Bouncing/Consolidating in Sonar

Grave Desire

Mar 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Had a quick question for you guys and wanted to know if anyone could help me here.

I have to go to a friend of mine's house tomorrow and get files he recorded in sonar to import into pro tools to mix for them.

I asked him to consolidate/bounce the files all to the same length so they will line up in protools and he's lost...

I've never used Sonar before but I will be tomorrow and I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out with how to do that.

Is there a bounce/consolidate option? Like I said earlier I just need all of the tracks to each be consolidated to a mono file the all being the same length.

thanks in advance!

Uh, someone correct me if I am wrong, but he can export each track as individual wave files. Maybe take notes on clips, or mixdown entire mix along with individual tracks, and line up the clips to the entire mix in pt.

yea i know in protools i think you would just have to export/bounce each track individually and if you start each bounce from the beginning of the track then all your bounces will line up on start.

I only know protools some but shit while I'm asking is there any other way in protools quicker than what i mentioned or do i have that right??

Yes there is:

File -> Export -> Audio

Change 'Source Category' to 'Tracks', then in the 'Source Buses/Tracks' window select all the tracks you want - by default it selects all of them.

Slightly annoyingly (in Sonar 5 at least), you have to put something in the name box or it won't export. I normally just put in a '-'; that'll export the tracks with names something like "--guitar left-3", where 'guitar left' is the channel name and '3' is the channel number. Hope that helps man!

Steve

now doing that in protools will that export each file so they all will line up to the same starting point? I think it would be hard to figure out like were things that small sections in the middle of the song would have to go!

If you have a short, single clip on a track in Sonar, such as a guiatar lead, you can stretch the clip to the start of the song, and it's lined up. Use non destructive editing in Sonar. When you get the clips to tools, you can edit the nonsense out.:) You want to highlight the track you want, and select tracks when exporting. And yeah, you want to name em.