Breaking into new turf

Doodoobubbachuck

Maidens' drums
Aug 2, 2002
theironmaidens.com
Hey! Anyone going to the Lighthouse this Saturday!?!?! Our first gig in the good ol' South Bay! My old stomping grounds! Growing up in the South Bay we used to always go hang out at Hermosa Beach cuz that's where all the long hairs were! Come and enjoy classic Iron Maiden tunes down at the beach! We'll be doing 2 45 minute sets!!! AND....we'll be adding a NEW TUNE to one of the sets! :D Hope to see some of you there!

You won't. That's my backyard, too. Maybe this time I'll be more sociable. I've always hung near the back at clubs, and watching that footage of the Great White show isn't going to change that habit any time soon.

Doodoobubbachuck said:
Hey! Anyone going to the Lighthouse this Saturday!? Our first gig in the good ol' South Bay! My old stomping grounds! Growing up in the South Bay we used to always go hang out at Hermosa Beach cuz that's where all the long hairs were!

Wow... me too. Remember these clubs?

Frogs: Had some of the best times playing there.

Fashions: Pure Rock Sundays... I'll never forget the free BulletBoys Halloween concerts - 3 nights in a row. I was a bad boy that weekend!

Red Onion: Enough said!

Waters Club? Too far south...

Linda thanks for bringing back those memories. I'm not going to the LightHouse... but I will be at the 14Below show.

Fashions~ I was trying to remember that club in Redondo. Remember Toxic Undershorts? Rob the drummer is an old friend of mine.
Frogs~ It used to be a country&western club b4 they installed all those long shiny poles! My friend got her first tatoo there~yikes! and that mural :yuk:
Red Onion~ they stole my fake ID!
Waters~ home of one of my first shows in which I played entirely in the key of "Q". what a weird club. all ages, but split down the middle with a long fence thingy to "keep them separated"
the Rain Tree~ they stole my bassists fake ID and wouldn't let us play that night. we were going to open up for Phantom Blue too :(

I have some pics of me playin' the Lighthouse and Frogs back in 93 on my webpage
http://www.sarabaracuda.com/bandit.htm
Ah, the memories!

MiniMurray said:
Fashions~ I was trying to remember that club in Redondo. Remember Toxic Undershorts? Rob the drummer is an old friend of mine.
Frogs~ It used to be a country&western club b4 they installed all those long shiny poles! My friend got her first tatoo there~yikes! and that mural :yuk:
Red Onion~ they stole my fake ID!
Waters~ home of one of my first shows in which I played entirely in the key of "Q". what a weird club. all ages, but split down the middle with a long fence thingy to "keep them separated"
the Rain Tree~ they stole my bassists fake ID and wouldn't let us play that night. we were going to open up for Phantom Blue too :(

I have some pics of me playin' the Lighthouse and Frogs back in 93 on my webpage
http://www.sarabaracuda.com/bandit.htm
Ah, the memories!
No doubt, I definately remember all those places. Also I saw some good shows at a little crappy dive Jezebel's in Anaheim. I remember seeing King's X there on tour for their 1st album, also saw Tony MacAlpine, and Danzig on his 1st solo tour (evil stuff, all 5 feet of him). Looking back its no wonder the Metal scene in LA died off and went underground with yuppie places like the Red Onion involved. :puke: Wasn't the Waters club in San Pedro? If so I had the misfortune of seeing Warrant play there in like 1988 (I could hardly tolerate 3 songs). Worst band ever! I left since I was only really there to support a friends band who opened and saw Tawn Mastrey who was also walking out and she asked why I was leaving. I said, "Do you really have to ask that?" I reminded her that she too was leaving.

Will be up in the LA area Saturday and gonna try to make it over to Hermosa for my 6th Maidens show. Thanks Linda, you inspired me to join the messageboard finally. It was cool to rap with you and some of the other Maidens after the last Kozmos show.

Speaking of Jezebel's--saw Accept there on the Eat the Heat tour around 1990, in Wolf Hoffmann's spitting distance. Although Wolf's guitar was always incredible, seeing Accept without Udo was kinda like seeing Maiden without Bruce.--That sucked.
The Palace in Hollywood, mid-late 90's. Thought it was all over for Maiden after that show. Small venue. Just a few of us fans were hanging around outside afterward when Steve Harris (Steve Harris!!!) came out and signed a few autographs. Then he walked over to the parking lot, jumped in an Astrovan and drove off. A FAR cry from the limo days...
But Maiden and Bruce came back to kick ass all over again!
And, lucky us, now we're also blessed with The Iron Maidens! Thanks for the great music ladies! :headbang:

Damm, I remember playing those clubs when I was only 21-22 years old -the Waters, Jezebel's, the Woodstock, Radio City, Concert Factory, Gazzarri's, etc. Who remembers Joshua's, which later became the Marquee?

And what about those KNAC nights at Red Onion (Fullerton, Lakewood, Woodland Hills). I won quite a few "drum-offs" at those only because I was the only drummer who didn't get drunk before the contest!

MiniMurray said:
Remember Toxic Undershorts? Rob the drummer is an old friend of mine. Frogs~ that mural :yuk:

I yeah I remember Toxic Undershorts... that was Dangerous Darren's band right? I also saw them at California Dreams. HA HA HA... the Mural! It was really bad... it had all these dead rockstars looking down at the stage. I have pictures with that mural in the background.

MiniMurray said:
Waters~ home of one of my first shows in which I played entirely in the key of "Q". what a weird club. all ages, but split down the middle with a long fence thingy

That fence was goofy... I loved the water falls though. The key of Q... in the dark clubs (like Kozmos) when I can't see my neck... it's my fave.

MiniMurray said:

Classic pictures mini-M... you know come to think of it. I might have seen Bandit? It's all coming back...

ROTLD said:
I saw some good shows at a little crappy dive Jezebel's in Anaheim. I remember seeing King's X there on tour for their 1st album
I was at that show! One of my all time favorite concerts. That's the night I became a devout KX worshiper. It was a magical night.... even the band has said so, in interviews and such. There were all these musicians in the crowd. The Bangles, Mr. Big, Fates Warning, Kingdom Come, & some actors types too. I had just moved here and I was all starstruck. That was for their second release "Gretchen"... unless they also played there for "Silent Planet". I think Masters of Reality opened that show. Amazing night....

Oh man, the memories. I remember seeing Paul DiAnno's Battlezone in the mid-late 80's at Jezabels. I saw Saxon there too. I remember going to Jashua's and Gazzarri's as well (and that Gazzarri radio commercial where he'd always say "The same place where the Doors & Van Halen started." One gig I wished I would have made was at Jezabels when Megadeth was playing (mid 80's) plus a special guest. The next day I found out that the special guest was Metallica! Damn, I was pissed!!!

Hey CrankYanker! Good to see ya on the boards!
The Marquee is now a strip club! The Waters Club.....Dancing Waters. There is not much of a South Bay scene any more, perhaps this is the beginning of a new era?

Doodoobubbachuck said:
Hey CrankYanker! Good to see ya on the boards!
QUOTE]
Thanks Doodoobubbachuck! Looking forward to an excellent show tonite! Toca la bateria! Or kick ass, whichever you prefer!
Keyser - I agree with your call on Futureal. We all gotta be happy that metal's most gifted songwriter didn't lose his 'writing hand' when the band lost it's Big Toe.

frogs is now another crappy furniture store. i live 4 blocks from there. Lawndale has more crappy furniture stores than any other kind of business and ive never seen customers in any of um.

jezebels, they lost there liscense for serveing alcohol to minors and getting caught to many times.

waters-remember when the fountain quit working and the whole place stank like moldy water? ron nagby used to do the booking there when they used to have cool bands-like ARMORED SAINT! last i heard ron is still in prison for embezelling!

Gazzari's... Bill was truely THEE unsung hero of the l.a. metal scene in the 80's. he was a well respected businessman in Hollywood who knew how to talk to people whether they were young or old or rich or poor. he treated people like he thought they deserved to be treated. he liked hanging out with the kids and smokeing and drinking and being pervy with girls young enough to be his grandaughters and when businessmen with more affluent clientele would try to close down the clubs unlike the other club owners he wasnt intimidated by expensive lawyers. anything came up that threatened the clubs and Bill would talk to his friends who had business in hollywood for decades and remind them of the dump hollywood had become until the metal kids started filling the clubs and the tshirt and gear stores started popping up in the old long closed shops. unfortunately he is probably better remember as the club owner who started pay to play, but when Bill died the l.a. rock club scene died with him. without Bill the 80's wouldnt have been such a prosperous time for music and instead of any of the revitaliseing thats been going on in hollywood, after weho split the city would probably have become office buildings. he was a great man...

luckily things are starting to come around again and there are people like the MAIDENS who are willing to play shows places poor old fucks like me can actually get to and afford the admission.

GOD BLESS YA, and see ya in an hour!!!

I remember reading after Gazzarri died that Axl Rose and Ron Jeremy were the only people at his wake. Kinda sad.

ron could of just showed some of his work-even a deadman would try to avoid haveing to watch an ugly pig...

far as only those 2 it sounds like it would have to be a bs story, but... i dont rember any of the details but i remember hearing the reason gazzari's sat boarded up so long was they couldnt find any of his heirs-it might actually be true...