Boss GT8 or Pod XT Live

thedonutman

Nov 10, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I'm thinking of getting a floorboard type multi-fx unit for home practice, a little bit of recording and maybe the occasional gig. Which one do you guys recommend (assuming I can get them both for around the same price)?

I just bought a GT-10 and I've been pretty disappointed with its metal tones, it tends to sound way too digital when you crank up the gain. Maybe that's only an issue
with th GT-10, or maybe I haven't learned to drive it properly yet, but I'm already considering selling it for a POD.

You should also take a look at Line 6 M9 and Digitech RP1000. I'm not saying their better 'cause I haven't had the chance to test them, but dont rule them out :)

The GT series are great as fx boxes but I wouldn't use them for distortion. The POD a/d is less transparent IME (when bypassed) but the distortions are certainly better than the GT's.

I kinda relate to this thread because I own a marshal jcm900 wich is great for clean's and crunch but kinda fails on Hi gain. I'm trying to find a solution to it, my question is do you plug the pod x3 live to your poweramp (via FX return) or you plug it like you plug a guitar in the input using the tube amp to complete the sound?
What I'm trying to say is I want to keep my tube sound but I also want a more higher gain sound for some play.

If you are using it for your primary tone generation, I would probably recommend the XT Live, but if you just need it as a multi-fx unit to use with your current amp, definitely get the GT8. I sold my Pod XT Live to get the GT8 myself, because the XT Live does not have it's own FX Loop and therefore no 4-cable method to be able to use your amps distortion as well as any amp modelling going straight to the power amp. I love my GT8, for live use it is an absolute life saver.

I owned the Boss Gt3, Gt6 , Gt 8 ower the years and had the chance to listen on rehearsals my riends Pod to and I have to tell that the Pod is a better choice in my opinion if you want Hi gain preamp tones, but the FX are ok to.
So i say get the POD , if you need just FX than get the GT it s a better choice for FX.
I noticed that Thomann did not include the BOSS GT units in the Guitar Preamp section, just the POD. :)

I'm not really sure yet how gt10/8 works but so far I fell a bit in love with the rp1000 after seeing this

I haven't had the chance to test if but IF "The RP1000 is designed to be used with external amps & stompboxes. The combination of the RP1000’s Stompbox Loop, Amp Loop and Amp/Cabinet Bypass feature allows the RP1000 to integrate into your rig and not the other way around." really ends up being true it will prove to be a killer Fx processor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure yet how gt10/8 works but so far I fell a bit in love with the rp1000 after seeing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42EtqgHLeGs
I haven't had the chance to test if but IF "The RP1000 is designed to be used with external amps & stompboxes. The combination of the RP1000’s Stompbox Loop, Amp Loop and Amp/Cabinet Bypass feature allows the RP1000 to integrate into your rig and not the other way around." really ends up being true it will prove to be a killer Fx processor.

The Boss GT series were the first to do this as far as I know and this is the whole reason the XT Live is dogshit compared to even a GT5 for live use.

The Boss GT series were the first to do this as far as I know and this is the whole reason the XT Live is dogshit compared to even a GT5 for live use.

What about getting an A/B box to use with gnx 4(fx return) and some stomp pedals(amp input) I already have ? would it emulate the 4 cables method ?