BOSS MetalZone

WikkidGurl

Vaginal Stimulator
Nov 30, 2001
Arizona
www.fleshfair.net
I got a Boss MetalZone .... I have dicked with it forever but cant get a CRUNCHY sound that you can actually hear what I am playing ... sounds like wall of noise.
Anyone got any suggestions ??

I play through :
Boss MetalZone
Boss Chorus
DOD Flanger

ESP LTD 250 (seymour duncans)

Crate GX-130c head

Ampeg 4x12 cab (top and bottom)

Are you running the MT-2 through your amps clean or dirty channel?

You might try lowering the bass and mids on your head, and using the MT-2 to compensate.

I've found that when I'm using my MT-2 through my crappy 100w tube head (my practice rig), that if I keep the low and mid up too high, the output is muddied considerably.

I know nothing about the Crate...

If it's solid state, then the level on your MT-2 should be set just left of top, about 11:30... any more and your signal will be too hot for the head and you'll get all sorts of signal clipping that will sound horrible.

If it's a tube preamp, then try setting it at about 1:00.

As for the lack of articualtion and clarity, yeah, the MT-2 Metal Zone isn't really that great.

Try keeping the distortion at about 2- 3 o'clock.. any more and it gets TOO fuzzy.

If you have any more questions, your settings might help too.

I run through the clean channel.

My settings are

Level : 12:00
Low : 2:00
high : 2:00
mid : 8:00
mi freq : 9:00
Distortion : 3:00

the settings on my head (wich is solid state)
are all set at 12:00 (low , mid , high , level)

I'd try running the MT-2 Level down a little, 11:30 or so, as it seems some SS heads/amps won't like a hot signal... though it doesn't sound like you're getting preamp clipping, but you may be driving it a little hard.

Your Metal Zone is set similar to mine, but my Mid Freq is set to about 4:00 and Middle is almost at 1:00.

Try rolling your head's bass and mids down a little bit more, and use your master volume to compensate for volume, and adjust the MT-2 to suit.

What kind of pickups are you running?

I've found that the MT-2 isn't really the greatest pedal for SS amps, but I can get some usable and fairly defined sound out of one of my smaller amps. I do have the bass and mids and about 10:00 on that, and if I bring them up any higher, with my MT-2 set similar to yours (except mid boost, which you seem to be using a LOT of), it tends to get muddy and washed out.

Each rig is different, and since sound is a subjective thing you'll need to adjust to taste of course...

I am running the Semour Duncan SH-4 (I assume , as I know they are not the SH-6)

I dicked with it a little bit today and some came out different , and I was able to make the sound more understandable ..... howevr it was through one of my other band mates head.LMAO. (more RMS wattage).

Thanks for your help ... it made a difference.
And soon you will hear it www.mp3.com/fleshfair

Well, I'm glad I could be of some help.

May also be the pickup. The SH-4 seems to be more popular with rock and lite metal players.

Do you have problems getting a more articulate sound from other guitars?

Anyways, bookmarked the link, I'll check it out in a week or so. ;)

Well, right now I'm really digging my TB-4, it's got really nice crunch, a bit more mid-scooped sounding than I prefer, but it's really dark sounding too.

I also like the EMG, it's much more of a flat eq, but is good for getting finickey amps to sound better. It's not as high output at the TB-4, which causes me to need to use more level boost into my tube head, but is great for SS.

If you really like Seymor Duncans, they sell a CD for $5 that shows you exactly what their pickups do. Same guitar, same amp, same rythm and same leads, same person playing, except they swap out the pickups. That might help you decide which would be most appropriate to you, though the wood of a guitar does play an important role on how a pickup would sound, it's good for comparison.

SD also has the "tone wizard" that lets you select what kind of instrument you play and what kind of sound you are looking for, and will offer suggestions as to what might be suitable... it's here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/SDToneWizard/
Maybe that'll help!

Try turning the distortion down, to maybe like 11 or 12, no more than 1. I use to have it cranked and it sounded like shit.
Dude, I loathe the fucking TB-4 in my soloist...I think I'm going to throw a screamin demon in it.

Originally posted by WikkidGurl
I got a Boss MetalZone .... I have dicked with it forever but cant get a CRUNCHY sound that you can actually hear what I am playing ... sounds like wall of noise.
Anyone got any suggestions ??

I play through :
Boss MetalZone
Boss Chorus
DOD Flanger

ESP LTD 250 (seymour duncans)

Crate GX-130c head

Ampeg 4x12 cab (top and bottom)

The Metalzone is not really going to give you that crunch sound that's going to punch through the rest of the mix in a band. It was basically meant to run through the clean channel of your amp for that saturated distortion sound associated with modern lead guitar work. With the crate, I would recommend you use the crate's distorted channel and screw with the EQ on there.

Question though, are you talking about "crunch" as in classic rock crunch like AC/DC? Your probably going to get a bunch of mixed replies from that because its kinda vague.

hahahahahahahahahaha the Crate distortion is soooo dry.
It is awful. The distortion on the upgraded Crate sounds kool.
But mine sounds like ass.

hmmmm lets see crunch like ... Pain , Obituary ...almost deathy yet understandable in a Industrial setting.

Originally posted by WikkidGurl
hahahahahahahahahaha the Crate distortion is soooo dry.
It is awful. The distortion on the upgraded Crate sounds kool.
But mine sounds like ass.

hmmmm lets see crunch like ... Pain , Obituary ...almost deathy yet understandable in a Industrial setting.

True, the old crates are terrible, but if you get a crate head with their flexwave electronic technology, then it sounds great. i.e: crate gx1200h.

As far as getting that crunchy sound without the distortion saturating the sound, an easy way is to keep your mt2 cranked but turn the volume down on your guitar. Depending on your setup, you could get exactly what your looking for or too much of a classic rocklike sound.

Maybe what you mean by "crunch" is what I've heard referred to as "chunk"? Meaning getting that punchy sound that still will give you a low end boom yet you can pick out the individual notes easier.

Industrial.. I know a lot of industrial bands use mesas.. as far as KMFDM goes, if you get into that, he uses a mesa boogie dual rec head and a jackson guitar with I'm assuming seymour duncans as well. He gets his trademark "thin" sound with this setup, which is actually mostly due to the absence of a bass guitar in the mix.

Sorry about the disorganized random paragraphs, what I'd actually recommend you do if your having a hard time finding your sound is to goto a bunch of music stores and try out different pedals, try to run them through an amp similar to yours. You can either invest in one, or find what kind of setup or amp/amp head would give you the same kinda tone as that pedal does. Check out some of the other Boss distortion pedals.. "turbo distortion", etc. they are watered down versions of the metal zone basically, as far as saturated harmonic distortion goes. They'll give you more of a "crunch" or "chunk" sound then the metal zone will. Also, try dropping your lowest string to a dropped tuning (if you can, I can't with my main axe because its a floyd rose). It's the favorite of mainstream numetal acts in the US, which I despise, but its also used conservatively by a lot of different metal bands to get a different feel to a song. It really does lend a totally different feel to the song, as you can slide up and down the neck quite easily with the one finger barred power chords.

Ex: Colony by In Flames (drop A#)
Ordinary Story " " (drop A#)

I didn't read all of JesterRace's comment, but I found that a cheap Sovtek Tube amp combined with a Carvin cab and my Carvin guitar and MetaZone pedal made for a very aggressive distortion. It easily punched through the mix. The key was having a very warm sounding tube amp.

yeah I was wondering if a tube amp would help.
My next purchase would be a power amp.
But I have never seen a winner in the Tube vs. Solid-state argument.
Time to make avisit to guitar center ... where you get no help and treated like crap ... but everything is plugged in hehehehe

Yeah, I think you're looking for what is commonly considered an all tube distortion sound...

Tube wins over solid state any time... Most of the people who would argue in favor of the solid state are either beginners, have a bad ear for tone, or are specifically looking for the unnatural harmonic overtones that one gets from SS stuff. Usually they fall within the first two categories...

Ignorance IS bliss.

Clarity, articulation, warmth and feel are things a tube gives you that solid state can't.

Plug into a Mesa, Bogner, Crate Blue Voodoo, Peavey 5150 or any number of other tube heads WITHOUT a pedal, and compare Crunch tone to ANY solid state amp... with or without pedals.

All it takes is having someone play a tube amp next to a Line 6 or other SS amp at the same time....

I tried a 5150 II
damn that thing had awsome distortion.
I cant afford a Mesa so I would just rather not touch one.lol.

I plugged my MetalZone into my PA so I could play at a lower volume ... oddest thing ... the fucker sounded great.

Wich leads me to believe its the head's fault.

I was also looking into a TubeWorks Mosvalve 80 power amp
or the Marshal 8008.
Anyone dicked with those ??

I'd avoid the Marshall... if you're going to pay for one of those, spend the extra and get something nicer...

Marshall unfortunately is top dollar for the lowest grade components and assembly... now...

I'd look into getting a Blue Voodoo or a 5150... both can be had for under a grand and smoke the Marshall... Better sound for less money... I think it's a no-brainer...

Never played the TubeWorks stuff, but I've heard good things about their products.

Try turning down your distortion. You have way too much. I used to be obsessed with distortion when I first started playing, but I know now that you can get a powerful sound without loads of distortion. So try lowering it. I usually put the distortion on my MT-2 to about 9:00 position. I then scoop out all my mids (ala Metallica) and turn the preamp all the way up and the postamp all the way down.

Originally posted by xenophobe
I'd avoid the Marshall... if you're going to pay for one of those, spend the extra and get something nicer...

Marshall unfortunately is top dollar for the lowest grade components and assembly... now...

I'd look into getting a Blue Voodoo or a 5150... both can be had for under a grand and smoke the Marshall... Better sound for less money... I think it's a no-brainer...

What the fuck are you talking about top dollar? Mesas are a few hundred more than Marshall. Diezels are a few grand more than Marshall.
Don't get a Blue Voodoo...they constantly shit the bed.
You pay for what you get...