brexit

Farage is not a great speaker. I live here. I hear him all the time. You daft foreign fanboys are wrong.

He is good and I think he's used some of the patterns in Hitler's speech as a model. I remember having both of them open on youtube and the comparison with one particular set of speeches was obvious.

Is there any good footage of Obama in a serious debate where people are able to interrupt him? I don't value public speaking ability highly (supposedly Thomas Jefferson had a horrible stutter and never would have made it into 21st century politics), but Farage seems like a guy that genuinely enjoys arguing and has no problem laughing off insults. Like, he could probably do political radio or television professionally and have no problem. I think being a mainline politician actually kills one's ability to talk and reason spontaneously because you always have to be self-conscious and ensure you don't offend anyone, and a guy that is (was?) on the UK's fringe like Farage obviously doesn't have to worry about that.

EDIT: Decided to Google 'obama greatest speech' and got one titled "Don't Tell Me Words Don't Matter--Obama's BEST speech YET!" from his 2008 campaign; very funny in retrospect considering his display of butthurt a couple weeks ago over how "Islamic terrorism" is just another set of words and that his hesitance to use them doesn't mean anything.

I will admit he had good charisma/fire early in his campaigning, but so what?

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Apparently the words "reduce", "risk", and "regular" are all being misunderstood.

Lmao, sounds like lawyers from some ivy league school playing a prank or something. No one is dumb enough to take labels that literally.

Also even if it "reduces the risk of dehydration" for a short time, it still reduces the risk of dehydration overall by a small amount. You have a finite life, part of that finite life now has a reduced risk of dehydration after consuming that water bottle.

I agree, but I think there's also the concern that some people may have taken advantage of the ambiguity of the label. Someone's relative dies of dehydration after drinking a few sips of bottled water, and that person cries "You said drinking this would prevent dehydration!" Give people the slightest inch...

Farage's ability to debate, take heat, laugh it off etc is very much a product of British style politics, whereas American politicians rarely debate, rarely have their feet close to the fire, rarely have to think on the spot etc.

Reactions: Dak
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/o...olitanism.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

The people who consider themselves “cosmopolitan” in today’s West, by contrast, are part of a meritocratic order that transforms difference into similarity, by plucking the best and brightest from everywhere and homogenizing them into the peculiar species that we call “global citizens.”

This species is racially diverse (within limits) and eager to assimilate the fun-seeming bits of foreign cultures — food, a touch of exotic spirituality. But no less than Brexit-voting Cornish villagers, our global citizens think and act as members of a tribe.

i found this, enjoy

eIFvGRA.jpg

Reactions: CiG and Dak
I'm confused, and not in a contentious way, just disinterestedly confused - is tribalism supposed to be good, or bad? Because I think we often tend to excuse it when it suits our comforts, and demonize it when it doesn't. I'm not sure what the criticism is, because it's clear that tribalism has its benefits and its drawbacks.

I went through a phase where I thought it was bad. Now I think it simply is, and that it can have both positive and negative expressions.