Born of Osiris is giving away stems for their song "MCHINE"

I mainly read this forum and I read a lot about editing bass and guitars, but seriously those guitars are edited so hawt, can't really see the asthetics of it. But then again I am not an engineer, just some fella having fun playing music.

Well, this is interesting.

Soooo super edited, yet the little 'blip' in the rhythm guitar @ :53. Wtf?!

I take it these stems are all rendered with all processing on? Meaning there isn't a whole lot you can do except to learn how others process things.

I take it these stems are all rendered with all processing on? Meaning there isn't a whole lot you can do except to learn how others process things.
Yep. Pretty sure it has everything down to the mastering, so what you're hearing in your daw is exactly what you'll hear on the album (with the faders at 0).

Yep. Pretty sure it has everything down to the mastering, so what you're hearing in your daw is exactly what you'll hear on the album (with the faders at 0).

LOL, because all faders at 0 was CLIIIIIIPING my master like insanely.

Someone mentioned that all the tracks are probably limited and/or rendered to just under 0.0db.

Is there any other sites hosting it? That download manager keeps throwing me an error when I try to run it.

Hi.
So this was pretty interesting for me from the point of view of what goes on inside a modern metal mix. Honestly... I do not understanding the choice of the guitar/bass tones. But all in all the tracks are so well eqed that they really blend perfectly. I tried out 3 experiments with these tracks.

1) I am working on a modern metal mix right now but with less digital/processed sounding bass and guitar tones. And this was my thought process:
Okay so I have a rough mix with guitars through a 5150 and bass that has a lot of distortion. If i use these stems and eq my guitar and bass tracks (using a spectrometer or... my ears :Smug:) to sound similar, the mix will MORE OR LESS have the flavor that the artist intended but the tones will MORE OR LESS blend in like Machine.
I think i was successful in achieving my goal - A mix that sounds less digital and processed but has the punch and awesomeness of this mix.

2) I wanted to extract the vocals from the song and see what exactly was going on there (and more importantly why they weren't provided :err:). Anyway, so this was pretty easy:
Load everything in Cubase. Rip the song from the CD in wav and import that in the session too and reverse the phase of the ripped wav. Match up everything down to a single sample and the vocals should pop out.
And they did.
Well some transients from the toms and Bass drums and snare do remain but i got what I wanted. The vocals sound really good. Both the vocalists have done a good job. I will be using this as a reference show the vocalists who "Want to sound like BOO".

3)Some things i noticed about the master track compression on the final track as on the CD (okay this is a little difficult to explain):

So as soon as I loaded the tracks in Cubase i realized that individually the tracks weren't going to clip (obviously they can't) but i would have to pull the master down otherwise the master track would clip like hell.

(I don't really understand how "batch export" works but the maximizer or L3 or whatever that Joey used on the master wasn't really going to do much when each track was bounced separately whether it was in the bounce chain or not.)

However when i heard the album version and the stems i realized that to have the same listening volume i had to keep the master (of the session with the stems) at 0 db. Does this mean that in Joey's session the final track maximizer was working on levels that insanely high (peaking at 9.1db during the bass drops and averaging at 5.5db on snare hits) and bringing it down to zero? Am a little confused about this? Because this seems like a little too much compression, but i don't know... i most probably am wrong in my deduction.

EDIT: If someone wants the vocal track let me know.

Mohanish, it would be wonderful if you could provide us with the vocal track, that would be really sweet! : D

Not being better than Joey doesn't somehow negate someones opinion on it being bad. You don't know how to build a car from scratch; does that mean you can't say that a Geo Metro is a piece of shit?

Hey now - I had a brand new Geo Metro in 1993. I was doing field service as my first job in IT and that little fucker made me a load of cash on top on my normal salary back in those days.

I traveled all around Connecticut and Western Mass doing corporate calls all the while putting on about 150 - 225 miles a day at around $.30 per mile working out to about a $1300 mileage check each month. My car payment and insurance were maybe a total of $300 per month, and that Metro got close to 45 miles to the gallon (I did almost all highway miles), Gas was about $1.15 per gallon in 93 for a total cost for a months fuel being less than $150.

So, on average I ended up with north of $750 dollars extra a month in my pocket for the two and a half years I was doing that. That little "piece of shit" made me about $22,500 over that period all the while getting paid off.

Just goes to show it's all in how you look at things ;)

Now, continue on with the original topic which I have absolutely no opinion or care of :):Smug:

did anyone else notice that the kick in this album doesnt sound like slate? at least to me.

I know the general consensus is that the guitars/bass are too choka choka hyper editing. I think this is the production the band has been looking for and needs really. When you really listen through, the music, atmosphere, and ideas sound absolutely glorious especially here

The track "Illusionst" is super Necrophagist esque too!

Last edited by a moderator: