Born of Osiris is giving away stems for their song "MCHINE"

Absofuckinglutely man. I've been saying it now for god knows how long, metal production has become the same as electronic music. I'm not just talking about the unrealistic tightness, but the aesthetic qualities of the sounds chosen. They just don't sound like real instruments anymore, especially drums, and it detracts from the ideals and philosophies of the genre itself.
who says those initial philosophies (dating back to the 70s early metal phase stemming from rock and roll i presume) are still intact and or valid 40 years later?

who says those initial philosophies (dating back to the 70s early metal phase stemming from rock and roll i presume) are still intact and or valid 40 years later?

I'm talking about the notion of a few sweaty dudes coming together to play aggressive music. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not an anti-progress sort of a person, I love the fact that modern digital production has actually helped push the genre forward, and has made people strive for a higher level of performance. But you can have technical, aggressive, modern music, and still make it sound human. There's just something about this particular sound aesthetic that feels slightly juxtaposed with the music that's being played.

Well one would hope that as a genre of music metal stood for more than kids in snapbacks parading around faux discontent with white middle class suburbia to the sound of 808s and drum samples. It was always a conflicted genre; culture for people who hate culture which makes this current realisation of the genre, at best, a slightly strange pill to swallow.

This stuff all runs in ten year cycles anyway - hair metal was the last iteration of the cycle which embraced such rampant self centred egomania and, to some extent, the overproduced elements we see here today - only then it was peroxide blonde hair and gated reverbs, now we have fake tits and autotune. There will be a swing against this eventually - it happened in the 90's with grunge and it will happen again when this rampant oversaturation of production elements has become too much to bear; we can already see the pendulum swinging back when populists such as Dave Grohl push this "analogue" approach - although this itself is corrupted by his monetisation of the format - millionaires preaching austerity through their Neve desks to the impoverished outliers of rock music.

I am very much with you on the percieved dissonance train between aesthetic and message.

But after all... mechanically tight sounds mixed with lyrics about consciousness-elevation or some other sciency stuff are maybe the heirs of revolt-expression but definitely not their successors. For me just because it's metal it does not claim to be counter culture or something at all, technically it's just some less spazzy drum'n'bass played with distorted guitar samples.

I myself made the transition from being a technical-music-whatever-head to someone who is completely bored with the whole thing and now play in a 90s screamo band. One of the few generes (albeit unlistenable) which still adheres to the old spark of not necessarily being counter culture but forward culture discussing the human condition and adhering to that also in production aesthetic. Of course there will be no social pendulum swing to "real culture" (as made in the under-underground) but only to the lukewarm rehash of "real culture" the majors will push, but who i am to judge what culture is in the eye of the audience? Maybe dave grohls analogue ravings are percieved to be more honest and real than 4 white kids bashing their instruments in a basement and screaming about kafka.

edit: i re-read my own post and it sounds quite butthurt. I am not, i have no problem with the kids being all the painful cliches and only caring about fake tits and breakdowns, i am just not participating :3

I think the prevailing message is not that it claims to be anything musically but that it's marketed as such and that none of its particular aesthetic really rings true on any level; I think ultimately Jarkkos simile about how you can 'shit in a pot, throw in a potato and call it a stew but people will still be looking at you funny' is still fairly poignant here. The only difference is that the shit goes through twenty levels of processing before it reaches the pot. I tried to get away from the term "real music" because that is such an unnecessarily loaded phrase but I think that, at this stage, it would be more interesting to see even popular culture embrace something that wasn't clawing and forced; even if that was in itself just another trend that is hijacked to make money (hey, what else is new?)

I'm talking about the notion of a few sweaty dudes coming together to play aggressive music. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not an anti-progress sort of a person, I love the fact that modern digital production has actually helped push the genre forward, and has made people strive for a higher level of performance. But you can have technical, aggressive, modern music, and still make it sound human. There's just something about this particular sound aesthetic that feels slightly juxtaposed with the music that's being played.

I agree.

Tenacious D also has a one-note song, but theirs is better cause they bend it every once in a while...

Just sayin...

He most likely reamped with the Kemper using his custom profile of the Cali Diamond Plate
huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

edit: I think joey is a very skilled engineer and at the top of his game at what he does, especially considering the budgets he worked with in the past he should very well be hailed as the master of damage control as his product often sounds way more expensive than it really was. And in earlier days he did a lot of awesome stuff, for example the devil wears prada record plagues was recorded live for a big part and it just has that energy about it.

I liked The Discovery (2011 Born Of Osiris record) and i hope the new one will amount to the same heights but i was very letdown with machine.

He most likely reamped with the Kemper using his custom profile of the Cali Diamond Plate

obviously!

4qhIt.jpg

Why was this stem released? to get feedback on production? for fans?
This ones mostly aimed at the vagina mouth pic dude (sic pic btw). Do you know how broke most bands are right now? and your talking about a band going all "pop". The band just got different production, they are older (what 26), they don't have Richardson, need a root, they were different to the way they were 2-3 years ago. for you to say a band like BoO has gone pop and then add all this other BS after one song is just wrong, polarised BS.
Its a shame we can just remove that polar opinionated BS and focus all our rage on bubblegum pop. I mean what other genre tears itself to bits? man I learnt something from these stems. Thanks for posting them man.

Why was this stem released? to get feedback on production? for fans?
This ones mostly aimed at the vagina mouth pic dude (sic pic btw). Do you know how broke most bands are right now? and your talking about a band going all "pop". The band just got different production, they are older (what 26), they don't have Richardson, need a root, they were different to the way they were 2-3 years ago. for you to say a band like BoO has gone pop and then add all this other BS after one song is just wrong, polarised BS.
Its a shame we can just remove that polar opinionated BS and focus all our rage on bubblegum pop. I mean what other genre tears itself to bits? man I learnt something from these stems. Thanks for posting them man.

Plz shut the fukk up with that opinionated BS about my opinionated BS (sic post count btw brah) and realise that as your just talking about a dude with a different opinion and a flow so sick its as slick as a polar bear sliding on its own vomit. Now dude, what other genre is intelligent enough to hold an discussion between erudite fellows about the fucking nature of its biznizz? Not this one man, I just want to look at polaroids of rihannas ass. Man I learnt something from this and at the end of the day its that it's just a shame we cant all just can't stfu and talk smack on drew.

Öwen;10659087 said:
Plz shut the fukk up with that opinionated BS about my opinionated BS (sic post count btw brah) and realise that as your just talking about a dude with a different opinion and a flow so sick its as slick as a polar bear sliding on its own vomit. Now dude, what other genre is intelligent enough to hold an discussion between erudite fellows about the fucking nature of its biznizz? Not this one man, I just want to look at polaroids of rihannas ass. Man I learnt something from this and at the end of the day its that it's just a shame we cant all just can't stfu and talk smack on drew.

Not trying to deter the conversation...

But your Man-Stache makes me jealous.

If I am not mistaken they are selling a few records so sturgis must have done something right. I don't particularly like his productions but those of you talking shit about him sound like fools.

Make no mistake, I respect Joey for getting this sound correct. Not only does he nail it he has a bunch of moron imitators trying to copy him.

That said, this sound needs to die. It's not creative or original anymore. The formula has been copied and copied and copied...

I just don't understand the aesthetic qualities of these stems and overall sound. The drum samples sound very "electronic," the guitars don't sound like what I think of when a guitar is plugged into an amp, and the bass is just out of control. Nothing sounds real or even close to real, it all sounds like high quality synth instruments imitating their versions of real instruments.

With that being said, this is the sound the band wanted and Joey delivered.