books

I want "realistic" books, to be more clear. Elements of sci-fi or fantasy are fine but the core should be believable.

ie no fucking vampires

Well, here is a little background on the vampire thing. It's not cheesy or anything, it's all given a scientific basis. It is very possible that you may think it sucks. This seems to be a niche book.:lol:

Oh and in regards to your second post. The vampire thing was an exercise in biology, it is completely believable. He includes a 30 page science citation index in the back.

ok, first I thought it was too nerd and stupid but now I'm thinking it's too intellectual and boring. :D I think I'll skip it however The Sheep Look Up sounds very promising.

I am a SF enthusiast. Thus, I hate almost all scifi and fantasy books. The majority focus on the book equivalent to special effects - a novel idea or a fantastic setting. Just Add Orcs is not a recipe for a brilliant fiction. But I digress... I am reading and pleased with Jack Vance - The Dying Earth. Previous to this I read Neil Gaiman - American Gods, which is highly intriguing.

I am a SF enthusiast. Thus, I hate almost all scifi and fantasy books.

As a sci fi fan, I completely identify with this statement. More so with fantasy, though. I actually can't read most fantasy because it relies too much on weird characters and outside forces (Like magic, for example) resolving the plot. I do like A Game Of Thrones to some extent, though!

With that said, I will still do a week of research on a sci fi to book to decide whether or not I want to read it. About 98% of it suffers from cliche's and a complete lack of creativity and focus. Some of it, though, is just incredible and thought provoking.

Phanto, that's cool. Like I said, I had to read it twice because a lot of it was way over my head.:lol:

Anyone read the Iron king by Maurice Druon. I've been looking at but can't decide if it is worth the price.

Currently reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. ACD was a closet gay. Seriously, had he ever even spoken to a woman?

Have you read The Time Ships by Steven Baxter? I had never even heard of him (Ironically!) until last week I found a copy in the dollar bin of a bookstore near me. I read online that it's pretty good.

Yes I have, mate - I hadn't read any sci-fi since I was a kid until I was introduced to Steven Baxter by a guy at work a couple of years ago. I then borrowed everything he had by Baxter (which was a lot!!) over the 2 years after and I have to say I thought his writing was immense. I can't recall disliking any of his work. I can't speak for anyone else as I'm not really a sci-fi buff - I'll have a go at reading anything (within reason) - so I can't say how he compares with other sci-fi authors. The only other sci-fi authors I've read recently are Arthur C.Clarke and Gentry Lee. I liked them too - especially the Rama series... I think I posted something on here about that series a while back... very good. :)

In that case, I'll take Time Ships with me to school to read.

I loved the first Rama book by Clarke. I have the other three as well, but I'm actually kind of scared to read them because I don't know how good they'll be.

Got Nassim Taleb's two books: "Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets"
and: "The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable"

sounds interesting, what are they about?

"Fooled by Randomness" is about how we, humans, tend to deal with randomness in life. Our fallacious tendency to see patterns where none exist (ever noticed how easy it is to see pictures in the clouds?). Thus we "tend to view the world as more explainable than it really is."
It also deals with Skewed distributions and Survivorship bias.

"The Black Swan" deals with Taleb's version of the black swan theory. It's about "high-impact, hard-to-predict, and rare events beyond the realm of normal expectations... and their dominant role in history."

Both (though I'm more interested in the first) are highly interesting and very well written works.

Do it. You know it makes sense...

Go on...

DOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTT...!! :heh:

I will, but it will take a while to get to. I still have some Alastair Reynolds (Chasm City, Redemption Arc and Pushing Ice), Peter F. Hamilton (Void books) and Robert Charles Wilson (Chronoliths and Blind Lake) to get through first.

Not to mention I just finished Endymion last night and started Rise of Endymion, too.o_O

I to am an avid reader - I read a ton, perhaps too much, because when I'm really into a book, it's hard to pull me away from it. Anyway, I've read stuff from every genre (some of which I was forced to read...I have a bachelor's in English literature) and I thought I'd list a few of the REALLY good novels, series and short stories that I've read. I must first qualify this by saying that I prefer fiction and historical fiction to other genres:

That said:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. A story from another time with ramifications for today. Best transition to film of ANY book(s) I've read.

Tolkien - I needn't say more.
A Song Of Ice and Fire (series) by George R.R. Martin. "A Game of Thrones" is book 1. Fantastic writing and he's not afraid to whack a main character!
Vampire of the Mists - Christie Golden. I never really got into "horror" books BUT I could not put this one down. Crosses fantasy like Tolkien with the Horror of Anne Rice.
Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson; This is the first installment in an ongoing storyline. Great writing and a profound depth of vocabulary - have a dictionary close to hand!
The Guilded Chain by Dave Duncan - part of The King's Blades series. The entire series is quite good. You won't be bored.
I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire by P.N. Elrod Awesome!
The Dark Elf Trilogy (series) by R.A. Salvatore One of the best series I've ever read. Start with "Homeland". Simply incredible.
Without Remorse by Tom Clancy Introduces the character of "Mr. Smith", a real bad-ass.
The Short Happy Life of Francis McComber - E. Hemingway A short story that has stuck in my mind since I first read it. Wow concept.
The Chronicles of Amber (series) by Roger Zelazny Suggested by a friend, excellent and new in concept. Very cool!
The Adept Series (series) by Piers Anthony Some of the best SciFi-Fantasy written.
The Vampire Lestat -Anne Rice Great story that is later referred to in "Interview with the Vampire".
The Belgariad (series) by David Eddings Starts with "Pawn of Prophecy" I've read 25 of Eddings books. This series is the best.
God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe A very recent read for me. A VERY unique concept and great character development. This one should be a movie!

And ANYTHING - aside from the sonnets - by William Shakespeare (yes, really). Universal, timeless and memorable characters.

I've read thousands upon thousands of books, and I've read alot af absolute crap. The above list stands out as excellent stuff.

You see many titles with "vampire" in the above list, but be advised that I RARELY read horror books, these are either great hybrids or they're just damned good!

I'm currently reading Steven Erikson's "Toll the Hounds", which is my 8th or 9th Erikson novel. So far, so good.

In addition to co-writing the music, I am the lyricist in HEDDA. Reading certainly gives me ideas about ideas, one builds upon the next. Reading definitely played a huge part in my writing the story conveyed in our concept album, "The Storm".

Check these books out and feel free to PM me with any questions.

P.S. Check out the HEDDA stuff! Links are in my signature.

Jamie Mac

I have The Chronicles of Amber on my shelf. Very huge book (It is ten in one, I think!) I have been meaning to read that for a while. How does that compare to (The much shorter) Lord of Light?