Borat

[KOTNO]Narrot;5558439 said:
is the translation particularly bad or do you just think that translating such a movie per se spoils the fun?

Well I haven't seen it yet but half of the hilarity is from his ridiculous accent...and having some random German guy trying to replicate the accent would be terrible. And yes, I think a lot of the jokes would be lost if translated.

Well I haven't seen it yet but half of the hilarity is from his ridiculous accent...and having some random German guy trying to replicate the accent would be terrible. And yes, I think a lot of the jokes would be lost if translated.

Do you think you could tell that to the tv and movie people here in Italy? I speak Italian as well, but EVERYFUCKIN'THING here is dubbed, where as in the states we prefer our movies in original language, with subtitles. You don't lose the sense and feeling of the film even if you have to read the subtitles. Everyone knows that Italians aren't the greatest at speaking English and that's ok, but there are many shows here that MUST be shown in English. Italian humor is quite slapstick as it is and some of it is just downright stupid. The only really intelligent and funny movie they've shown which should've been in Italian was "Fascisti su Marte" (Fascists on Mars, which is a movie about a Fascist military squad sent by Mussolini to stamp out Communism on Mars because Mars is the red planet, :p) but other than that it's just a bunch of scantilly clad or naked chicks dancing to stupid music on TV. Nothing on Italian TV is high brow...it's usually below what we would consider low brow. So when I suggest to people I know that they should watch something in English, such as Saturday Night Live, they're very resistant to it because they wouldn't get the jokes that well. Maybe that attitude is why Germans speak better English than they do.

Personally, I must watch it in original language...period. No matter what language, I cannot stand overdubs. You cannot fake the actors' emotions by simply translating it from some other person whose voice is completely different and isn't in the same situation. That's my biggest gripe.

It's just one of those movies you can't take seriously. Just laugh your ass off and have a good time.

Ok, it only took me a year to watch it FINALLY

Oh my god... I laughed so hard... some of the scenes are priceless.
I think what cracked me up even more, is the fact that Cohen spoke Hebrew the entire
movie... oh man... :lol:

Ok, it only took me a year to watch it FINALLY

Oh my god... I laughed so hard... some of the scenes are priceless.
I think what cracked me up even more, is the fact that Cohen spoke Hebrew the entire
movie... oh man... :lol:

And Polish...

We loved it! And we only saw it recently as well. lol, Alex will go around the house saying things from it like "You made hand party to Pamela!"

My favorite part I think has to be that classic naked wrestling. That was so nasty! :lol: