

Also, SX is not power metal

God, I hope not. I always hope there will be good music around in the future, and prog metal is garbage on the whole

not sure what, if anything, you actually said here, relevent to the truth that is

Yikes... this is a quite hard to tell kind of thing... Symphony X, Neo-classical, or prog/power. The answer? They are their own thing... i'll tell you what i think:

Neo-classical, power-prog, SYMPHONIC, melodic, epic, hard, metal!

Gotta say I agree with Postulate.

OK to agree with someones taste but not their straight from Mars "facts". For example alot of the music you like is total garbage to me that Im not interested in. But no one will ever convince me that progressive is not well thought, difficult and intellegent music applying the same theorys and beyond that which the "classics" did... try all one may want.

They werent even smart enough to develope a friggin drum kit but get a free pass for the timpony (which I dont even know how to spell). "Classical" rhythmic and groove qualities sucked and were kindergarten by todays standards, not to mention that they needed how many instruments to get the job done?

Mozart and Bach wouldnt even know what to think of jazz, something I have a hard time doing if its radical enough.

"by today's standards" that's the thing though, Steve.

Today's standards were set by those classical guys. All of Western music was. Most of "prog" doesn't set the bar any higher, it just follows the rules