Borknagar, Empiricism - FINALLY!

I don't know if I'm totally sold yet. On my first couple of listens, I don't hear anything really pulling me in. Like when I first heard Cosmic Genesis, I was like "Fuuuuuuck!" Empiricism hasn't had that effect on me yet. Sometimes it takes a few days, so I won't give up on it. It's not bad at all, it just doesn't have that initial punch like ALL of the Vintersorg albums do.

Originally posted by Algol
I don't know if I'm totally sold yet. On my first couple of listens, I don't hear anything really pulling me in. Like when I first heard Cosmic Genesis, I was like "Fuuuuuuck!" Empiricism hasn't had that effect on me yet. Sometimes it takes a few days, so I won't give up on it. It's not bad at all, it just doesn't have that initial punch like ALL of the Vintersorg albums do.

I want to take back what I said here. Listened to it under headphones today, twice, and I've seen the light! Man the drumming is astounding! Asgeir Mickelson rules!

I didn't "get" this album right away either, I realized I was comparing it to Vintersorg and that was the reason. Vintersorg being one of my favorite bands nothing really can compare, even Borknagar. I have to remember to start listening to discs with a clear mind not a set standard of what they must live up to! I really like the new Borknagar album one of my favorite albums of 2001 for sure.

Originally posted by winter-frost
I didn't "get" this album right away either, I realized I was comparing it to Vintersorg and that was the reason. Vintersorg being one of my favorite bands nothing really can compare, even Borknagar. I have to remember to start listening to discs with a clear mind not a set standard of what they must live up to! I really like the new Borknagar album one of my favorite albums of 2001 for sure.

yeah one of my fave for 2001 too.
I'm glad that I'm very open minded...
I try not to compare anything, so everything stays it's own individual.
But I have to say I learned my lesson with expecting to much of some one. A friend of mine had a fantastic album out, he is a very, very good singer, knowing this, I expected a very good album to follow...
I was soooooo disappointed...

Oh! I love Empiricism too, and I love vintersorg's voice on the album, the only thing is that I fell in love with Siemen's voice when once I heard Colossus...I missed him a little. I mean, I had vintersorg albums, otyg and havayoth...and now I don't have Siemen singnin' elsewhere (while he's being missused in Dimmu) so I guess I would preferred him to stay...so I could go on listening both....
Anyway, the king is dead, long live the king :loco:

Originally posted by winter-frost

Exactly. But it's hard sometimes, because when you hear Vintersorg's voice, all the other projects he does come to mind. Especially since the singing style on Empiricism is very similar to the Vintersorg band singing. So I immediately had that comparrison going. Borknagar has made it's own space in my head now, though, so I can appreciate it separately. I'm treating like a 2002 release since it technically comes out Jan.22 right?

I never compare Vintersorgs projects to eachother because their all different in their own way, how could I compare Otyg to Borknagar or Havayoth to Vintersorg? Their all unique and just sewn together by possibly one of the greatest vocalists in metal today :D

Originally posted by Algol
I'm treating like a 2002 release since it technically comes out Jan.22 right?
do u mean the Borkey album? 'cuz that one came out the 22nd of october... i have the promo, and checked the date...

well.. the rest of the world had 22nd of october :p
but damn i want your version too! :cry:
but i would probably get it here.. since my local record shop is one of the greatest in the.. world! :D

yeah its the 22nd of January, if it was October 22nd 2002 I think id go jump off a plane..........

Algol your avatar scares me.......

but no reveal HOW he loves animals ;)
*of course kidding*

btw how is pronoounced Øystein???
this first letter just drops me!!!