Borknagar- "Empiricism"

Walter_Langkowski

Neuroses Facilitator
A fellow UM'er burned me a copy of this album from 2001 and I am absolutely blown away by it. I've always thought of Borknagar as a pure Black Metal band (without hearing them), but after reading some reviews I got be interested in them. And while there are the standard Black Metal-isms throughtout (shrieking vox and blastbeat tempos), this particular album is A LOT more Progressive than I would've thought. There also are some very cool Folk-y passages as well. Also, the singer (Vintersorg) has an amazing, unique voice. I am very impressed.

My question is does anyone have any more of their albums or any of the solo ones by Vintersorg? Some of them are described as 'Progressive' but obviously that is a very wide umbrella.

:headbang:

You must get every Vintersorg CD....the early stuff is folkish with heavy stuff tossed in, very much like the disc you have now, the newer stuff is more technical and has more clean vocals but still damn good. The latest one is really good. The latest Borknagar is an acoustic disc which is actually really good, mainly because I am a huge fan of Vintersorg. I would get all his stuff and all the side projects if you really like that Borknagar disc...here is an order of how I would get his stuff

for Vintersorg:
1.Cosmic Genesis
2.Visions From The Spiral Generator
3. Till Fjalls
4. Solens Rotter
5. Odemaerkens Son
7. The Focusing Blur

OTYG- Vintersorgs folk side project
1. Sagovndars Boning
2.Alvefard

avoid the Fission side project...not good. I have has a hard time finding Hayvaoth, his other side thing. Supposed to be great.

Cronian is another good side band with another guy from Borknagar actually. Very much the same thing as Borknagar which always cracks me up, why not just do a new disc with that band if you are going to copy it.

Any Borknagar disc is pretty good too. Every two asides the Vintersorg ones have different singers but are all in the same vien.

If you get into the newer Vintersorg stuff...I highly recommend WINDS...more of the same kinda stuff.

I like a variety of styles...just power metal is my favorite and then comes the folk metal stuff....just today I got a wide variety of disc..

Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
Vision Divine - the 25th Hour
Suidakra - Caledonia
Black majesty - Tomorrowland
Doomsword - My Name With Live On

a nice mix of power, folk, death and some doom.

where last week was all power pretty much with

Freedom Call - Dimensions (incredible disc too)
Insania - Agony
Iron Savior - Megatropolis
Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything.

I have a very select taste....people think I am only a power metal guy.

I listened a little to the new one....thank God it sounds more like the early stuff and not the last album. I read that one of the main guys came back and that is why is sounds good again. The last disc was In Flames worship. It was terrible. I am glad they are back into form again.

Yeah....I listened to some of the Doomsword yesterday while cleaning and stuff, really good....definetly one of those bands you really need to listen to more than once. I will have to grab the other disc next week if it is still there.

Command to Charge was horrible. I like to think they never recorded it.

Excluding CtC, they have a flawless discography.

I will never forget putting on Command To Charge....after "Signs For The Fallen" which is one of my favorites... I was like....is this the wrong CD in the case. I was never so disappointed in a disc since the second Dreamaker disc.
I am so glad that Suidakra are back into true form again. They are a really underrated band. I am amazed that more people are not into them or even bring them up. Glad to see they have some fans on here.

If they ever come over they need to be an opening act for a larger band....something along the lines of Dark Tranquility, Therion, and bands of that vein. I think if enough people heard them they would really be popular.