brand new movie thread

-Goodbye Lenin - Very nice, if similar in content as Underground
-Clerks original cut - not sure why exactly I rented this, but it was cool to see this again
-Manchurian Candidate - interesting take on the classic. Certainly not a botched remake like we always see, or just about.
-Walk the Line - Interesting and well done.

Harry Potter 4 = by far the best Potter movie. Was pretty disappointed in the others but was pleasantly surprised with this installment. Kept me quite entertained and unlike the others did a good job of paring down the book to make it fit into a movie.

is goodbye lenin the one about the dude who pretends that east germany is still communist to protect his mother or something?

i think i'm seeing "rent" on wednesday and harry potter on perhaps friday.

Yes Alex, it is exactly that. His mother has a stroke goes into coma for years and wakes after the reunification. He tries to protect her from shock by pretending east germany still exists.

I saw Goodbye Lenin a couple of years ago in German class. Is there a dubbed version or was it just subtitled? I'm sure I didn't get as much out of it as I could have since I'm by no means fluent in German, but from what I understood/remember, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Corporation: good, but a bit long. The bonus stuff was weak, tho. I don't understand how they can say they were trying to potray both sides when the doc was so obviously biased. I have no problem with said bias, just own up to it.

AC/DC - Family Jewels, disc one
All Bon Scott, totally awesome.

Family Guy - Untold story or whatever it's called.
Meh, not so hot. Not terrible, but not as good as I'd hoped for.

martin - for whatever reason i avoided this for a while, and now i see the mistake in that.

beyond great in ways that people that don't "get" what bleakness is won't get out of this particular bleakness, everything from complete personal alienation to the way pittsburgh is portrayed. housewives with nothing better to do than commit suicide, broken marraiges, burned down churches and negative lifestyles. i do believe martin was a vampire or something along those lines and what got me woozy was considering how it must feel to be like that, and without the traditional social network of vampires or power that make vampiros cool to idiots... like, a total alien creature with nowhere to go and no one to tell except a late-night talk show host who doesn't give a shit. i guess that works if he was just a psychosexual deviant, too. mr amplas does an incredible job of conveying something not human through facial expressions alone and i seriously can't argue against romero being a flawed genius, which makes him a likeable and interesting genius. the ideas contained here and the style (the flashbacks?) stacked on top of NOTLD/DOTD erase all future transgressions.

has anyone seen SEASON OF THE WITCH and should i prioritize it?

a few weeks ago i watched deathdream, which is totally similar in a bunch of ways... avoided it for years, same sort of alienation and bleakness and low-budget brilliance. both tap into the post-vietnam junkie sociotype albeit deathdream does it a little bit crudely. richard backus does almost as well as amplas in his otherworldly acting skills, more evil than haunting, and the ending is totally apeshit. spoiler: and sad, as the zombie frantically tries to bury itself in the grave it dug, w/ it's mom watching and sobbing. :((

i would also say the director of DD is a genius in his own right: bob clark, who also directed PORKY'S, A CHRISTMAS STORY, BLACK CHRISTMAS and TURK182!

Last really good movie I saw was The Barbarian Invasions (Invasions barbares, Les). It won the Oscar for best foreign language film in 2003. It deals with death in a refreshing way, totally realistic and lacking all the phony sentiments I see so often in films. The story basically revolves around this man in his sixties who's slowly dying from cancer. This man hasn't excacly been living his life like a saint, but his family and friends spend time with him in his last moments, despite his past endeavors.

gekko said:
Harry Potter 4 = by far the best Potter movie. Was pretty disappointed in the others but was pleasantly surprised with this installment. Kept me quite entertained and unlike the others did a good job of paring down the book to make it fit into a movie.

I also think it is the best HP movie so far, although I'd rather reread the book anyday. 4 > 6 > 3 > 2 >5 > 1

saw natural born killers last night. very original, and surprising for an oliver stone film. half the film felt like it was shot in "drunk cameraman mode" - surely it had a significant influence on fear and loathing... for that reason it also felt a bit rusty, as i couldn't help comparing things like the boxy face distortion techniques used with the far superior warping effects in fear and loathing.

The Grand Illusion. Took a bit to get into it, but I enjoyed it quite a lot by the end.

The Ice Storm. As semi-dark dramas go, it was very very good.