katatonia's sound

bleed for me

Sep 9, 2001
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
i was wondering how katatonia get that unique guitar sound like in "in death, a song", the chorus of "teargas" and all of their other songs...

so does anyone know what gear they use and what effects they use...

better yet, if you have a digitech rp200 could you tell me what settings i need on that?

thanks,
nikhil

Although I can't answer this question with any authority, I remeber reading an interview with Anders in Terrorizor which stated that apparentlyt the amps must have "warmed up" or something when they did, "Strained".

The point of this is, I don't think they really know, apart from using certain pedals or effects.

Whatever it is though, it really is amazing! :tickled:

Originally posted by requiem
Although I can't answer this question with any authority, I remeber reading an interview with Anders in Terrorizor which stated that apparentlyt the amps must have "warmed up" or something when they did, "Strained".

I read that interview, and I believe that comment was in refererence to the point made by the magazine's writer that that song had a lead guitar sound that beared close resemblance to the old Paradise Lost guitar sound that Gregor Mackintosh had. And getting that PL guitar souind was a goal of Anders' from the start.

"Even my mother points out the paradise lost thing" - My Girlfriend's comment on that . . hehehe.

I can offer a few tips, having gone through a phase where everything I played sounded like Katatoina because I was so into them... I have a Digitech Rp-12 but these are some general ideas you wanna go for if you're after the Katatonia sound...

- You need to tune your guitar to down one half step to Eb...

- For distortion, don't use alot of gain, because most of their riffs are downpicked steadily and will sound like crud if you use too much overdrive... tweak your distortion so that you can hear each note as you play it instead of a blur... go for 'clean distortion.'

- On your amp, don't use alot of treble... use quite a bit of midrange and use less bass than midrange. If you were playing something like Nevermore or Testament, then you'd want more treble and bass in your sound...

- Alot of their clean guiar is played very very dry (no effects), high-midranged, on the bridge pickup, as opposed to Paradise Lost and other guys who usually use the middle-bridge or neck-middle combinations. (Opeth is the only other band which comes to my mind that does that bridge-clean thing as well...)

- For the 'Strained' sound, any chorus pedal will do, but don't turn the level all the way up... make the signal half distortion, half chorus... also, use a triangle waveform, not a logarithmic or 'detuned' setting, that's pretty much the secret.
And if your really going for the sound, on the amp, roll off a bit of treble, use a little bass, and boost the mids.
They also use other pedals like tremolo (the 'surf' volume chopping sound, not the picking technique) and delay...

There are tons of sounds that appear on their albums, but I can throw one more trick at you guys...

The freaky distortion that appears @ 1:46 in "12" is made by maxing out the gain on your signal and palm-muting the strings.. weird!!!

I think it's cool that Anders is a metal guitarist yet he's also into effects and ambience...
Yea, he's been known to be a huge Paradise Lost advocate, in fact, he lifted the bridge riff from PL's song "Weeping Words" and used it as the intro riff to "Inside The Fall" from the 'Sounds Of Decay' E.P.
I hope this helps you guys!!

thanks alot guys....especially raven777

i didn't know about boosting the mids...most guitarists nowadays like to cut out the mids completely (dimebag)

and the gt-3 is kinda strange because hardly any bands use multi-effects pedals...usually individual pedals...

Originally posted by bleed for me
thanks alot guys....especially raven777

i didn't know about boosting the mids...most guitarists nowadays like to cut out the mids completely (dimebag)

Your welcome, dude!
You need midrange if you wanna get that lethargic, numbing yet soothing Kataonia distortion...