Bring on the tzatziki!

Athens' gig ticket:
dt-ticket-athens.jpg

Athens' gig promotion thingy:
dt-athens-promotion.jpg

I won't be going, i couln't get a visa because i don't have health insurance. I think that i will be eternally pissed about this, it's just not fair..really not. Plus there will be some special surprises in thessloniki... sigh

DT site said:
The shows in Hellas this weekend went great, and the Greek audience was (as usual) nothing short of fantastic. Also, huge thanks to Mr. Johan Edlund of Tiamat for lending his vocal chords to "Misery's crown" in Thessaloniki. It was the first time that we've had a guest musician onstage, and it was truly a memorable event.

@thesipofseduction: I suppose the surprise was Edlund's vocals on Misery's Crown. I'm curious myself as to whether he just sang the clean part or did some growls as well.

As for the gig in Athens, it was simply amazing. DT were the headliners, but they played first since Samael were obviously late (Mikael mentioned something about their flight). It came as a shocker to me, and i was really lucky since i arrived only a few minutes before they started playing. I managed to squeeze in the front of the balcony, so i had the most excellent view i've ever had in a DT show (i was right next to the sound technician and i could see the whole stage as if it was right in front of me). I could also see the setlist, which took away part of the surprise factor, but was good all the same. Too bad i didn't take a picture of the setlist and failed to memorise it. The vibe in all the songs was unbelievable, even though i'm a fan of the older songs, it made me love all the new songs as well (as mentioned elsewhere). It could rank as the best show of them i've seen in terms of performance. Mikael is absolutely magnificent on stage, his vocals so powerful and faultless, he exceeded my expectations.
They played Punish My Heaven, Lethe and Hedon, which is all i could have asked for. They also played ThereIn, The Wonders At Your Feet, and the rest of the songs were off DD, Character and Fiction (Inside the Particle Storm being the highlight for me). They started off with Terminus and The Lesser Faith, and the encore was 3 songs (Punish My Heaven, My Negation and the New Build). Unfortunately i can't remember the exact order of the rest of the songs. I don't remember how long it lasted either, it must have been something between 1.5 and 2 hours (i think 17 songs). The reconstruction of the setlist i managed from other past setlists and from what i remember is this:

Terminus
The Lesser Faith
Treason Wall
The Wonders At Your Feet
Lost To Apathy
ThereIn
Lethe
Final Resistance
Inside The Particle Storm
The Endless Feed
Focus Shift
Icipher
Misery's Crown
Hedon

Punish My Heaven
My Negation
The New Build

If anyone has the correct order of the songs, please feel free to post.

By the way, some videos of the night are already on youtube.

edit: Samael were good for the first 3 or 4 songs. Then they gave me a headache. I also couldn't stop laughing at the lack of a human playing the drums that were set on stage (i guess Satan must have played them since you could hear them all the same), the constantly brutal speaking voice of Vorph (he either has permanently damaged vocal chords or takes his role too seriously), and the utter gayness of the long haired guy who needed air blowing on his hair to make him look cool while moving like a pansy. Needless to say that, while everyone headbanged and moshed during DT, nearly noone moved a finger or shook their head during Samael. Good thing that DT played first, so i could leave.

@Dafne: Not really, i only had a crappy camera with me. I took 2 or 3 pictures and then gave up, it all looked the same from that distance, and it was too distracting. I'm sure they'll turn out bad anyway. The thing i always regret every time i see DT is not taking enough pictures.

Siren, thanks for taking the time to post those details...was kinda painful to read through, thinking to the chance I've lost...the playlist matches my wishlist for a dt gig almost perfectly. damn.

is there anyone having some video of this gig?

@thesipofseduction: i'm sorry you missed it. :( i hope you will get another chance soon.
if you search on youtube (dark tranquillity and athens or thessaloniki) you will find several videos from the two gigs.

@thesipofseduction: I suppose the surprise was Edlund's vocals on Misery's Crown. I'm curious myself as to whether he just sang the clean part or did some growls as well.

misery's crown starts at about 5:20 here:

by the look of it he at least sings during the chorus as well. a bit hard to tell if it's growls or some other backing vocals, though, since he's not particularly audible even when alone. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Delirious: Thanks for posting this, i hadn't noticed Johan brought the mic to his mouth during the chorus, so i assumed he did only clean vocals. Mikael pwns him. :p