books

Just about to reread Shamans Crossing by Robin Hobb before i get the next in the series (i last read it right after release a few years back).

I am also reading the latest Racecar Engineering magazine. :)

btw, there's sci/fantasy, and then there's AMAZING sci/fantasy. I'm not talking about Asimov or Clarke, but guys like Gaiman and Mieville and other "nobodys" who have a firmer grasp of literary art.

Although I've never read any Mieville, I am currently reading Gaiman's "Anansi Boys", and thoroughly enjoying it (and the silly, Douglas Adams-y wonder of it all). I read "American Gods" a few months back and I must say, the man knows his way around an engrossing narrative.

And I also just saw STARDUST (which, effing amazing by the way)...it's just a Neil kinda summer.

Lately I've been reading a lot of Milan Kundera. A while ago I read Slowness and enjoyed it a lot. A few years later I picked up Life is Elsewhere and loved it. Recently I just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being and The Book of Laughter and Forgetting, though for some reason I didn't enjoy the latter too much. I just picked up Laughable Loves at the library so we'll see how that goes. He's such an eloquent writer; I love his metaphors.

Currently reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (almost done). Kenneth, I've heard of Gene Wolfe. Where would be a good place to start with him?

Kind of off topic - has anyone seen the trailers for the new Beowulf movie that's coming out later?

good place to start with Gene Wolfe: either the middle or bottom left of my signature :lol:

Those are respectively, depending on the edition you can find-
The Book of the Long Sun (LS)
Litany of the Long Sun (this is LS 1 & 2 in one book)
LS1: Nightside The Long Sun
LS2: Lakeside The Long Sun

or

The Book of the New Sun (NS)
Shadow & Claw (NS1 & NS2 in one book)
NS1: Shadow of the Torturer
NS2: Claw of the Conciliator

each of these "Books" (ie, the whole epic of each story) consists of 4 parts. These days, you can find editions consisting of Part1&2, Part3&4, for both epics.

Long Sun and New Sun are loosely (but importantly) related. The Book of the Short Sun is a direct sequel to Long Sun, and should be read after it to make the best chronological sense.

I realize this may sound confusing and use the words Book and Sun a lot :lol: but trust me, it's very, very worth it.

To summarize, read them this way:

*Shadow & Claw (NS1&2)
*Sword & Citadel (NS3&4)
Litany of the Long Sun (LS1&2)
Epiphany of the Long Sun (LS3&4)
On Blue's Waters (SS1)
In Green's Jungles (SS2)
Return to the Whorl (SS3)

*It doesn't matter if you read these first or last but the rest make better sense in order :lol:

Finished reading the HP series a few weeks ago..

Having to read Jurassic Park right now for my Ethics class in college; going to start today.

Oh yeah...I read Lord of the Rings too of course. :headbang:

^ I just read one giant book about mythologies of various cultures. I'm having an art history course so I decided to get familiar with the meanings behind the ancient paintings & scupltures etc. Cool stuff.

So now I'm reading Wolfe's Castle of Days. The first half is a collection of short stories themed on various holidays. The second half is amazing insight into the life and career of an author, with very personal and unedited letters to and from agents and publishers. I just finished The American Fantasy Tradition. Great collection of classic literature, the editor is an idiot though. Before that, Invisible Man. I'm also reading a book about the strategies and philosophy of Go, an asian boardgame 4000yrs old.

Nice bump!:kickass:

I have been reading mostly all non-fiction this year. I have had the year off from school (I'm starting college in a few weeks) so I read quite a few books. Just a recent few:

The Trouble with Physics - Lee Smolin. Interesting read. It's about how, unless string theory is tested (Which will happen in a few weeks with the LHC. Yay!!) it could harm physics a lot.

A few on evolution: The Ancestors Tale - Richard Dawkins and Why Darwin Matters - Micheal Shermer. Both where excellent, especially the Dawkins book.

It seems Barnes and Noble is selling A Brief History of Time/The Universe in a Nutshell by Steven Hawking for very cheap. If your into that sort of thing, I highly recommend it. These versions (Both sold as a single volume) have pictures.

At this moment I am reading/studying from Micheal Spivak's book Calculus. Damn, this book makes me feel stupid...:erk: