Boss gt8

affinityband

Mar 12, 2005
Brackley, England
www.myspace.com
I was wondering if anyone had one of these and could tell me how it is possible to bypass the boss's distortion so i could use my amps sound? And if not then could anyone tell me how to get a decent distortion sound out of it? as ive been trying and failed.

affinityband said:
I was wondering if anyone had one of these and could tell me how it is possible to bypass the boss's distortion so i could use my amps sound? And if not then could anyone tell me how to get a decent distortion sound out of it? as ive been trying and failed.

A friend bought a GT-8 and had the same problems in the beginning. I don't know how to use the amp-distortion, but once he disabled the pre-amps in the GT-8 he was able to create far better distortion sounds.

And he did something which required a lot of cables and improved the general sound a lot, but I can't recall what exactly it was. Something that made sure that the amp wouldn't change the sound that comes out of the GT-8 further or so. Hey, I'm only the drummer... :D

affinityband said:

The problem with the boss gt 8, and it's really not much of a problem is the bombardment of EQ. It can really go both ways to getting good tone because of it. Theres an onboard EQ (The knobs on the front), A Cab emulator which is also just different variations on EQ, Two Sub EQ's, A Preamp output selection that has i think 10 or 12 settings, and a master EQ for the output. I've been using it since july when i replaced my POD XT. I've always had a GT unit in the arsenal but im finally comfortable with the sound and power of this machine. It really has lended itself greatly to recording and live use. If your patient enough with the unit, you'll get really good tones from it, It just takes time. I used it on these first two songs located here - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=316265
Also if you havent been, check out Boss gt central located here - http://www.bossgtcentral.com/ Thers alot of good resources for all the boss GT units and a forum as well. Trust me though, Don't give up on the unit, Getting great tone takes some tweaking with these, thats all. I hope this helps :)

discouraged1 said:
was it a pod xt rack?

i tried it and wanted to use external delay pedal but it didnt work; do you remember what editing do i have to do on pod xt to use send/return properly?

No it was the bean, I was using it in the studio quite a bit back then and using the GT units live through my stack. As far as all the editing i only used what was provided by the software so i wouldn't know about a live configuration, I think thats why they released the XT Live unit. They have a pretty good forum at line 6's site however and im sure someone could help you out with that :) I liked it alot for tone but i find myself always changing gear when we go to do a new album, It's like i can't help myself lol Im like the 'Monk" of dark rock lol