Boss Compression Sustainer (CS-3) Pedal?

Aug 6, 2006
I am happy with my live sound but I just got a free Boss Compression Sustainer (CS-3) Pedal and was wondering if it might add anything to my sound? I am looking for any and all sugestions.

My live set up is:

Crate GX-130C Head
AVATAR Cab with a mix of two Celestion Vintage 30 and two G12T75s

I have a Boss GE-7 7-Band Graphic Equalizer Pedal in the effexts loop. I plug my guitar into a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor and then into my tuner and then into my head.

Where if at all would I get the best use of the Boss Compression pedal?

Thanks...

It's a POS in the nicest possible way, but try it out, you may like it. I'd say it would best be suited first in the chain, in front of the amp. I'd say only stomp on it for solo's. I can't imagine there being too much use for it for rhythm playing, although with the right settings it *could* fatten up the sound.

Yeah, I'd say using it for cleans and especially solos in front of the amp would be its only use (to compress your dry signal, cuz in the loop, it'd be compressing the preamp signal, which is already pretty freakin' compressed from the distortion anyway).

I just got a CS-3 a few weeks ago myself. It's not amazing or mind blowing in any way but it's useful. It evens out the sound a bit. I like that it lowers the 'plosives' a bit but it also seems to bring up the squealies and subtle stuff. I like that a lot. It's a lot more noticeable on cleans and for me, when I have the coil-taps on. I tried it in front of my amp and in the loop and it didn't seem to have hardly any effect in the loop compared to in front of the amp. I intend to get the MonteAllums mods done to it and my SD-1. Stock they add subtle tonal changes. I use the SD-1 more like a clean boost than an OD. I leave the CS-3 on all the time now though I want to set up my rig so it's only on when I'm my clean channel or coil-tapped. I want to hear for myself if these mods do what they claim to. FWIW, I love the sound of my amp stock so whether the mods come through on their promise or not it's no loss to me.