Bought the Harley Benton Vintage cab

I bought the harley benton cab, vintage version.
I reamped an old project with my dual rectifier and the harley benton, here's a clip.
For 379 euros (included shipping) I think is a very good cab.
The only bad thing, and it's not something so bad, it is the assembly, the people at the factory didn't pay too much attention.
The screws on the speakers were not tighten really that much, and the man who assembled my cab has lost this near the cone so the cab was producing a very bad buzz. At first I thought I bought a bad cab but it was just that shit near the magnet of the cone producing the buzz.
Anyway real Vintage 30's (8ohm version) and that's plywood not birch plywood as marshall's.
Some pics
100_0936.jpg

100_0942.jpg

100_0937.jpg

100_0931.jpg

Sounds good to me! Guitars do sound a touch out of tune, though, on the lower chords.

That said, Marshall's are plywood, too. Hell, Mesa is, as well. It's just really good quality - usually 13ply voidless birch-ply.

DSS3 said:
Sounds good to me! Guitars do sound a touch out of tune, though, on the lower chords.

Yep, it was a session for free so I didn't fixed anything, it was the same session I posted a while back.

DSS3 said:
That said, Marshall's are plywood, too. Hell, Mesa is, as well. It's just really good quality - usually 13ply voidless birch-ply.

Sorry I meant the benton is not chipboard, it's plywood as the others.

i´m happy to know that. My band ordered two cabs of those. We ordered Vat Free so it´s 300 euros each. I think it will be great quality considering the price.

Anyway I had to buy another cab because the guitarist of other band that shares with us the rehearsal space has bought a new cab and he doesn't want to loan me that one, fuck that fag....
I still have my trusty marshall at home, the best cab after mesa standard.
If I had the money I'd buy the mesa, maybe not the oversized, too big to carry around, the standard would be the right choice.

mesa cabs are sooo ridiculously priced in europe...not trying to bash them here because they're good stuff, but i can't see why anyone would pay that price

those new black cabs from orange are sexy...they're expensive here tho

cobrahead1030 said:
mesa cabs are sooo ridiculously priced in europe...not trying to bash them here because they're good stuff, but i can't see why anyone would pay that price

Yep ridiculously overpriced, anyway if the mesa standard costs 1100 euros here, the engl is not so cheap... 900 euros.
Even engl cabs are a little bit expensive.

cobrahead1030 said:
those new black cabs from orange are sexy...they're expensive here tho

I have to check them out!

nwright said:
Aren't these made by the same people who make Framus cabs? It looks indentical inside to me.

i had a straight dragon cab, the outside is pretty much the same also,
apart from the covering and logo.

I have never really got this, but What makes a cab good, besides from the speakers? What makes a good construction? And is it possible to reinforce a poorly built cab?

kaomao said:
I have to check them out!

i'm sure it's different depending on where you buy them, but the general concecus is that orange and framus cabs seem to be the best cabs for the $$$ in europe

but the USD v.s. euro rate changes so frequently, it's really hard to compare the costs of here and there

Polpotkin said:
I have never really got this, but What makes a cab good, besides from the speakers? What makes a good construction? And is it possible to reinforce a poorly built cab?

it's much like what makes a guitar good

-first off is the grade of wood they use; most good cabs use high quality void free birch (void free meaning there's no gaps in the plys from bad spoots in the wood, etc.) cheaper cabs are gonna use cheaper plywood, or sometimes mdf, particle board, or some other composite based stuff...most people tend to prefer the tone of a good birch ply cab

-construction is another big thing; a good cab is gonna have VERY precise cuts in the wood, which is gonna join together very tightly to have the best resonance/projection possible...there are many different methods of joining the wood pieces together; a cheaper cab isn't likely to be cut as well from the beginning which generally doesn't have a great effect on the overall tone

-wires, jacks, etc. also play a part; you usually want some nice and sturdy ones

-speakers is another big thing...most good cabs come with good speakers, but what speakers work for the individual is a matter of personal preference

i used to think that all cabs were pretty much the same, after owning some relaly good ones tho and seeing what goes into building them v.s. the corners that other companies cut...i realize how wrong i was

hope this helps

say I have a pretty cheap cab, can I try to use silicone (or something) along every side to "insulate" the cab? Would that make any difference in the sound?