How do you get "that Guitar sound"

Cerulean said:
I'm allright at equalizing, that's not really a problem.
BTW do you guys know that Metallica have mids at 0 and bass+treble at 10? :p

That "scooped" mids is a good sound for metal rythm, but it dosnt work for lead playing. If you raise the mids, (as already mentioned) you can "cut through" the rythm section.

the guy at the mixing desk will ultimately chop the EQ up between instruments anyway. I read that Anders has a boss Ds-01 but iv never found a way of using that pedal that i liked. and i defnitly never got a "katatonia" sound out of it :)

What appears misunderstood is why anyone wants to get that sound..

I dont' want to sound like katatonia, but its nice to learn how a sound is achieved, after all Anders attempted to get The Paradise Lost sound (from songs like Gothic).. but the way Anders plays is a lot different and hense sounds different, lots of little hammer ons and pull ofs..

but i would like to feel that sound when i play, its no different than listening to music, I could say why listen to Katatonia, why not just write your own music and not listen to anyone elses, influences are gained through an understanding of how the artist works..

by the way....

I thought the mid range was the key as well, but!!!! its not simple like that, mid range can overpower the rest of the song and make it sound very muddy, I think you'll find Anders doesn't push the mids at all, if anything, it is scooped, just because you use scooped mids doesn't mean you sound like metallica, as that is only one part of the sound..

One other thing ...

Distortion can be provided through the AMP, effect pedal or Guitar, but a Les Paul will sound completely different to a Fender Strat even with loads of distortion, Les Pauls tend to been thicker in sound, whilst Fender Strats are more glassy and vibrant, I prefer the Les Paul sound, but thats because they work better for dark heavy rock, due to the twin humbucker pickups... not saying that Fenders are not heavy, The Smashing Pumpkins wrote some heavy stuff on fenders but their sound was different entirely.. True distortion is acheived through Valves and a decent amp will have these in, lots of amps try to emulate this and some get very close, but ultimately Valves (or tubes as the americans incorrectly refer to them as) are the ones to use.

Cerulean said:
BTW do you guys know that Metallica have mids at 0 and bass+treble at 10? :p

I think this statements is true only to albums prior to 'the Black Album'. That's when Bob Rock came along and introduced the ABC of sound engineering to Metallica. Dunno what's going on with St. Anger 'tho. I've only listened to that record some 1 and a half times, maybe not even that much. But ever since the Black Album to S&M (atleast) mid-range has played a huge part in "that" Metallica sound.

And yeah, attaining a crushing sound without losing the clarity is a bitch.

This is for anders... If you havent bought it yet.. better demo the GT-8 first.

I have a gt-3 and now a Gt- 8 .. and it lost alot of tone even when programming the same patches.. it has a lot more capabilty in the preamp section, the nice delays..
but the reverb sucks and doesnt touch the gt-3 .
but, depending on what you're doing next, effect wise and the patch transitions, amp control and loop.. is great..
but over all.. I think I might sell it and put my gt-3 back on the floor.. later.