Brootz (5150, lsd snares, real overheads etc)

chrism3006

Mar 24, 2009
Hey guys just looking to gather some opinions on my latest mix;

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1681257/STD Final Mix 3.mp3

The guitars are 5150, the drums are slate for the kit with the snare blended with one of lasse's drum samples and the overheads are real (nt5's for OH SM7 for hats and 4041 for China). This set up works pretty well for the moment. Here's a vid of the recording set up of your interested:

http://vimeo.com/16264901

Let me know what you recon!

Chris.

fuck yes, this song is awesome!

guitar tone is crushing, what cab/mic did you use?

my only problem with the song is that the pig squeals are quite weak.. compared to the rest of the vocals!

thanks,

fuck yes, this song is awesome!

guitar tone is crushing, what cab/mic did you use?

my only problem with the song is that the pig squeals are quite weak.. compared to the rest of the vocals!

thanks,

Hey,

It was the standard 57 on a Mesa OS cab. Fairly centered over the speaker as I wanted the gritty sort of tone for this song. I think I might of taken abit too much off with my low pass though, check out the new mix I did here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1681257/STD Final Mix 4.mp3

Raised my low pass and tried to add abit more weight/body to the kick.

Thoughts?

Alway's dug people using an e-kit with real cymbal's

It really is the perfect solution for me, I can't really have a live kit in this room and I have neighbors fairly close. It also makes editing a breeze, so when I have projects like this where It was all done in a day I can just mute the cymbals and quantize the kit to track guitars to.

Thanks for the feedback, how do you feel about the bass level? If you could check out the changed version above aswell that'd be awesome! :)

i've managed to break both my headphones and my monitors, so for now, all i can really say is i can hear the increased low end! aha.

it's a shame your track isn't drawing attention from more people..!

thanks,

i've managed to break both my headphones and my monitors, so for now, all i can really say is i can hear the increased low end! aha.

it's a shame your track isn't drawing attention from more people..!

thanks,

Haha, no worries man thanks for trying :)

The thing i'm not sure about is the bass level, I listen on everything I have and its sounds maybe a tad bass heavy, especially when referenced to commercial material.

Anyone care to chime in?

:wave:

bass is a lil loud, i fuckin love every second of it tho i can never get enough bass

and this is heavy as a mother fucker!!! +1 pig squeals are el quiet

The mix is real cool, but those guitars are a bit fatiguing. Watch out what midrange you're boosting in the vocals as well, and where the sibilance sits with them.

Vari fi FTW

Totally punishing, came to post something and now I'm scared.

If I had to point out anything the snare in the middle sounded a little fake.

I would love my shit to sound this good. Great job.

Tom

bass is a lil loud, i fuckin love every second of it tho i can never get enough bass

and this is heavy as a mother fucker!!! +1 pig squeals are el quiet

Thanks man, I think I'll drop the bass a little bit.

The pig squeals do seem pretty quiet listening back, I guess its just my dislike for sqealing :lol:

The reverb on that snare is awesome!
Any info on it?

No verb, just the room mics from slate parrallel comped to hell.

not bad but nothing earth shattering in the least.... sounds like a not quite matured 'hood mix.

Thanks... I guess :lol: I've not been doing this properly for that long and I'm still learning, anything in particular I could improve on?

:kickass: