Bricks for Shoulders - You Are, Therefore I Am

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Bricks for Shoulders - You Are, Therefore I Am
Far Between Records - 2006
By Adam McAuley

BFS_youare.jpg

Right from the onset, one can detect a very hollow, raw production job and an equally raw approach to the band's mid-tempo hardcore style. There's a very bleak mindset present in the lyrics and this is shown by very passionate, but not necessarily pristine vocals.

The band sacrifices complexity for an angst-ridden approach and it works relatively well for the style they play, but they lack depth because of it. Still for such a short lengthed album, there is certainly a reasonable amount of bang for your buck. But the lack of substance is my biggest complaint with this album. They offer a short burst of adrenaline and make a fun experience, but there is no splendid quality to the album to warrant a high recommendation. Rather we're left with a small feeling of tepidness and incompleteness to something that could be bettered by both a more innovative approach and a longer running time. It has a quirky appealing quality for some reason, but the music lacks the depth to make it a truly worthy album.

Instead what we're left with is a brief outburst of accessibility wrapped within an angsty shell, but not a whole lot more than that. I suppose this gets a recommendation to people that are a fan of slightly punk induced hardcore, but not for someone looking for a truly worthwhile and involving experience. Hopefully the band will decide to revamp their sound into something more ingenious on future offerings.

5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Bricks for Shoulders Website
Official Far Between Records Website