Bootleg or not to bootleg...

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
We are all fans of underground old school metal and we are aware that bootlegs exist everywhere and more than likely we own some.

I have often considered some albums for reissue, but then came to find out that they have been bootlegged. So, the question is this, what is likelihood if a proper reissue came out would you buy it rather just hang onto the bootleg?

This topic always intrigues me because so many things I want to reissue have been bootlegged recently.

I'd definitely buy the officiale reissue.
Unfortunately I've got 2 bootlegs (or maybe 3, not sure) in my collection: they're "The First Defiance" by Agony and "Suiciety" by Realm. It was my fault because I didn't control enough on the web what those "later reissues" were... I kept them, but from that day I've tried my best to keep bootlegs away. I can't pay lots of money for a cd that I could make by myself. (and maybe with a crappy sound quality).
But lots of artists I listen to probably will never be reissued...

Unfortunately I own a couple of bootlegs, but I would always buy a reissue if I had the choice. Generally, when a reissue is announced, I get excited about hearing something I've never heard before that is awesome, whereas if I accidentally buy a bootleg, it's because I've listened to the album on youtube so many times that I need to have a copy and don't do enough research to realize it's a bootleg.

I believe the only bootlegs I have are Gargoyle - Gargoyle (Nothing is Sacred), and Griffin - Flight of the Griffin (this was released by Old Metal Records but I've been told by someone that not all of those releases are band-sanctioned, so I guess it's not completely legitimate).

Reissues as long as they dont look like shit ;) I dont even buy bootleg albums, im not gonna pay for something like that where the band isnt even being supported. Id rather just download it off some foreign country blogspot and wait for the official reissue.

I dont want to say the No Remorse reissues look like shit but i think most people will agree with me that they are very lackluster and pretty much not even worth buying.

Only bootlegs i consider buying are live concerts. Im a big sucker for Mercyful Fate or King Diamond bootleg concerts on vinyl :$

Reissues as long as they dont look like shit ;) I dont even buy bootleg albums, im not gonna pay for something like that where the band isnt even being supported. Id rather just download it off some foreign country blogspot and wait for the official reissue.

I dont want to say the No Remorse reissues look like shit but i think most people will agree with me that they are very lackluster and pretty much not even worth buying.

Only bootlegs i consider buying are live concerts. Im a big sucker for Mercyful Fate or King Diamond bootleg concerts on vinyl :$

Funny you mention NRR boots. The GRINDER album was one I was considering then saw bootleg. I really want to do that one.

I absolutely prefer official releases against bootlegs. I held out for the official Skol Records version of Dammaj - Mutiny vs. getting a bootleg.

How is it? Very curious. Where did you pick it up?

I thought it was good. The sound on the bonus material was kinda uneven but given the year of the songs I kinda expected it. The album itself sounded good. I bought it off the guitarist after speaking to him on Facebook.

That is true, two I am working on now I really have to stretch and do a lot of elaboration to just expand a brief essay. Of course it is not like dealing with Saxon or Fates Warning, some of these bands barely had a "career" certainly when you are dealing with small circuit bands.