Opeth's BOSS GT6 distortion settings

Well, I think we have gotten one of our guitars to sound good. We used the preset 5150 model, as was suggested thanks, and played around with it and the placement of our mics on the amp. So one down, another guitar to go.

Moonlapse said:
I've played a Laney VH100R head and it sounded like total ass under high-gain. Not sure where the problem was...

I'm currently in the market for a new amplifier. I'm stuck with a shitty Marshall Valvestate 8080 and would like something more versatile and also something that can really complement the ME-50 pedal I use, as opposed to get in the way.

Whilst I would love to have an all-tube amp, I suppose using a digital pedal defies the whole concept. I have heard that the Hughes and Kettner Vortex Half-Stack is really really good value for money. I can't find any around here to play, but nonetheless im very interested in buying a new amp.

have you ever played one moonlapse? i have played one quietly in a guitar store...and it sounded great. but, its 100 watt evil brother the warp 7 was an absolute ballsless piece of shit. my 30 watt hondo was louder. just a thought...i don't know how much these two amps differ though.

i have a vh100r but there is a problem

the open chords are really fantastic but the rithmics are not so compressed, in the solos the sound is terrible , it's like the notes are vibrating in a strange way.

i use the drive set to 9, gain to 8.
mids are half, treble medium-high, bass medium....
i dont know the sound in the solos is just awful

i have also a gt-6 and i think i have to try to use the dist. channel fo the vh100r for a bit of gain then use the gt-6 for equalization maybe.

this amps has been rivalved with 6l6, wich are not the original tubes because actually are el84!

Does anyone find that problems with the solos with this amp??:|:Smug:

shez

i have a vh100r but there is a problem

the open chords are really fantastic but the rithmics are not so compressed, in the solos the sound is terrible , it's like the notes are vibrating in a strange way.

i use the drive set to 9, gain to 8.
mids are half, treble medium-high, bass medium....
i dont know the sound in the solos is just awful

i have also a gt-6 and i think i have to try to use the dist. channel fo the vh100r for a bit of gain then use the gt-6 for equalization maybe.

this amps has been rivalved with 6l6, wich are not the original tubes because actually are el84!

Does anyone find that problems with the solos with this amp??:|:Smug:

shez
I use also the Laney VH100R, and I actually really like it! I use it also with a GT-8, but with the "AMP Gizmo" which, connected to the GT-8 and the Laney, changes the channels of the Laney with the GT-8. I use pretty much the same settings as you do for the amp, and I like it. Solos aren't really a problem. I use the SubEQ as an FX-1, switched with the CTL switch, to add volume for the solos, and eq it a little.

My connections are :
Guitar --> Input (GT-8)
Output (GT-8) --> Return (Laney)
Send (Laney) --> Return (GT-8)
Send (GT-8) --> Input (Laney)

+ MIDI cable from MIDI Out (GT-8) --> Amp Gizmo MIDI In
+ Custom cable from Amp Gizmo to footswitch plug in back of the Laney

I use the LOOP on the GT-8, and change the FX-Chain something like this :
Footvolume -> Preamp -> Overdrive -> WAH -> LOOP -> Fx-1 -> Fx-2 -> Delay -> etc...

So with only one foot tap, I change the channel on the Laney, with the Drive on or off, with the GT-8 preset that I want, EQ that I want, etc, etc...
There is no limit with GT-8, Laney VH100R and Amp Gizmo !

I use also the Laney VH100R, and I actually really like it! I use it also with a GT-8, but with the "AMP Gizmo" which, connected to the GT-8 and the Laney, changes the channels of the Laney with the GT-8. I use pretty much the same settings as you do for the amp, and I like it. Solos aren't really a problem. I use the SubEQ as an FX-1, switched with the CTL switch, to add volume for the solos, and eq it a little.

My connections are :
Guitar --> Input (GT-8)
Output (GT-8) --> Return (Laney)
Send (Laney) --> Return (GT-8)
Send (GT-8) --> Input (Laney)

+ MIDI cable from MIDI Out (GT-8) --> Amp Gizmo MIDI In
+ Custom cable from Amp Gizmo to footswitch plug in back of the Laney

I use the LOOP on the GT-8, and change the FX-Chain something like this :
Footvolume -> Preamp -> Overdrive -> WAH -> LOOP -> Fx-1 -> Fx-2 -> Delay -> etc...

So with only one foot tap, I change the channel on the Laney, with the Drive on or off, with the GT-8 preset that I want, EQ that I want, etc, etc...
There is no limit with GT-8, Laney VH100R and Amp Gizmo !

what tubes do you use, preamp and final?

and... you mean that you use the channel b of the laney with few gain and you add distortion with the gt8?

in my amp the channel b with lots of gain is totally shit, like the notes are vibrating constantly....i have also dimarzio evolution on the bridge of my guitar...i dont know what's going on in that amp, maybe the change of tubes with 6l6 fucked up the distortion sound?

: \

I didn't change the tubes
and for the distortion, I use the Laney's pure distortion, but I don't see what you are talking about with the vibrating thing, it doesn't do it to me, unless it is very hard to hear, I never noticed that problem

If anyone needs some settings for The Drapery Falls intro part, I have something that's pretty close to it on my Boss GT-6. I'll post it here as soon as I can.

This is the closest sound I can get on my gear, it may not sound the same on yours:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Valveking 212

Amp EQ settings:
Mids: 4:30 o' clock
High:10:30 o'clock
Low: 7 (barely above 0)
Presence: 0
Resonance: 8(barely above 0)

Drapery Falls Intro Tone(for Boss GT-6):
Only things that are on are:
-Reverb(set to 75)
-Overdrive/Distortion(Metal>Heavy Metal Preset)
-Overdrive/Distortion Drive and Level set to 100
-Equalizer:
Low EQ +1 dB
Lo-Mid f 500Hz
Lo-Mid Q 2
Lo-Mid EQ +2 dB
Hi-Mid f 4.00 kHz
Hi-Mid Q 2
Hi-Mid EQ +2 dB
High EQ +2 dB
Level +2 dB
-Pedal Assign: Exp Pedal ON, Foot vol min 0

Opeth Distortion:
Only things switched on are:
-Overdrive/Distortion TYPE: Metal>Heavy Metal(type variation)
-Overdrive/Distortion Drive and Level: 100
-Reverb: 25
-Pedal Assign: Exp Pedal ON, Foot vol min 0
-MAKE SURE YOU USE RHYTHM PICKUP FOR THIS DISTORTION

Please keep in mind that these settings, when applied to your own Boss GT-6, are NOT guaranteed to sound exactly like Opeth. These settings are the results of my own tinkering around with my gear and setup, and it sounds pretty close to Opeth live for me, but with my gear. It'll probably sound different on your rig.

I based the Opeth live tone off of the Lamentations DVD/CD. Have fun with it; if I can get a MIDI sequencer, I'll try to post the patch here.

Mmmm all this talk about different sounding valve / tube amps, try some valve / tube rolling. [swapping]

If you can't find NOS Mullard EL34'S, "The Best" imo, try some JJ's EL34 or JJ KT77,

@ Moonlapse try changing the ECC81 in your 8080 for a Mullard if pos also an ECC83 will work, Never try an ECC82!!

^ You can't sub an EL84 for a 6L6, me thinks you meant EL34?

Still this Tube is electrically very different...6L6 = Beam Tetrode, EL34 = Pentode, 6L6's are more microphonic than EL34's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6L6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EL34

Hope this helps?