How do you get "that Guitar sound"

I have spent lots of time playing with different settings for the guitar sounds on Katatonia, I have figured out a few things (lead guitar) there are different guitars giving slightly different sounds, I am trying to use an Epiphone Les paul to get the sound as close as i can anyhow... My effects unit is close to the Boss effects used by Blackheim

Discouraged ones: Mainly using Delay.. not 100 percent sure on the rest so far

Tonites Decision: Delay + Phaser?? set very subtle to provide resonance

LFDGD: Similar to tonights decision?

Viva Emptyness: Different altogether, not spent so much time on this, but rhythm is achieved by dropping down to C tuning and thrashing the sound out..

I know these are very vague which is why i am posting this thread, but as a long playing guitarest I really wanted to know what others have achieved when attempting to get that fantastic sound that feels like you can't or shouldn't hear it, but is actually so clear in the mix.. :headbang:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want your guitar sound to sound like Blakkheim? I agree that he has a great sound on every cd that Katatonia has put out, but why wouldn't you want your own sound?? Katatonia and Opeth are my two favourite bands, but I really don't want to sound like them because I am not them.

Not trying to be an ass, just curious.

I honestly did want a patch with Teh Katatonia Sound because they have some unique sounds in certain songs, and my band plays those song and then we sound all goofy because the sound we produce ain't even close to it, and it simply doesn't sound as good as the real thing.
Examples are the intro of Dispossession, stuff in Evidence and Complicity, and the general distortion sound.

As mentioned before, id recommend the boss gt pedals. The gt8 is out now!
Its very hard to mimic someones sound perfectly (i never even bother trying cause my amp is terrible!) But if your playing cover songs in a band or something just try and get the right feel, if that makes sense. Even if you have similar or the same equipment it can sound totally different. I know a guy who has two of the exact same guitar and they sound really different!

Yeah my Gibson is a toy as is my Hughes & Kettner and my GT-6 :rolleyes: Stop saying random nonsense. And I'm sure they use GT distortion live, NOT dist from their amp, cos it's almost impossible to use FX from the GT and at the same time switch channels on the amp.

I was just saying that cos you seemingly can't stop making up random stuff like "go and listen to some real guitars".
And you still haven't been able to convince me about the distortion. I don't think you actually know more about it than I do, but hey, be sure to continue your funny behaviour.

Haha you're making a complete ass of yourself. I think you can't explain to me how to combine amp distortion with floor board effects.
You have to put your GT on bypass or a perfectly clean patch, and then use the amp's footswitch to use the distortion channel.... Yeaaaaaaaaah that's what they do eh :)
Kthxbye

cthulufhtagn said:
the midrange is the key, so few guitarists understand that, keeping your mids up is the only way to really cut through the mix

ya i usually up the mid and drop the bass to get over the bass guitar and double bass, make the mix less muddy. most guitarists dont know much about frequency mixing tho. most of the guys who i play with drop the mids and simple turn everything else up to full in a vague attempt to get a "death metal" sound.

The only katatonia effect iv ever tryed to achieve was the sweet nurse with the high long lead. i got it using a mix of compressor, high gain, high feedback, overdrive and a small amount of reverb, plus some messing about with the EQ. i dont really do many covers anymore tho so i havnt tryed to mimic any others.