Borknagar meaning

Mantis

Naturmistikk & Folktale
Jul 18, 2003
Eburum
Visit site
I read someone wanted to know what borknagar means translated in english so bork means bark of a tree and nagar...well, the verb naga means to cause pain to plague but also to gnaw so it can be "bark-tormentor" or "bark-gnawer" maybe it's a parasite of the tree......

Mantis (from Vintersorg forum)

It seems I remember a Metal Maniacs interview years ago when Oystein said that Borknagar really doesn't mean anything, thus allowing the music to have no limits. In that respect, I certainly think Borknagar is better than Death, Rotting Christ, or Septic Flesh :)

heh... well the name reminds me of the german word "Borkennager/Borkenkäfer" which translated into english means "bark beetle".

However, i've heard several band members stating several times, that the name has no actual meaning and is just a creation of Øystein's mind

Infact I translated the name in its part not as a whole even though I think its meaning is as the german wolfenmond said
Anyway if someone could get the lyrics from their first album I'd gladly translate them in english for everyone
I'm just disposable
Mantis

Hey Mantis i've been trying to find a translation for their SONG TITLES on their first album, they have no lyrics printed. You can kind of make out a few words here and there because Garm always had great enunciation, but its in old norske so i don't know what the hell they are saying lol.

01. Vintervredets Sjelesagn
02. Tanker mot Tind (Kvelding)
03. Svartskogs Gilde
04. Ved Steingard
05. Krigsstev
06. Dauden
07. Grimskalle Trell
08. Nord Naagauk
09. Fandens Allheim
10. Tanker mot Tind (Gryning)

No prob I'll translate the title for you
Vintervredets Sjelesagn = Soul-tale of the winter wrath
Tanker mot Tind (Kvelding) = Thoughts/reflexions towards the peak (getting evening)
03. Svartskogs Gilde = black forest's feast/baquet
04. Ved Steingard = by the stone farm
05. Krigsstev = war song
06. Dauden = death
07. Grimskalle Trell = grim-skull slave
08. Nord Naagauk = this is a bird I image a cuckoo anyway it's a folkloric character that it's said when he sings he forebodes death
09. Fandens Allheim = the devil's universe
10. Tanker mot Tind (Gryning) = thoughts/reflexions towards the peak (dawning)

The scourge I didn't mean to villify you I just don't believe borknagar means nothing, if he is a folkloric character his name can be a word to translate even more if he is folkloric

Mantis

Bravo Mantis. I gotta stop posting after I am hammered, Christ. I didn't mean vilified, rather, vindicated. I don't know where my head is at sometimes, hehe :kickass:
And thank you for the song title translations as well. It would appear then that the album cover is a reflection of the fourth track, Ved Steingard. Very enlightening stuff. Now if only we could find someone here to post the norwegian lyrics so your most useful translating skills can be put to more work...........
Hail

No prob the scourge it's ok. About the lyrics, I know that dimmu borgir's first album hasn't got lyrics (i got it) but they are on the site because a lot of fan asked for them, maybe if there's a great request we can make they'll decide to give them away in their official site, in this forum, we can organize a massive request :)) I also once wanted the lyrics of satyricon's first album which I love (it seems a trend bm bands didn't put lyrics in their first album) but i never found someone who wrote them or a forum where ask, here we got fans and forum so we don't have to let this opportunity go away

Mantis

ha...I was forgetting, the instrumental song from "the olden domain" "om hundrede aar er alting glemt" means "about hundred years are all forgotten"
Mantis

P.S. Anyone could ask Aesgir to aks Mr Brun to give the lyrics for s/t album as it seems he's in this forum often

Mantis said:
ha...I was forgetting, the instrumental song from "the olden domain" "om hundrede aar er alting glemt" means "about hundred years are all forgotten"
Mantis

P.S. Anyone could ask Aesgir to aks Mr Brun to give the lyrics for s/t album as it seems he's in this forum often

Just passing by, sorry. :)

These lyrics should be translated into something more like "in a hundred years, all will be forgotten".. That would make more sense for the english people around here..-not directly translated, but.. so that it makes sense. :)

Just discovered Borknagar this morning, btw.. Awesome band.

ProgRÿche said:
Just passing by, sorry. :)

These lyrics should be translated into something more like "in a hundred years, all will be forgotten".. That would make more sense for the english people around here..-not directly translated, but.. so that it makes sense. :)

Just discovered Borknagar this morning, btw.. Awesome band.

Suggestions are always welcomed

Mantis

As far as i know, Øystein once said that Borknagar was took from Norchnagar, it is a mountain i don´t remember where it is located. And Borknagar doesn´t means anything in particular, it just sounded cool, and there you got it. And actually, it sounds cool.