boss gt-3

fadingessence

All is Lost
Feb 7, 2003
Riverside, CA
Visit site
just starting a general thread for the thing...we know it's a good pedal cause Katatonia and Opeth prove it everytime they play live...but getting the sound I want out of it might just drive me insane.

So anyone who has one lets share ideas.

Personally i've been starting with the 5150 model and working off that, have it going straight into amp with settings like the manual says...mids cranked and everything dropped. That seemed to be how Opeth had it set up, I know they didn't go throught the fx loop.

I haven't had any success going through the amps effects loop with the GT-3. A few days ago I finally decided to do something about the muddy sound I've been using for a few years. :err: I tried a lot of different settings and I think I got a decent rhytm and a pretty good lead - Much brighter at least. On both settings I used a Metalzone attached to the GT-3's effects loop. I haven't really gotten better results with the GT-3's own distortions. On the preamp I put the JC-120 and then I added some reverb. That's about it for the rhytm setting. On the lead I added some delay, equilized with one of the pre-sets and finally added a pre-set compressor to get those really long sustains. I haven't changed my strings for a long time and still the notes sound like they could go on forever. I have a Marshall Valvestate as an amp.

I have no clue how Opeth does it, but I don't think I even want the same sounds distortion wise, because I play tuned down to D and C# and what I play doesn't sound like Opeth anyway. (Well who does?) :devil:

heh well yeah I'd imagine you wouldn't really want their sound for that. I really use two different sounds..one more like In Flames and one for Opeth. I really didn't like it through the loop either but it does better straight through the amp.

interesting thing that you did, i've got a metalzone sitting around and could try it, but i really don't like the way it sounds (unless i'm playing black metal). If I was going to do that i'd just use the gt-3 in the loop and go with my amp distortion as it is VERY nice in itself but I lose the ability to do acoustic/clean parts as well, and I would have to hit two switches to make a change as opposed to one.

First was the GT-5 then came the cheaper model of that, the GT-3 which even had some enhancements from the GT-5. Both have been off production for about two years when the GT-6 came out. Here's some stats about the GT-3: http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=41

fadingessence: When I use the Metalzone in the GT-3's EXT OD/DS Send and Return, I set the level/volume pretty low on the Metalzone and in the GT-3's OD/DS. I use the GT-3's Pre-amp (for example set the level higher) and the Marshall to adjust the sound. Well the main idea is to use the Metalzone at low levels whatever other settings you use.

I also used to have that two switch problem first when I bought the Metalzone and then again when I got the GT-3. It's sometimes good to use the brain when getting into these situations. I've noticed it the hard way a couple of times. This probably doesn't apply to your situation since you get a great distortion from your amp alone. :err: