books

Ooh, Lost Chronicles. Thanks for reminding me. I read those books way back when. Maybe I need to go back into all the new stuff since the original series.

Joel Rosenberg's Jon Bennett series is quite good, though not sci-fi. The Last Jihad, et al, deals with some very interesting terrorism scenarios.

I almost never quit a book once I've started it, but The Black Company by Glen Cook is having severe difficulties maintaining my interest. It's so two dimensional. Characters don't change at all, and there is nothing between the lines. Just a story written in plainer English than my taste favors.

I may end up dropping it and picking up Kraken. At least Mieville hasn't disappointed me yet!

Okay thanks, I'll go with American Gods. That seems to be his most respected novel. I'll get to it as soon as I finish The Scar.

So, Kraken is excellent so far. But, I caution readers to be at least familiar with London idiosyncrasies before reading it to fully understand the slang, geography, and cultural references.

So, Kraken is excellent so far. But, I caution readers to be at least familiar with London idiosyncrasies before reading it to fully understand the slang, geography, and cultural references.

Does he overuse the word "ostentatious" in it?

I can say without an inkling of a doubt that Perdido Street Station and The Scar are in my top 15 books ever, but holy crap I have never heard "ostentatious" used so many times. It's on every page! It's like the episode of South Park where they have the meter in the bottom right of the screen to count the number of times "shit" is said.

George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series is coming to HBO in April. The series is call "A Game of Thrones", which is the title of the first book and it boasts Sean Bean in a lead role. The books were great and Martin is one of my favorite authors of all time. I'm really looking forward to the series.

Mac

I just finished [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Demon-Wayne-Barlowe/dp/0765348659/ref=tmm_mmp_title_0"]God's Demon[/ame], recommended by shadowmac a while ago on here and by many others throughout my web travels, and I was blown away. If you're at all into the Paradise Lost / Dante's Inferno "mythos," you should definitely check it out.

Now I'm reading A. C. Clarke's Childhood's End, then Clive Barker's Imagica, then Hyperion!

I have a copy of Shadow & Claw that needs to be read soon!

Currently reworking my way through Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion. Incredible! I think after that I'm going to start reading Iain M. Banks' Surface Detail. Hopefully by then Embassytown will be released!