Breaking down the magic castles

They worked their asses off that's for sure and not just on the actual recording process but also getting the absolute best performances from them. Remember one of the first ideas Kirk had for the unforgiven solo? lol painful to listen to, Bob Rock pushed him til he created the best solo on the album, imo.

Sadly, even though it is his best solo on the album, it's still mediocre :erk:
James is a WAY better soloist than Kirk.
The Nothing Else Matters solo is tasty as fuck and it's a shame he never played more solos than he did, because his sense for tasteful solos is way better than Kirk's.

They worked their asses off that's for sure and not just on the actual recording process but also getting the absolute best performances from them. Remember one of the first ideas Kirk had for the unforgiven solo? lol painful to listen to, Bob Rock pushed him til he created the best solo on the album, imo.

That was a funny scene but if I'm not mistaken, the first solo was actually derivative of something Bob sort of laid out for him to practice. That's why Kirk says "Hey man I do my homework" when he was on the spot. Then when when he tells Bob let me try something else he does the solo you hear on the album and the solo just locks in and goes some where.

Sadly, even though it is his best solo on the album, it's still mediocre
The Nothing Else Matters solo is tasty as fuck and it's a shame he never played more solos than he did, because his sense for tasteful solos is way better than Kirk's.

That's too often the case with rhythm/lead guitarist duos. The guy with less soloing 'chops' is forced to actually think about his contribution contextually and tastefully, usually leading to a better piece.

One huge exception here is Scar Symmetry though.

Sadly, even though it is his best solo on the album, it's still mediocre :erk:

I must agree James has more feeling in his soloing. Think Master of Puppets interlude, last last solo on One. Melodic line in To Live is to die, etc..