Does anyone know how to get an Opeth - like distortion?

mylovedenied

Dead.
Oct 10, 2004
Staten Island, NY
I'm looking at distortion pedals/amps for my guitar, and I was trying some Opeth songs - but they didn't sound right, because of the distortion. So, does anyone know how to get it, or something close?

This has been asked so many times. I don't think a straight answer has ever been given though.

Your best bet is to start with the equipment that the guys use. Namely, the Laney GH100L or VH100R and Boss GT-6.

Buy a decent guitar and amp, play, and find your own sounds. If you really want to mimic opeths sound, plan on investing tons of money on their gear and other studio equipment. I've never understood these threads... if you have a decent setup you can play just about anything and as long as you play it correctly it will 'sound like Opeth'.

well you could assume the guy hasnt been playing that long, so dont be an ass.. just help him out. i would say basically what moonlapse said, but you dont necessarily need a laney, just any amp with good mids and warm, dark distortion.

They used to use Marshall (JCM800) amps,and Marshall amps have a unique tone,so that will help. Any humbucking guitar with decent pickups will work, Mike and Peter currently utilise Seymour Duncan Full Shred pickups in their guitars.

As for distortion, it doesn't have to be a Boss GT-6. I use a Boss DS-1 Distortion and it works fine. Word of advice though, don't use too much gain, and don't "scoop the mids" (lowering the midrange of an amp's EQ and increasing treble and bass).

Hope that cleared some

I would start with quite a naturally bassy guitar with humbuckers. You need a sustainant and defined lead sound with a hint of reverb or echo. A boss metal zone will get you there in terms of style, but like many you may not enjoy certain characteristics of it's sound, but used with a tube amp with good clean tone, would be ok.

I've had reccommendations including a 'Hughes and Kettner' 'Warp Factor', but I haven't tried one.

If you are going to use a distortion pedal one of the most important things is a good amp, as this accounts for a large percentage of your sound - and you might even find one with ideal distortion channels.

I use the DS-1 emulation on my Boss ME-50 and as Jaideep said, that works fine.

Emulating Opeth's live tone to their studio tone is a completely different matter though. You essentially can't emulate the sound you hear on the albums (well enough anyway) but you *can* emulate their live sound.

Just get a Fender Strat, string it with GHS boomers, tune down to B, run it through a flanger and a Line 6 cab set to a Jazz amp, turn off your bass, and crank up that treble.

Trust me.

Jinn said:
Just get a Fender Strat, string it with GHS boomers, tune down to B, run it through a flanger and a Line 6 cab set to a Jazz amp, turn off your bass, and crank up that treble.

Trust me.

that gets you an opeth sound? if that can, then anything can. what line 6 do you have...i have an older flextone II, they are voiced dark and smooth like opeth's tone, so i can see how that would work.

JoeVice said:
that gets you an opeth sound? if that can, then anything can. what line 6 do you have...i have an older flextone II, they are voiced dark and smooth like opeth's tone, so i can see how that would work.

Dude... I was kidding.

Honestly, I think that most would recognize that after I advised to tune down. [opeth uses normal tuning]
Besided that, they don't use a flanger.... Jesus...

Jinn said:
Dude... I was kidding.

Honestly, I think that most would recognize that after I advised to tune down. [opeth uses normal tuning]
Besided that, they don't use a flanger.... Jesus...

not on demon of di fall :dopey:

Speaking of tone, does anyone know how to get the guitar tone used during the solo in December Flower by In Flames? That solo rips my sack off and I love the tone.

BurningSky said:
Speaking of tone, does anyone know how to get the guitar tone used during the solo in December Flower by In Flames? That solo rips my sack off and I love the tone.

the whole tone on that album is incredible. i love it, but no, i don't know how to achieve it haha.