Brave Murder May Bracket B: Voting/Evisceration

I would contend that a hospital waiting room has things to look at as well
thumbed 2018 issues of a variety of women's interest magazines with the crosswords already filled out;

a coffee machine with the front graphics (a fading stock photo of a steaming hot cup of joe resting on a mountain of freshly roasted coffee beans, garnished with an early-2000s "swoosh" graphic and "Café" written in a WINWORD.EXE stock script font) illuminated by a flickering, buzzing fluorescent lamp;

a sad, potted aspidistra with leaves browning around the edges:

the slechtvalk experience

Last edited:
Should we put a "CAP" on black metal offerings for next bracket? I want everyone (Erik/Ken) to actually enjoy this, and I for one am not beholden to just BM offerings.

1 BM offering per person should really up the variety.

We could also put a cap on length.

If not, I'm nominating Midnight Odyssey's "Shards of Silver Fade" at 142 minutes!

personally i was up for this when the concept was "post THE VERY BEST, THE CREME-DE-LA-CREME, MAXIMUM OF 5 ALBUMS PER DUDE from the 2010's" but now that it's "post albums you can sort of remember existing from 2008-2021" i don't know that i will be voting in the expansion brackets

absolutely not tryin to harsh on anyone's vibe, i think you're doing a cool thing jerry, i just don't think it's for me anymore because honestly i don't like most of this music and i don't want to commit to listening to all of it

Reactions: Ellestin
eh, i think once all settles down and the albums are picked, the lists will be whittled down to a manageable level.

i will even nominate a goth album for you

personally i was up for this when the concept was "post THE VERY BEST, THE CREME-DE-LA-CREME, MAXIMUM OF 5 ALBUMS PER DUDE from the 2010's"

The problem rests with that fact that no way in Goat Penis are half of the albums (maybe even 3/4ths) "The Very Best, The Creme-Da-La-Creme."

I dont think this forum spent most the past decade trying to discover what the best was. Thats what this exercise will unravel, (Hopefully)

In all candor, I don't really understand how this most basic and manageable of rules was impossible to implement in the first place.

But I'll keep playing along as long as the roster doesn't inflate beyond 64 starters...

Well lets conclude it then with 64. Since Nad, Ellestin, and Einride, all seem to be done with it. DarkGift disappeared leaving us with Vola, Max didnt vote last time, and Ken had to drag Swizzle back from FB to cast his.

No point continuing when only 3-4 people are enthusiastic over it. My take is that this tourney could pump some life into this corpse forum and keep it going at least for a small stint until we all lose interest. Especially considering that if one happens to post a reco thread one is lucky to get 1-2 replies. Yea I honestly dont even know. Like Ive said before, "What are we all doing here?" That goes for the forum and the tourney. I'm not here for pen pals, no offense, as great as you cats come off. Maybe it's a small flame of nostalgia that with a little elbow grease and some attentiveness, this forum could be somewhat respectable and alive as it once was. I'll post the remaining 32 come July and we'll wrap it up.

Just dont post any threads in 2022 entitled, "Where is everyone?"

Reactions: Doom and Ellestin
OK, coming through to respect the deadline. No write-ups for the last six albums, but I've listened enough to cast my votes.

Torture Chain: 50 monthly listeners on Spotify and just a handful of songs with over a 1000 plays on Spotify. Getting into very obscure territory here. Same goes for the music - grisly and dark stuff. Don't know if I dig the pitchshifter (??)/reverb (??)/EQ tweakamabob going on at times, but overall, this makes me think of Beherit meets slightly more melodic black metal meets dirty death metal, which is cool. Ditch the keyboards (not talking about the interludes, they're sweet enough), and it'd be even cooler. Edit: "Chaos at Feast / The Ascent of Deimos" is a fantastic track, and I'm starting to really like this release.

Nokturnal Mortum: Heard this a few times before. I'm not too into mid-tempo, sometimes trudging, epic black/viking/"oooh, ethnic stuff" metal anymore. Some of the faster parts are killer, but I find myself getting bored with a lot of the overly epic stuff. I bet der Führer would've hated the excessive use of poppy ethnic keys and strings.

Verdict: I gotta hand a surprise victory to the unknown entity Torture Chain. The last couple of songs on that record were stellar.

Ultra Silvam: Heard it a handful of times before. Noticed that it was hyped when it came out, which gave me extremely high hopes that were only partially fulfilled. Don't get me wrong, though, this is good stuff. The main riffs in "Birth of a Mountain" and "A Skull Full of Stars" are absolutely fantastic, and the heights they sometimes reach are impressive.

Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult: I always thought this was a joke/parody band, which made me steer clear of them. I must obviously have been confusing them with a different band [EDIT: I was, I was confusing them with Impaled Northern Moonforest], as we're dealing with straightforward, standard black metal here. And that's pretty much what this is. Standard. It's not bad, but most of the riffs aren't really that interesting, I guess?

Verdict: Ultra Silvam.

Mystras: One of the few albums that have actually annoyed me in this tournament. I'm not opposed to NECRO sounding production, hell, I even enjoy some SORT VOKTER now and then, but this is simply piss. The drums sound like they've been programmed on a "MY FIRST SYNTHESIZER" toy, and the mix is utterly preposterous (and purposely so). The jolly outtakes from the bedroom Lord of the Rings OST attempt can fuck right off as well. You can shove your conquered and subsequently reclaimed castles up your shitehole, mate.

Vektor: This is rocking. Even the fuckin' >10 minute song managed to not be boring, which is a feat rarely accomplished. I don't understand how this has not come to my attention before. Very decent stuff going on here.

Vedict: Vektor.

Hällas: I find myself enjoying some of the melodies and some of the pop-rockin', synth-wavin' grooves. Not something I normally would listen to, but I see the appeal. This is something that my go-to metal/rock pub KNIVEN (EN: "The Knife", named after the weapon used when the owner of the pub was almost killed in a random act of blind violence) would love to put on in the early bar hours. Pleasant music for some IPA sippin', but it stops there for me.

Nile: Far from my favourite Nile record, but I prefer it to the pleasant, mild-mannered journey that Hällas invited me on.

Verdict: Nile.

Acid Witch: I'm thinking Macabre meets Ghoul in a sludgy, mid-tempo pumpin' affair. This is alright, if slightly* gimmicky. Too bad it had to come up against one of my absolutely favourite nominations (which also happens to be my own hehe). Edit: After listening to this again, I find myself more irritated than entertained.
*= extremely

Archgoat: Yeah, this is simply ruthless in its approach, and the "Right Hand Path" side is close to flawless. Dirty as hell and full of fuckin' fantastic black/death riffs. Yes, Jerry, it IS possible to have this as one of one's favourite records of the last decade.

Verdict: Archgoat.

Between the Buried & Me: I believe these guys started off as a metalcore-ish type band with slightly harsher vocals, and now they're pushing some sweet boundaries. Eh, I dunno, it's extremely impressive in a way, but can I see myself rockin' out to this on the regular? I'm not entirely sure.

Slechtvalk: Cookie cutter, but they churn out the odd decent riff nevertheless. "Desolate" is a fine track, especially when they flirt with the D-beat. Run-of-the-mill, but another case of "a genre I like done in a mediocre manner vs. a genre I don't understand/I'm not into done extremely well", and this time the former won.

Verdict: Slechtvalk.

Blood Incantation: I find'em overrated TBH. Mr. Fancypants meets Mithras/Nocturnus with a subtle nod to Incantation, but it doesn't really grab hold of me that much.

Sabbat: Yes! Hellrockin', D-beating, thrashing, riffing shit that is simply fun and exciting. Finally some bangers & mash-style RIFF MUSIC.

Verdict: Sabbat.

Thy Darkened Shade: I initially thought that this was going to be yet another extremely formulaic and cookie cutter affair, but this is much more interesting than I thought it would be. Some of the riffing going on in songs like "Revival Through Arcane Skins" prompted me to go ahead and slightly tap my hand in a rhythmic fashion, which then evolved into pure and unabashed head-nodding action. Seriously, though, this is some really, REALLY good shit. I expected crappy melo-black - this is far from it. Technical, but still catchy, and extremely intriguing. A big thank you to whoever nominated this one.

Lake of Blood: Urgh, this is pretty killer as well. Slightly more on the droning, atmospheric side when it comes to the black metal magick (C) riffing, but still very rocking. I actually really like this one - fucking fantastic drummer and drum production as well. This could have won several duels in this tournament, but Thy Darkened Shade edges it slightly.

Verdict: Thy Darkened Shade.

Black Magick SS: Not what I expected at all. This psychedelic rock orchestra isn't really to my liking. Too much clownish synth work going on, and too soft for me.

Ofermod: I think this is really cool, which is why I nominated it. Some might find it a tad pretentious, which would be fair, but I can't resist this downright filthy and rifftastic piece of action.

Verdict: Ofermod.

Vemod: I enjoy this one. Fine black metal affair with ice cold atmosphere en masse. Slightly weird mixing, with the right channel sounding a bit off at times, but still a pleasant ride.

Funeral Mist: For a fan of Wormwood era Marduk, it's very difficult to resist the appeal of this rocking festival of hellish riffs. Great work by Mortuus/Arioch.

Verdict: Funeral Mist.

Obsequiae: What's this weird but yet intriguing business? It's like someone put black metal and cheesy NWOBHM riffing in a blender, and sprinkled medieval spices on top of this bizarre and cool mixture. I like it. Cool record.

Elder: Very groovy. I've been checking out more stoner rock lately, but hadn't been exposed to this one. Glad that this was nominated, as this is really good. Some really cool lead work and very rocking riffs. This makes the duel really damn hard, actually.

Verdict: Very difficult choice, but going for Obsequiae.

Summoning: Too much mid-tempo cheese, sometimes bordering on absurd jollyfolky tendencies. Hell, the title track is downright danceable at times.

Alcest: I've slept on these guys a bit. I like the atmosphere goin' on 'round these parts. Pleasantly surprising.

Verdict: Alcest.

Ihsahn: Ihsahn turning the artsy-fartsy button to 11. For a guy who thought IX Equilibrium and Prometheus were a bit much, this obviously doesn't appeal that much.

Taake: A fantastic black metal album in my book. Even the gimmicky banjo solo works for me.

Verdict: Taake.

Daughters vs. Panegyrist: Panegyrist.
Dead Congregation vs. Stargazer: Dead Congregation.
Kayo Dot vs. Vola: Kayo Dot.

99d00948fb41adc2a468159f2e64e089.gif

Reactions: einride
Thy Darkened Shade: I initially thought that this was going to be yet another extremely formulaic and cookie cutter affair, but this is much more interesting than I thought it would be. Some of the riffing going on in songs like "Revival Through Arcane Skins" prompted me to go ahead and slightly tap my hand in a rhythmic fashion, which then evolved into pure and unabashed head-nodding action. Seriously, though, this is some really, REALLY good shit. I expected crappy melo-black - this is far from it. Technical, but still catchy, and extremely intriguing. A big thank you to whoever nominated this one.

Lake of Blood: Urgh, this is pretty killer as well. Slightly more on the droning, atmospheric side when it comes to the black metal magick (C) riffing, but still very rocking. I actually really like this one - fucking fantastic drummer and drum production as well. This could have won several duels in this tournament, but Thy Darkened Shade edges it slightly.

You're welcome to both--:heh: TDS should go far

Reactions: Henrik Main